Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Therapist Visit for HRT

Started by Lexxi, May 22, 2019, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pamelatransuk

Quote from: steph2.0 on May 23, 2019, 07:13:32 AM
Lexxi,

I'd read that RLE (Real Life Experience) is a requirement in places like the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Stephanie

It usually is for NHS in UK but many of us here including me go private meaning RLE not necessary for HRT. Coincidentally I am starting RLE shortly.

I wish you and Lexxi every happiness and success.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Lexxi on May 23, 2019, 07:56:32 AM
And according to Steph it's going to be lightening fast too, which I really like. I knew you all wouldn't let me down.  :)

Uh oh. I am so in trouble now. I'm trying to backpedal furiously, but the chain just came off the sprockets.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Lexxi

Steph,

When you mentioned sending a check I thought what in the world is she talking about. I had to jump back through all those posts to see what you meant. You got me good...and the checks in the mail. lol

I hope you didn't take the giddy comment as something negative. I meant it only in a good way. You always come across as a strong woman to me, so I hope you can let those feelings of insecurity fly right out the window. From my perspective looking in I don't see where you'd ever need to have any fear or doubt. You're a role model to me.  :)

With that said you're allowed to feel anyway you want to and no one should ever belittle you for the feelings you have. They're yours to do with as you see fit.  :)
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •  

Lexxi

Quote from: pamelatransuk on May 23, 2019, 08:26:51 AM
It usually is for NHS in UK but many of us here including me go private meaning RLE not necessary for HRT. Coincidentally I am starting RLE shortly.

I wish you and Lexxi every happiness and success.

Hugs

Pamela

Good luck with your RLE Pamela!!

xoxo

Lexxi
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Lexxi on May 23, 2019, 09:42:11 AM
Steph,

When you mentioned sending a check I thought what in the world is she talking about. I had to jump back through all those posts to see what you meant. You got me good...and the checks in the mail. lol

Whew. Maybe I can eat this month!

QuoteI hope you didn't take the giddy comment as something negative. I meant it only in a good way. You always come across as a strong woman to me, so I hope you can let those feelings of insecurity fly right out the window. From my perspective looking in I don't see where you'd ever need to have any fear or doubt. You're a role model to me.  :)

Negative? Oh, heck no. I'd love to feel giddy about it all, and at times I do have to pinch myself when I realize how far I've come - like just today at lunch when the waitress asked me, "And what would you like to order, ma'am?" You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I still get that little thrill when it happens. And if I give myself a chance to stop and think about it - really think about it - I literally shiver and have to hold back a squeal of joy over the fact that some time in September, I'm finally going to have the vagina I should have been born with. I guess that qualifies as giddy.

I thank you so much for the compliments. Looking in the mirror I still see so much of him (though he's receding in memory), but knowing that others see what I hope they see makes me feel so good. As for being a role model, I was going to say something self-deprecating like, "what kind of roll, egg or jelly?" but instead I'll be serious for a second. I have so many role models here, girls like @SassyCassie, @Kendra, @Laurie, @Michelle_P, @Happy_Moni, @Anne_Blake, @Jessica_Rose, and so many others I risk offending by not naming. They saw me through good and bad times, have all become good friends, and have shared real-life experiences with me. All of them have accomplished so much, are most of the way through, if not completely finished, with transition, and have stuck around to help those of us following behind. How could I not stay here to pay it forward to those like yourself who are just getting started? I feel it's an obligation, a privilege, and a pleasure to be here for you.

As for being strong, those who've known me have heard me say this before (there she goes again...), but since you're new here, I'll repeat it: I used to dismiss those who called me brave for going through this. I'd tell them it wasn't bravery, it was desperation. But then I ran across a quote attributed to John Wayne: "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." By that definition, I guess I - and all of us transitioning - must be pretty courageous.

QuoteWith that said you're allowed to feel anyway you want to and no one should ever belittle you for the feelings you have. They're yours to do with as you see fit.  :)

It didn't surprise me to run across some here who are quite militant about being outspoken and out front in the battle for our rights. I'm so glad there are people like them. What I didn't expect was a few of them who are just as militant that everyone should take the same attitude. As you say, we all have the right to approach our lives as we see fit. After fifty years of turmoil I just want to live a simple and quiet life as I should have all those years. I sit with those who support quietly from the sidelines. And I vote.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Lexxi

Well as one of those people just starting down the path, I surely appreciate you sticking around to help all of us baby trans girls get started.

I just read that little bio thing on your timeline. I'm impressed that you're getting Marci Bowers to do your surgery. I watch that show All About Jazz and Marci is one of the doctors who did her surgery. She seems like a very impressive doctor. Jazz and her family really seem to love her.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

You can also try the resources link provided here in this forum: 

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,243630.0.html

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Lexxi

Thank you Chrissy!! That site seems to work very well.
  •  

pamelatransuk

Quote from: Lexxi on May 23, 2019, 09:44:07 AM
Good luck with your RLE Pamela!!

xoxo

Lexxi

Thank you Lexxi. I appreciate that.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

AnneK

Quote from: steph2.0 on May 23, 2019, 07:19:41 AM
In the UK and Canada it can take as much as two years to get an appointment

I live in Ontario and started HRT just over 5 weeks ago.  Here, informed consent is available, no therapist required.  There was a long wait for the endocrinologist, but that was mainly due to a dramatic increase in business after the protocols were changed 3 years ago.  It took 5 months from when I asked my doctor for hormones, until I was able to see the endocrinologist.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: AnneK on May 24, 2019, 05:57:20 AM
I live in Ontario and started HRT just over 5 weeks ago.  Here, informed consent is available, no therapist required.  There was a long wait for the endocrinologist, but that was mainly due to a dramatic increase in business after the protocols were changed 3 years ago.  It took 5 months from when I asked my doctor for hormones, until I was able to see the endocrinologist.

That's great to hear, Anne. I'm working off of anecdotal evidence. Others have mentioned the wait was crazy long. Any wait at all is galling, but I'm glad it isn't as bad as I thought.

- Stephanie

•  

AnneK

Quote from: steph2.0 on May 24, 2019, 08:30:16 AM
That's great to hear, Anne. I'm working off of anecdotal evidence. Others have mentioned the wait was crazy long. Any wait at all is galling, but I'm glad it isn't as bad as I thought.

- Stephanie

What's really great is that the delay was caused by trans care becoming much more available, with the protocol changes.  My endo is currently helping to train others in this field.  So, perhaps even less wait time will soon be the norm.  In Ontario, the protocols were changed in March, 2016.

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Lexxi

Here's a little update about my impending therapist visit. I called the office of the therapist WPATH recommended in my area. I spoke with her receptionist and was told that she wasn't taking new patients at this time, but he would be happy to get me in with one of the other clinicians. Once I told him why I needed to be seen he said that that clinician wouldn't be able to give me the needed letter.

He took pity on me though and told me to contact the original therapist by email. He pretty much told me what to say to get her to change her mind and add me to her schedule. I sent the email and have yet to hear anything back yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll get back to me soon, because if I can't get in with her I'll have to travel to the next largest city near me and that's a two hour drive away. It really sucks living in the bible belt of the U.S. where people from the LBGTQ community are under-served or face outright discrimination on a daily basis.

Thank you all for joining in this discussion with me, and thank you all very much for the great advice,

xoxo

Lexxi
  •  

Cindy

Lexxi,

I f you can't get the WPATH recommended therapist and are looking at a 2 hr journey, do another search and see who will do Skype sessions or distance therapy sessions. If you don't have any underlying issues (and be honest with yourself and your therapist about that) you are probably looking at a maximum of 3 sessions. The old saying was, first is to tell the therapist what you want, the second is for the therapist to tell you what's going to happen, the third for did you and the therapist understand the first two.
I do understand that some places are basically HRT on demand but I don't think that you can get letters from them if you want to go for surgery - which is entirely up to you.
I'm also basing my comments on Australian experience and long ago I have to admit.
  •  

Lexxi

Thank you Cindy! I might check into that if this therapist doesn't pan out. I don't think it's a bad thing to talk to a therapist about what I'm feeling, thinking, etc...so I'm going to be totally honest. I just want to make sure that I'm with a WPATH recommended therapist no matter what. I wish there were a professional gender/sexuality clinic in my vicinity. That would make things so much easier.

xoxo

Lexxi
  •  

Lexxi

Okay ladies I finally heard back from that potential therapist. She said she would be glad to fit me in her schedule...but can't do it until August or September.

She said if I would like to be seen sooner than that she had a short list of other therapists she trusts, and they're "trained in working with people who are looking for gender affirming therapy, and/or may be able to write letters for gender affirming hormone replacement therapy." Even though they're trained in gender affirming therapy none of them are WPATH recommended.

Do you all think I should wait the 3 or 4 months for the WPATH recommended therapist, or should I talk to one of the others on the list? If your recommendation is to talk to one of the other therapists I'll be asking upfront if they're able to write "the letter" so I won't be wasting my time.

What are you thoughts?

xoxo

Lexxi
  •