Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transgender people in US routinely mistreated by police, report finds

Started by stephaniec, May 08, 2019, 02:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Transgender people in US routinely mistreated by police, report finds

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/05/07/transgender-people-mistreated-police-united-states/

Pink News/Patrick Kelleher    05/07/2019

"A new report has examined the practices of 25 police forces in the United States and found that many routinely mistreat transgender people and have inadequate protections in place."
  •  

Bea1968

Interesting read but somewhat short on content.   I can't say that I am surprised by much of the findings.  As always, it's a process and nothing changes as fast as we would like.
  •  

AnneK

Given his track record, I expect the problem to get worse as long as Trump is president.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Michelle_P

The full report from the National Center for Transgender Equality is here:

https://transequality.org/issues/resources/failing-to-protect-and-serve-police-department-policies-towards-transgender-people

Links to reports on individual cities are at the bottom of the page.

San Francisco has the best report, but still falls short of the recommendations in several areas.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

HappyMoni

On the way home from work there was a headline news item on the radio about a trans woman being detained and transported with male detainees. This is Baltimore. At least the news talked about it. I read about Tennessee trying to pass all these anti-trans bills now. They (the republicans) are trying to shove them through and they would affect bathroom use for trans people. Screw going to Gatlinburg any more.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Lady Sarah

As long as the prison system considers all trans women to be male, you can expect the police to treat us as such if they even think we are trans. Want it to change? Wait for a shift in political power, and reform the prison system. Hopefully we won't go too far backwards before the opportunity arises.

I know... it's always the right time. But, not when all your efforts be overwritten with a VETO.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Linde

One of the reasons that I pushed really heavily to get all my stuff changed to my new name and gender identifier is because of the concern I  have to be mistreated by the authorities.
My daughter in law, who is in an elevated position with the largest Sheriff department in Minnesota wants me to wear a Sheriff Shirt (with embroidered star on but no badge), when I travel up north.  She gave me a letter on official letter head that I am her in law, and that any law officer should contact her if there are any problems.

The problems are real, and as it was said, as long as the current administration has the say, it might get down the tube for us pretty fast!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•