News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Re: The Stephanie Chronicles 2.0

Started by steph2.0, September 10, 2018, 08:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on September 10, 2018, 05:14:15 AM
WOW!!!! Stephanie, you look amazing! That is an awesome photo and yes, it should be your new avatar.

So happy you had such a great weekend. It's a joy to follow along on your journey.

Hugs,
Jayne

Aww, thank you, Jayne. And don't think that just because I don't comment much, that I'm not following and taking joy in your latest accomplishments! You're killin' it, girl!

BTW, if you look closely at some of the pics, you'll see I'm back to the lavender nail polish we talked about so long ago...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Donica on September 10, 2018, 07:46:53 AM
Lovely pictures Stephanie! Oh yes! Isn't it wonderful to have our own things to fill our clothes :D. I love your new avatar! I hope the week and next weekend goes just as well.

Hugs,
Donica.

You're a sweetheart, Donica. Thank you!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Lest anyone think that life is just a wonderful bowl of cherries and everything always goes perfectly, here are a few things that have happened lately that show that life has a way of balancing things out.

D has always been one of my most steadfast supporters in my close-knit neighborhood, and she and next door neighbors J and G are the rocks that stabilize my social life here. Well, out of the blue on Thursday, Sue asked me whether I'd received a text message from D. She had sent text invitations to all the women in the neighborhood for an ongoing card game night at her house that she was putting together (something called Bunco). She made a point that she was inviting every woman she knew, because she had to have at least sixteen to make it work.

And I received nothing. It seemed I'd been deliberately excluded. I would have texted or called to ask about it, but since I hadn't even been officially notified, it seemed that I wasn't supposed to even know about it, so I didn't feel I had the right to say anything. I was completely devastated. Had she decided I really didn't count as a woman? What had I done wrong? Had I offended her? Why had she withdrawn the support I leaned on? I had a terrible meltdown, and I couldn't do a thing about it.

Early Friday morning I got an email from her. Apparently Sue had sent a short email to her to tell her what her exclusion had done to me. She wrote back, apologizing profusely, and told me that leaving me out had nothing to do with her complete acceptance and encouragement of me as a woman. It was to protect me from the rest of the group she was inviting - the majority of whom were in her Sunday school class at her church. This was so outside any possibility for me that it was hard to believe.

That morning I walked down to her house, and we sat on her swing and talked for at least an hour. She is quite religious, and, though I can't remember this, had asked me once whether I believe in God. I had told her I did not, but I consider myself to be a secular humanist, and live my life under an ethical code that says I will show respect to anyone who does the same for me. I also do not discuss my personal beliefs unless specifically asked - respectfully - about them, since I don't believe it's anyone's right to attempt to force their views on anyone else.

Apparently I am the only one in her circle of friends who isn't religious to some extent or another, though she wasn't sure about Sue (who agrees with me) and was going to warn her about her friends before the first get-together. She had decided that I was in a fragile state as I'm transitioning, and didn't want to subject me to what would happen when some of her friends found out I was atheist (she used "agnostic" but I'm not sure she understands the meaning). She said it was dead certain that if some of them found out I was atheist, they would turn a fun meeting into a tent revival and attempt to convert me.

I was stunned. I understand that their beliefs are part of their identity, but would they truly tear apart a fun social event to browbeat someone into their belief system? What kind of people are incapable of showing a little respect for other views? It's no wonder that humans can't get along. There are hundreds or even thousands of different, and in some cases, conflicting beliefs on this planet, and a potential friend immediately becomes the enemy as soon as it's realized they don't think exactly like you? Where is tolerance? Respect? Love?

All I could do is thank her for attempting to protect me. If she had said something about this in her initial message, and at least included me, I wouldn't have had such a bad night. Yes, I should be able to shrug off such things as being excluded, even if the reason was I'm trans, and if it had been anyone else, it would have been a lot easier.

