News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender woman denied food at soup kitchen because she was wearing a dress

Started by stephaniec, May 02, 2019, 05:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Transgender woman denied food at soup kitchen because she was wearing a dress

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/04/transgender-woman-ejected-church-soup-kitchen-wearing-dress/?fbclid=IwAR2MqS_S1RsiphihDEujcTD0Yrsqd-aT-j888C57dSdc1JSnQOWGoZwpBT4#.XMNGF5EG91c.facebook

LGBTQ Nation/By Dawn Ennis Monday, April 24, 2017

"Red Cloud, 26, identifies as Two Spirit and is currently unemployed. She wore a dress on Saturday when she visited Union Gospel Mission of Sioux Falls, which is not affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. Red Cloud said she was told by a man identified only as "Don," that she had to leave because she was "dressed inappropriately," and that she could not come back until she "dressed like a man.""
  •  

Alice V

Ironically, they appealing to obedience to the God and disruptiveness of being TG. Respecting beliefs of one offending feelings of another. Property rights wins, I guess?
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

Bea1968

Wow, that article stymies me.  I get that most churches don't approve of folk like us but one would think that from their own teachings that their arms should be open and their demeanor loving.  Well, I guess reality don't work that way.
  •  

Alice V

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 02, 2019, 06:06:09 PM
Wow, that article stymies me.  I get that most churches don't approve of folk like us but one would think that from their own teachings that their arms should be open and their demeanor loving.  Well, I guess reality don't work that way.
Crusaders freed muslims and pagans from their wealth with all their love, I'm sure.

My place
  •  

Julia1996

Omg. Really?? This is just awful. Religious people love everyone as long as they are not LGBT. I can't stand bible thumpers.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Alice V

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 06:36:09 PM
Omg. Really?? This is just awful. Religious people love everyone as long as they are not LGBT. I can't stand bible thumpers.
Not neccessary religious and not neccessary LGBT. People just like to hate other people who somehow differ from them. Some wanna abuse us, some just fear us.

My place
  •  

MaryT

Even if being trans were a sin, it doesn't make sense.  Jesus made a point of dining with sinners and accepting their hospitality. 
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: MaryT on May 02, 2019, 07:58:19 PM
Even if being trans were a sin, it doesn't make sense.  Jesus made a point of dining with sinners and accepting their hospitality.

That is because many Christians do not understand the bible and do what it says. They did not bother to read the New Testament and comprehend what it said.
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Alice V on May 02, 2019, 06:09:51 PM
Crusaders freed muslims and pagans from their wealth with all their love, I'm sure.

That's true but I don't single out the Christian crusaders as the only aggressors.  Christians in Europe were often attacked by pagan Vikings, and Jerusalem and Istanbul were part of the Christian Byzantine Empire before they were conquered by Muslims.  Crusaders sometimes fought other Christians, too, such as when they sacked what is now Istanbul, and when Alexander Nevsky defeated the crusading Teutonic Knights while leading a combined Christian and pagan army.
  •  

Janes Groove

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Janes Groove on May 02, 2019, 08:13:30 PM
This is what the religious right means when they say "religious freedom."

Freedom to persecute, hate, and then eradicate. Ya, it is just like that. History tells the story well with all religions. It's all been done before.
  •  

Alice V

QuoteThat is because many Christians do not understand the bible and do what it says. They did not bother to read the New Testament and comprehend what it said.
People believe in what they want to believe and justified it with everything they find. They don't need such level of understanding.

QuoteThat's true but I don't single out the Christian crusaders as the only aggressors.  Christians in Europe were often attacked by pagan Vikings, and Jerusalem and Istanbul were part of the Christian Byzantine Empire before they were conquered by Muslims.  Crusaders sometimes fought other Christians, too, such as when they sacked what is now Istanbul, and when Alexander Nevsky defeated the crusading Teutonic Knights while leading a combined Christian and pagan army.
And now muslims exploding bombs in trains, but that isn't the point, I just answered about chirsian "loving demeanor". Pagans also fought each other, but they didn't call that crusade - they just made simple raids for goods or taking lands without religious context. It was more honest. And, btw, in opposite to christianity, their beliefs encouraged them to fight and die instead of turning other cheek, so it doesn't count.

My place
  •  

Alice V

QuoteFreedom to persecute, hate, and then eradicate. Ya, it is just like that. History tells the story well with all religions. It's all been done before.

So, when we'll give racists and nazi freedom of their beliefs? Oh, wait, we took it in 1945, guess we offended them.

My place
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Alice V on May 02, 2019, 08:24:03 PM
So, when we'll give racists and Nazi freedom of their beliefs? Oh, wait, we took it in 1945, guess we offended them

He was voted in then decided to start killing millions of people after convincing people that they were less than human. We transgendered people are being made to be less than human so the slippery slope has begun.
  •  

plastic-mayhem

Quote from: GingerVicki on May 02, 2019, 08:38:15 PM
He was voted in then decided to start killing millions of people after convincing people that they were less than human. We transgendered people are being made to be less than human so the slippery slope has begun.

I wouldnt be that worried.  Its just one side of the propaganda coin, the other side being pro-trans feel-good articles and fluff pieces in the liberal media completely lacking in substance.

Theres a lot of dehumanizing going on these days.  Look at how hard people are trying to dehumanize white supremacists...those folk are people too, regardless of ignorant beliefs. 

Theres a big business keeping people turned against each other.....  Most of this dehumanizing is a symptom of that, and not real heartfelt hatred.

At any rate the answer is to show people our humanity; keep showing people our humanity.  Remain visible and real without being a sensation.  At least in my opinion. Demanding rights might be less effective than proving why we deserve them
  •  

AnneK

QuoteReligious people love everyone as long as they are not LGBT.

It's not just LGBT, it's anyone they choose to dislike, including those in favour of abortion, other religions, other factions within their religion and more.  One thing that happened years ago, was the Pope got together with head of Judaism and Islam and they all agreed they should work together.  Then after the conference was over the Pope said they could all do that by accepting Christ.  Religion is just one more thing that's used to justify bigotry.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Cindy

:police:

And on this Forum we practice tolerance and acceptance and not hate and vitriol. Please keep that in mind.
  •  

Julia1996

It's just beyond me how anyone could deny food to a hungry person under any circumstances. That's just heartbreaking that anyone could be so unfeeling.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Maid Marion

http://www.ucc.org/into_the_mystic_the_rainbow_flag

The Rainbow Flag
As many of you who listen to this podcast know, the United Church of Christ is an Open and Affirming denomination – which is to say, in part, we do not regard one's sexual orientation or gender identity as an impediment to full participation in the ministerial or sacramental life of the church.

You probably also know that, given our Congregational polity, holding that value as a denomination does not require any of our local congregations to adopt it. They can make those decisions on their own – and they do.

Because of that, it has become common practice for the congregations that do vote to become Open and Affirming to display a rainbow flag somewhere on their property. It is a shorthand way of saying "All are welcome here."
  •  

Alice (nym)

dress like a man? 

Was she wearing a full length dress?

or a short skirt?

or was it something more knee high?
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •