Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How do you crack an egg?

Started by Cindy, May 20, 2019, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

Wow!  There sure is a lot of eggspert advice and techniques being shared here!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: stephaniec on May 22, 2019, 08:52:34 PM
how do you safely crack an ostrich egg
In Australia we can only buy Emu eggs at the supermarket. One egg makes a rather large omlette and Im not eggsxagerating !
[emoji214]
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on May 22, 2019, 11:01:06 PM
In Australia we can only buy Emu eggs at the supermarket. One egg makes a rather large omlette and Im not eggsxagerating !
[emoji214]

Yes, Tristan has told me about Emu eggs and that they are very good. He also told me he's eaten ostrich burgers as well as kangaroo meat. When he first told me that I thought he was just messing with me. But he swears people eat both ostrich and kangaroo meat in Australia. I'm inclined to believe him considering Aussies love vegemite. Ewww.😖
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 22, 2019, 11:15:56 PM
Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on May 22, 2019, 11:01:06 PM
[emoji214]

Yes, Tristan has told me about Emu eggs and that they are very good. He also told me he's eaten ostrich burgers as well as kangaroo meat. When he first told me that I thought he was just messing with me. But he swears people eat both ostrich and kangaroo meat in Australia. I'm inclined to believe him considering Aussies love vegemite. Ewww.😖

I eat a lot of kangaroo meat, particularly kangabangas (sausages made from 'roo eat) the problem is stopping them hopping out of the pan.

I apologise for the eggstraneous comment.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cindy on May 23, 2019, 03:29:12 AM

I eat a lot of kangaroo meat, particularly kangabangas (sausages made from 'roo eat) the problem is stopping them hopping out of the pan.

I apologise for the eggstraneous comment.

Lol.🤣😂
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Anastasia

Quote from: HappyMoni on May 21, 2019, 04:24:15 PM
I put my eggs under a spot light and ask them rapid fire questions like where they were on the night of May 20th? "We know you have no alibi, come on crack."

I agree. After watching the cooks at IHOP, I would say grilling them is the best way to crack an egg.

Seriously, it depends on what I am cracking the egg into. If it is a heavy frying pan, ceramic bowl, or my Kitchen aide mixer, on the side of said bowl. If it is a light bowl or pan, I get a coffee mug and use it. For me, the difference is cracking it on something that doesn't move. I taught my daughter at 5-6 this and she uses it and has never had a shell in her egg. (My record isn't that good).

Cracked eggs into the frying pan for breakfast. According to my state legislature, I had chicken for breakfast.
  •  

HappyMoni

Who knew that "eggs" and "cracks" were a comedy gold mine? Well, maybe "cracks" was obvious.

The comment below was one of my favorites in a poignant kind of way. I'm guessin I know what state you live in.

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2019, 07:06:41 PM

Cracked eggs into the frying pan for breakfast. According to my state legislature, I had chicken for breakfast.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

jkredman

Quote from: LizK on May 20, 2019, 04:56:31 AM
Usually on the side of the pan or bowl...but then I usually end up having to fish the egg shell out of the egg...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •  

Kylo

Bash it once accurately on the side of the bowl or whatever vessel it's supposed to go into. That's how my mother did and why I do it I suppose.

I got enough practice early on to be able to do it without getting bits of shell falling into the mix most of the time.

An emu egg would be great because I like omelettes.

I also ended up with an entire closet full of emu eggs that I was using in sculpting projects. Never had a full egg though
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Cracking a hard boiled egg is different than cracking a raw egg.

After cracking it, then you peel it off, instead of directly emptying the egg and disposing of the shell.  The shell of a hard boiled egg may end up in many, many pieces.  Long nails may pierce the egg as you peel off the shell, so be careful.  But, long nails can help you lift off the shell pieces.

Whatever you do, do it eggscellently.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on May 27, 2019, 09:21:43 PM

After cracking it, then you peel it off, instead of directly emptying the egg and disposing of the shell.  The shell of a hard boiled egg may end up in many, many pieces.  Long nails may pierce the egg as you peel off the shell, so be careful.  But, long nails can help you lift off the shell pieces.

Chrissy

Cracking a hard boiled egg is best accomplished by rolling it, in my experience. Of course it is not an eggsact science.

•  

MaryT

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on May 27, 2019, 09:21:43 PM

Chrissy

I'm usually too lazy to interfere when other people are doing the cooking but I had to when watching my mother peel a hard boiled egg.  She would knock the egg against a board or table until the shell was in innumerable fragments, still clinging to the skin.  She would then spend ages plucking off the tiny bits of eggshell.  It became unbearable to watch, so I showed her that it was easier to crack the shell in just a few places. 
  •  

Senkusha

The easiest way to crack an egg without getting shell bits in your cooking is to give it a hard knock on a FLAT surface, then just peel the egg apart with your two thumbs.

Fun fact:  If you get eggshell bits in your food, you can use a larger piece of eggshell and it will "magnetically" attract the small bits to it.
  •  

Athena

I used to use the side of the pan but I heard that you should use the counter or a flat surface so I started doing that and haven't really had any issues since though I don't use eggs much.
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

Jessica_K

I use a heavy knife, hit the egg in the middle not too hard and pull the shell apart. Very high success rate of non broken yokes and never any shell. I usually make omelettes or scrambled eggs with the occasional fried and hard boiled. I use a lot of eggs..

I had a mushroom omelette for breakfast. 3 eggs, finally sliced mushrooms fried in butter until very soft. Taken off heat and added a very large splash of tamari  till all coated. Add  mushrooms to the omelette when still soft and continue cooking until ready. Absolutely delish. 

Jessica
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

Jessica_Rose

Your egg cracks by itself once you understand the source of your pain.

'You know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life: Something's wrong with the world. You don't know what, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind......driving you mad.' -- Quote from the character Morpheus in 'The Matrix'

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 16, 2024, 06:37:47 AMYour egg cracks by itself once you understand the source of your pain.

I laughed pretty hard seeing that. Kind of says everything.

~Jenn

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

SoupSarah

here are some ways to get more egg-citement when your cracking

Pre-crack Dance: Put on your favorite music and do a little dance with the egg in your hand. Let the egg feel the rhythm before you crack it.

Egg-citing Exclamations: Hold the egg up to your ear and whisper sweet nothings to it like, "You're about to become an egg-cellent dish!"

Crack with Confidence: Give the egg a pep talk like, "You got this, egg! Show that shell who's boss!" Then crack it confidently on the edge of a bowl.

Dramatic Crack: Put on a dramatic voice and announce, "Behold, the cracking of the egg!" as you crack it open with exaggerated flair.

Celebratory Cheers: After successfully cracking the egg, raise your hands in victory and shout, "Egg-celent performance, egg-cellent!"

I believe you have to make an omelette before you can do any of this? right?
Beware the darkness of dragons, Beware the stalker of dreams, Beware the talons of power and fire, Beware one who is not what she seems.

Sarah B

Hi Everyone

With a Sledge Hammer?

Hugs for All
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Everyone

Eggstraordinary answers for; "How do you crack an egg?"

Love and Hugs