We talked more about my transition, which she still is 100% supportive of - her grandson is FTM, so she's no stranger to the concept - and after hugs I walked back home, mentally shaking my head at the state of humanity. I won't be attending her parties. As you know, I had my own party later that night (which D had declined an invitation to, considering it was an hour and a half drive from home) which was so wonderful that it counteracted the previous terrible day, and then some.

Today a few other things happened that got me down, though not nearly as devastating as Thursday's incident. First was a return call to a member of our flying club, who joined after I had gone full time and was voted back in as president. He only knows me as Stephanie, unlike every other member of the club. He had commented before that he thought it was cool that the club was run by women, and had so many female members. I called him back on a number he was unfamiliar with, and using my best voice, asked for him by name. He replied, "Yes, sir." I uncomfortably laughed it off, told him it was ma'am, actually, then told him who I was, and went on with the conversation. He didn't even seem to notice, and being the gregarious type, told me a long story about why he'd called, and we had a decent conversation. But darn, I thought I was starting to get the voice figured out. I had decided when I called that I didn't want to push it too far, considering that he'd heard my voice in person a lot by now, and I didn't want to sound too different. I guess I can't allow myself to relax at all on it. (I do have a positive phone voice experience I'll tell in another post.) Anyway, that was the first thing to make me unhappy.

Then I ran into another roadblock. Tomorrow I have a Skype consultation with the guy who does hair grafts at FacialTeam. I expect he'll want to get closeups of my scalp and hairline, so I hooked up a wired camera to my laptop, which usually uses the built-in camera.

I'm used to seeing myself from in front, and generally speaking I'm pretty satisfied with my progress. But while setting up and testing the camera, I had to look at myself from terribly unflattering angles. I realized that that's what most people are seeing, and it completely trashed my self-confidence. That, following closely on the voice fail, had me close to tears this evening.

A combination of things made me feel better, though I'm still not back to 100%. First was Cassie and I did a video chat, and as always, she was finally able to pull a smile out of me. I don't know what I'd do without her. The other thing was I forced myself to go back and read the other posts I've written here in the last week, to remind myself that I'm actually doing okay, despite my deficiencies. And as Cassie pointed out, the deficiencies I have are exactly why I'm having these consultations. I'm working hard to address them.

It's just that when I get to feeling that bad, instead of being told that "I'll get there some day," what I really need to hear is someone telling me that I actually am "already there" for one thing or another. Being reminded that I'll be right some time in the undefined future just highlights that I'm not right now.

But I'll be okay. I suppose downs are inevitable after all the ups I've had lately, and I guess it might be helpful to folks just getting started to know that even those who have made some progress have bad days, too.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Back to happier stories.

My birthday last Monday just happened to fall on the night of a group support meeting I attend occasionally. Cassie and I went, and J (who would attend my birthday party on Friday) brought a cake for me. It's not a large group, so we each got a chance to talk for a bit, while the others pigged out on chocolate cake. It was so nice that she thought of me.

After the meetings we usually all go out to dinner, but for some reason that fell apart, so Cassie and I went on our own. We ended up with the same waitress on whom we'd practiced "channelling Tia" way back in March. We had been impressed with the way the staff at the Breakfast Club in Phoenix had remembered and welcomed Tia back every time we went, and we had vowed to follow her example of warm interaction with everyone around her. It worked. Roxanne remembered almost all of our conversation six months ago, and we had another good one that night. When she found out it was my birthday (someone whose initials are "Cassie" let the cat out of the bag, but of course, being a perfectly sane cat lady, that's her duty) she tried to force even more cake on us, which we politely and repeatedly declined. As an experiment, though, I asked her how old she thought I was. Even with my rough skin and thinning hair, she pegged me at 48. I'll take it!

So that was pretty cool, but the best was when my mom called to wish me a happy birthday while we were eating. I put on my voice as I always try to do, and said hello. Pause. "Is this Sue?" Ha! No, it's your daughter Stephanie. It took a while to convince her she was talking to me, and I was not going to let the old voice in to convince her, especially since our waitress was nearby. I guess it's something when you fool your own mother on the phone.

