Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Questions about bi-genderfluidity, transition, and generally figuring myself out

Started by ScramBrain, May 12, 2019, 02:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScramBrain

Quote from: Devlyn on May 16, 2019, 07:55:25 AM
Doctors work within WPATH to ensure that the medical billing is properly coded, and that they get paid. I went in and told them I was genderfluid, that I didn't identify as a woman or a man, and I chose to present female. I got a hormone prescription, and after seven months (not the twelve months recommended by WPATH), I had surgery.

Disclaimer: Before I was given my letter, the psychologist told me that she understood genderfluid, but the insurance companies needed to see certain language before they would approve payment. She read the letter with me, and it certainly sounded more like a transsexual's situation than my own reality. It felt a little flat, but getting the surgery was the goal, not being happy with the contents of insurance correspondence.

Bottom line: WPATH works for non-binary people, too.

Hugs, Devlyn
So depending on who I got for therapists, I could explain that since I'm bi-gender, I'd want to present mainly as male before GRS and have a small dose of hormones while presenting male for maybe five or six months, have to get back off the hormones for a few weeks before and after the surgery, and then say "You know, I want to present mainly feminine now!" and work my way up to near-transition levels. Does this sound like a plausible path? Would out-of-pocket, as previously mentioned, make this process less of a pain instead of having to go through insurance for payment?

Every day that I look at and think about this stuff, the more and more I'm considering a full transition, but still very much have my concerns about having to present as female pre-grs and the particulars of my social situation.

Edit: I decided to look at some of the therapists that are relatively close to me, and I see one that uses the ICATH model instead of the WPATH. How widely recognized is this? It looks looks like it is much more open to non-binary cases while also being more open to surgery (not the exact words, but implied I think) being done at the will of the individual. In general it looks like things might be relatively easy in terms of distance for both surgery and therapists, since I'm in Sacramento, a short drive or even train trip from the San Fransisco Bay Area.
  •  

Devlyn

•