So it worked out to be a pretty nice night. Whether anyone else actually reads it here, it's the kind of thing I like to put into writing so I can look back on it as a reminder of good times when days like today happen.

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:
On your recent update post you stated:
..... But I'll be okay. I suppose downs are inevitable after all the ups I've had lately, and I guess it might be helpful to folks just getting started to know that even those who have made some progress have bad days, too.

This is called real life and it is very good that you stated what you did....  yes indeed, we all have our bad days, even the most successful people with the most positive things happening in their lives... 
It is important for all of us to understand that real life concept...
....thank you for so clearly bringing that to light in your postings

Wow-whee, your newest photos are fantastic and your Avatar/Profile picture is a picture of a very beautiful woman....  your transition goals in just 15 months of HRT are being wonderfully achieved.... and there is more coming your way as you continue.

Thank you for continuing sharing your life and transition journey will all of us.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Faith

There's a lot to cover in here, Steph. I'll stick with commiseration and empathication (made that up but apparently there's lots of hits in google) and elation .. simply because I'm horrendous at replying to anything.

couple things though:

QuoteIt's just that when I get to feeling that bad, instead of being told that "I'll get there some day," what I really need to hear is someone telling me that I actually am "already there" for one thing or another. Being reminded that I'll be right some time in the undefined future just highlights that I'm not right now.
I'm right there with you. I'm still 99% guy but in the right lighting I make it to 80%.
(percentiles pulled out of my nether regions because I can)
I think my percentiles beat yours ... I also think I'd rather be losing on this one :(

Quotewould they truly tear apart a fun social event to browbeat someone into their belief system? What kind of people are incapable of showing a little respect for other views? It's no wonder that humans can't get along. There are hundreds or even thousands of different, and in some cases, conflicting beliefs on this planet, and a potential friend immediately becomes the enemy as soon as it's realized they don't think exactly like you? Where is tolerance? Respect? Love?
Yes, they would. I know this first-hand. I am fortunate in that I have also met the flip side. Know that not all devout religious types follow such stringent close-minded thinking. I happen to be married to one.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Donica

Dear Stephanie!

It's ironic that it always seem to be the religious folks that have the most trouble with us. They are supposed to be supportive and non judgemental but it is they that are the worst. I lost a long time friend after coming out to him, who wasn't even religious until the last 7 years of our friendship. The silliest thing is, we are still the same people they have always known. The only difference is that they now know we are trans. I stand with you in that I couldn't ever be a part of that kind of religinion. It's sad that this type of thing exist.

As for Pictures,,,,,  ::) They always say the camera adds 10 pounds, and maybe it does, but the biggest this is that the lighting is never the same as when we look in the mirror. I can't stand my face in pictures but I do think I look better in the mirror.

I can speak intelligently about a feminine voice as my first visit with a voice therapist is next wednesday. However, I have been practicing with YouTube videos for over a year. It is the most difficult part of my transitioning. As you mentioned, You can't allow yourself to relax at all.

I promise to never tell you "you will get there some day" as you really are already there. Your warm, fun and kind words have been a big inspiration to me through my transitioning. Thanks for being there.

Hugs Stephanie!!!
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

KathyLauren

Stephanie, I am sorry that life sucker-punched you a couple of times.  Still, when your own mother doesn't recognize your voice, you know you are rockin' it!  Hang in there, hun!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Rayna

Steph, I I am reminded of your wonderful yodeling story -- you are doing great and are an inspiration to so many of us!

As for the non-invitation, welcome to the club! Every little (or teenage) girl has experienced this. Not that you want it, but what happened, and your reaction to it are quintessentially female. I'm glad you and D could talk it out, which is the domain of adults. Little girls usually don't know how to heal that way.

Continue to be strong as you regularly show us how to be.
Randy

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 10, 2018, 11:49:18 PM
....So that was pretty cool, but the best was when my mom called to wish me a happy birthday while we were eating. I put on my voice as I always try to do, and said hello. Pause. "Is this Sue?" Ha! No, it's your daughter Stephanie. It took a while to convince her she was talking to me, and I was not going to let the old voice in to convince her, especially since our waitress was nearby. I guess it's something when you fool your own mother on the phone.

Stephanie

Sounds like your voice is coming along really well. Its a testament to your progress that your Mum could not recognise your voice.

Great Photo's

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

Thank you for the kind and insightful replies! Things have improved in surprising ways since I last reported in.

First, and most surprising of all, I got an email Tuesday afternoon from D - formally inviting me to her Bunco get-together! This was a bit of a shock, of course, and since I'd be seeing her later that evening, I sent her a text that I'd like to talk for a few minutes then. As you may recall, once she'd told me the reason for excluding me in the first place, I'd decided it wasn't in anyones interest to have me there. But we'd talk about that later.

That night was our monthly flying club meeting. The restaurant we have our meetings in had changed hands, so there was all new staff. I had long ago given up toning down my presentation for the members of the club - I've been out to them for nearly a year, so they should be used to seeing their female president presenting 100% as herself by now. Other than a couple of inadvertent misgendering incidents from one member sitting across from me the evening went smoothly. The few members who have never met the old me weren't there, and the waitress didn't hear, so no big deal. I asked her to please be careful, and outlined the pronouns she should be using, and she embarrassingly apologized and promised to do better.

After the meeting I went aside with D to talk about her invitation. I told her that after her explanation I was a bit apprehensive about accepting. She said that she'd been thinking and praying a lot about it, and came to the conclusion that it would all be fine, and she really wanted me to come. I told her what my plan would be if things got uncomfortable, and finally decided to give it a try. Now that the decision is made, I'm excited to see how I fit in with all the other women. I have no plans to out myself, so it should be an ultimate test of passing. I've read up on the rules of Bunco, and there is an immense amount of social interaction with many different people, so it's a bit outside the comfort zone of this old introvert, but if I can do it, it could be another big step forward out of my shell. The first one is on September 28th.

In other news:

I had a Skype consultation with the hair transplant specialist at FacialTeam on Tuesday morning. It went well until someone started up a jackhammer right next to where he was sitting outside in the beautiful Spanish coast weather. But I did learn that while the transplants are great for filling in the receding areas, adding transplants to areas where there is already existing growth - in an attempt to increase density - will kill the hair already there. He suggested other ways to increase density, including continuing the finasteride and minoxidil I'm already using (with a possible shift to dutasteride later), platelet rich plasma (PRP), scalp massage, and laser treatments. He uses the FUT "strip" method, so he demonstrated exercises to do to stretch the scalp and increase elasticity of the donor area. The more the scalp can be stretched, the larger the donor strip that can be removed, and the more follicles that can be harvested. He also sent me a drawing showing where he would be implanting the follicles.

On Wednesday I had yet another Skype consultation with a cosmetic surgeon not associated with FacialTeam, but with whom they work a lot. He uses their facilities often for his procedures. He again confirmed what I'd already been told: face lift, neck lift, removing fat from my jowls, and adding a little fat to my cheeks, lips, and possibly the point of my chin. Relatively minor stuff - just what any woman my age would need. Despite warnings from FacialTeam that those procedures would have to wait six months after theirs, he thought it would be no problem doing them while I was already there. He'll be checking and letting me know. It would be awesome to get it all done in one trip and move on with my life. We'll see. At this point I'm waiting for his quote.

Ready for the consultation!

I've mentioned my aging dog here a few times. Maggie is going on 15 years old, and I was starting to worry that she was getting thin. She has a ongoing problem with her anal glands, so I took her in to the vet a few weeks ago to get them expressed, and when they weighed her I found that she was down almost eight pounds from the 35 pounds that she's consistently weighed for most of her life. So I set up an appointment for her to see if there was anything seriously wrong, and Sue and I took her in today. While I was of course myself when I took her in two weeks ago, I didn't have any interaction with anyone but the lady at the front desk. Today I was not only going to have a prolonged appointment with a technician and a doctor, but Sue was also along. I had originally planned to go alone, and when she asked to go, too, I got a little anxious, for two reasons. First, I'm still trying to get a handle on how to present our relationship as two women. Second, I'm still fighting to get over my extreme self-consciousness around her about using my voice. This is a roadblock I'm having a very hard time getting around. In any case, I got myself looking good in a casual way, loaded Maggie into the RocketSkate, and blasted off to the vet.

Ready to Rocket off to the vet.

We talked in-depth with the tech, who I hadn't met before, she gave Maggie a good once-over, then a doctor I've never seen before came in. It was decided that she was actually the Fairy Godmother from Shrek. That's who she looked like. She was pretty cool though, and decided to do a chest x-ray and blood and stool tests. While I was holding Maggie on the counter, the technician was at her head saying soothing things, and I heard, "Don't worry, if you jump out of your mama's arms, I'll catch you before you hit the floor." We were literally inches from each other, sometimes touching, and she had no idea. Squeeee!!

The tests all came back negative, and the doctor was quite pleased with the results, which was a huge relief. I had a hard time holding back tears. She gave recommendations for changing her diet, and when I went up to pay the lady said "Thank you ma'am" when I handed over my credit card. Apparently my presentation and voice was good enough, and between the way I was treated and Maggie's diagnosis, I was a pretty happy camper.

My Maggie.

When I got home I changed into my working clothes, put on my cute straw sunhat, and mowed the yard. When I was done I got a shower, then again indulged my dream of lounging in a sundress for the evening. I have had another one for a very long time, but was terrified to wear it because I was sure that the thin straps would never work with my wide shoulders. But I figured nobody was going to see me, so why not try? And, well... OMG. I'll let you be the final judge, but when I sent her a picture, @SassyCassie sent me a video clip of her saying "Oh, WOW!"

Strappy sundress.

There have been other things going on the last couple of days that aren't so happy, but this isn't the place to discuss them. But as @Alaskan Danielle pointed out, that's life, and generally speaking, it's been a reasonably good couple of days. I hope yours has been good, too. Here's a toast to all my friends on Susan's.

Cheers!

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

I hope she doesn't mind if I steal one of her thoughts and expand on it here as regards my own transition, but my BFF @SassyCassie posted this on her own thread, and it got me thinking:

QuoteWhat you said makes me wonder if this is what it feels like to get a different kind of affirmation. Guy friends who actually perceive me as a woman in mind body and spirit and as such, feel like there's no longer a connection. I remember at first when I came out to my friends, one by one, that I told them, "I'll still be me". In a relatively short span, that changed slightly into "I'll still be me - just a kinder, gentler version of me."

After a while I stopped using it entirely because I felt like I was wrong. I am a different person from before.

@Michelle_P also wrote about this:

QuoteYes!  This is something I have seen in others of us as we complete our psychological/social transitions and settle into our new lives.  They are NEW lives, not lived by the old rules and habits we had when trying to pass as that which we were not.

Being our authentic selves is liberating, and we have the chance to seize life, not as something to be carefully planned and plotted but to be lived!

I, too, had used the line, "I'll still be me," and I did truly believe it. But it seems that, not the transitioning itself, but the strength and resolve that I was required to find within myself to carry it through successfully, has changed my perception of everything. And that has changed who I am and the way I interact with the world.

No longer am I willing to accept the status quo; to "go along to get along." My horizons were so narrow, my life so confining, my entire being so compromised in service to comfort and safety. Without even truly realizing it, I had put my thirst for learning new things, for excitement, for adventure, for discovering things that awe, on the back burner to satisfy the expectations of others. I realize now that I had allowed myself to waste my young adulthood and early middle age living the retired rocking-chair lifestyle (albeit, with work thrown in). Here I am, arrived at the the time of life when many people are thinking about starting to live as I have for the last 30 years, and I have a craving to make up for lost time.

I fear that this will mean scary changes, small and large, in both short and long-term relationships. Those who have had little problem accepting my transition may have a harder time dealing with what they're likely to perceive as a fundamental change in my personality as I embrace reawakened needs. There are already ominous rumblings over the horizon.

As for relationships with my old male friends, I do seem to see some distancing, though I acknowledge that it may be on my part as much as theirs. In the old days as I would walk Maggie around the neighborhood I'd stop at each man-cave, catch up on each guy's projects, and talk about what I was working on. I had enough trouble mustering interest in the old days (puleeze don't talk to me about your sports teams yet again, and no, I really don't want a Bud Light, thanks). Now I find myself living in a halfway state, where I have an even harder time showing interest in their stereotypically male obsessions at the same time I'm wondering what the women are up to. The recent invitation to a game night is the very first time I've been involved with something exclusively for women, except for the time when I organized a ladies night out myself. Generally speaking, I'm feeling a little left out of social events in the neighborhood as the men decide I don't fit in with their interests, and most of the women don't seem to regard me as one of them yet. I find myself leaving the neighborhood in search of social interaction, which just increases the distance around home. There are neighborhood-wide events where I'm not excluded, but smaller impromptu sit-down-and-chat sessions with the women don't include me.

I'm not particularly brought down by all this, and I'm hopeful that eventually things will evolve until I'm just another woman around here, and as Cassie talked about, maybe some day those friendships with Steve that have been strained by my new-found self-awareness, will end up as strong with Stephanie - assuming my personal evolution doesn't dictate that I pull up stakes and surrender to a call of greener pastures elsewhere.

I'm just stating facts, I guess, and getting it out there that this kind of thing is probably an inevitable part of transitioning.

Stephanie

•  

Faith

All so true. I am ¿lucky? in that I didn't have any male friends to end up distanced from. I do seem to, however, have accumulated lots of new girl friends and a couple of associated male friends.

Lori gets the brunt of the "I'm still me" type comments. I try to state it as, "I'm trying to be a better me" or "I'm trying to let out the me that I think you fell in love with"  Jury is still out on how well that's working. Overall she likes the new me much better. It's the loss of the perceived male that she's having trouble with.

ps.
nice photos.
my anti-typing issue prevented me from saying anything before even though I saw them immediately.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Rayna

Thanks for the discussion about "I'm still me." I'm actually trying to change "me" as much as anything physical. I am fostering my softer, more caring and perceptive side, such as it is.
Thanks, Randy

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: RandyL on September 14, 2018, 10:43:34 AM
Thanks for the discussion about "I'm still me." I'm actually trying to change "me" as much as anything physical. I am fostering my softer, more caring and perceptive side, such as it is.

Hi Randy, thank you for reading!

I haven't been able to figure out whether these changes are something I'm doing purposely, or whether they're occurring naturally as I allow my inherent nature to surface. In any case, to the world outside my head, it looks the same. "Our old acquaintance is changing much more than their gender. I'm not sure who they are any more."

I guess that's okay. I'm realizing that my path doesn't have to take into account what other people expect of me any more.

I'm sure you feel it, too.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

The phone alerted me to an incoming call (we really can't say the phone rang any more, can we?). Caller ID showed it to be a guy I'd done some work for in the past, and who had become a friend.  We'd always had an easy, bantering, joking friendship, but time slipped away and I hadn't talked to him for about three years.

I let his call go to voice mail, then texted him:

Me: Hi R. I got your message. I'd like to talk with you but I have what might sound like a strange question first. I think I know the answer, but do you consider yourself to be pretty open-minded? I have some news about myself that you might find a bit shocking.

R: Not shocking to me as long as you don't pat me on the butt.

Me:  Not happening. Okay, here's the news. Last spring I was officially diagnosed with something I've known about all my life and was terrified to acknowledge. I am transgender. Since last December I am Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger and I haven't been happier. How is that for a surprise? And believe me, this is not a joke...

The phone immediately "rang."

I answered, and heard, "Hey Stephanie. How are you doing?"

A half hour of explanations, reminiscing, and updates later, we said bye, but not before he commented that I wasn't all that good looking as a guy, so he had his doubts. I vowed to send him some pictures.

I sent him four of my favorites, all of which have been posted here in my thread, and I got back:

R: Not bad for an old girl

Me: You smooth talker you. Maybe I *will* pat your butt.

If you think I look good now, check back in a year. Big changes are coming.

Seriously, thanks for being cool. It was great to talk with you.

Yes, people are cool.

Stephanie

•  

Donica

Wow Stephanie! You have been very busy with your thread. I appreciated your post about "I'll still be me". As you know, I just used it in an earlier post on your thread. This has me deep in thought and I need to rethink a few things.

That phone call from your old friend was nice. I glad your friend are handling this so well.

Thanks Stephanie!
Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

steph2.0

Vignettes

The guy called to tell me he was on his way to replace the windshield in the RocketSkate that had recently been damaged by a rock. After I hung up, the first thought that occurred to me was, "Wait, I'm going to be alone here with a strange guy working in my garage. What if he tries something? Can I defend myself?" The second thought I had was, "Wow, what a definitively female thing to think!" The fact that the thought occurred to me naturally really made me realize how much I've changed.

Everything was fine with the technician, except he didn't have all the right parts for my particular car. He pointed out that the windshield could actually be repaired instead of replaced. We had a long conversation about it and he didn't blink an eye at my presentation. He said, "I can call my boss and just tell him that she would rather fix it than replace it." It took me a millisecond to realize, wait, he's talking about me! The squeee started in my head. When I agreed to get it repaired, he called his boss to set up a new appointment, and I literally lost count of the number of times I heard "she" and "her." "She would rather get it repaired." "We need to set up a new appointment for her." And on and on. The pressure was building. We shook on it and he left so I could go inside and do a happy dance.

We flew to breakfast again this morning. My neighbor B with the airliner-sized plane (that seats four) took neighbors M and her husband G, who had moved to the outside edge of the neighborhood a few years ago, but who I had never met. I have no idea whether they know my story, though B managed to misgender me then correct himself in front of them. I didn't react. And as we talked over breakfast, when M found out I build airplanes her eyes opened wide and she said, "You GO, girl!!" Later she said something about how cool it was that a woman builds planes.

A simple thing, but affirming. As I paid for breakfast, the cashier complimented me on my nail color.

All of that pretty much made up for the radio conversation on the way in. B mentioned to another plane that was approaching, "You've got another plane in the pattern (referring to me). He's on downwind now." To which the other plane replied, "Yes, I heard him on the radio." Sigh. I was really working the voice, too. I guess I need to go way over the top when on the phone or radio. I use the same voice in person and don't seem to have any problem.

But despite that, on balance it's been a pretty good day.

Stephanie

•  

Kendra

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 15, 2018, 12:22:32 PM
> Sigh. I was really working the voice, too. I guess I need to go way over the top when on the phone or radio. I use the same voice in person and don't seem to have any problem.

This is exactly the problem I have.  I resorted to vocal surgery, that takes up to to a year for everything to settle in and my voice is better than before but... I get misgendered on the phone.  I need to improve not just pitch but inflection, resonance and other pesky habits developed over a bunch of years.  I knew that before VFS but I need to work harder.  In person, people subconsciously identify gender by combining a bunch of details they see and hear.  When people can only hear and not see their awareness is totally different. 

In the 1970s the best piano tuner north of Seattle was a blind person.  He was in high demand as he could quickly tune a piano to perfection without the distraction of the visual world. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Donica

Wonderful update Stephanie. I know, right! How cool is that! I finally started calling my self Donica in my thoughts. Yes, I mean talking to my self. Hay, they now say it's a sign of intelligence. In a thought about defending myself, I bought a can of pepper spray because if someone started something, I would not be able to defend myself.

I don't know what to say about being misgendered on the phone and radio. I still get misgendered even standing right in front of them in a dress? I do have my first voice therapy appointment next week. I was wondering how/what are you doing to practicing/work on your voice to help feminize?

Donica.
  •