Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What (who's) voice would you like? Therapy stuff!

Started by HappyMoni, May 27, 2019, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

Quote from: sarahc on May 29, 2019, 08:23:04 PM
Getting flustered and the voice tiring are pretty normal for only being a few weeks in. This is a deceptively difficult process, and you're still at the stage of needing to concentrate hard just to speak.

As for frequency jumping around, if you have a lot of natural intonation in your speaking style, I would suggest trying to tone that down for a while. At the beginning of this process, it's better to have a much narrower pitch variance in your voice for at least a few months - try to keep the pitch relatively steady without being robotic. That will help you get used to the new pitch. Once you get the new pitch gets burned in your mind and have resonance down, you can then think about adding back some intonation.

Sarah

Sarah, thank you for putting it in perspective. You are right, I think it is normal to have some discouraging times with this. I started to feel like I was finally having a jumping off place and then I was lost again. So much has caused variability in my vocalizations. I tend to have mucous and have to clear my throat a lot, I have confidence issues, and don't have a good self awareness of my pitch. After some initial optimism, these things crept back in and I was lost again. Tonight, after a bad voice day, I did some reading out loud. The tuner jumps around but I found the 145-155 range and used your inflection limiting advice. It helped get my base pitch. I am more optimistic again. I also think a lot of my practice will involve reading. It is good practice for pitch and annunciation.

Tony, hi, yes I am starting with a therapist now.

Linde, are you kidding? I can barely speak English. lol I always thought of German as a masculine language and French as Feminine.  And those Antarticans, don't get me started!
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Quinn

Hi Moni,

a lot of what Sarah said, my voice therapist told me the same thing  today. She doesn't want me  reading or talking yet just training to get the pitch all the time and the learn how to resonate then I will move on.
she told me too much to fast and it gets overwhelming and frustrating if I can get the basic down which is the hardest the rest falls right into place and can actually be enjoyable
But I understand the frustration too I added a post about my sessions on my page earlier

Hugs to another struggling voice student   
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Quinn on May 30, 2019, 08:36:58 PM
Hi Moni,

a lot of what Sarah said, my voice therapist told me the same thing  today. She doesn't want me  reading or talking yet just training to get the pitch all the time and the learn how to resonate then I will move on.
she told me too much to fast and it gets overwhelming and frustrating if I can get the basic down which is the hardest the rest falls right into place and can actually be enjoyable
But I understand the frustration too I added a post about my sessions on my page earlier

Hugs to another struggling voice student

It sounds like your starting point is much higher than mine, Quinn. Thanks for commenting. Maybe we can compare notes. I have not been this clueless about anything else in my transition. I wish you luck with your social transition. Hugs to you as well,
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Linde

Quote from: HappyMoni on May 30, 2019, 08:16:41 PM

Linde, are you kidding? I can barely speak English. lol I always thought of German as a masculine language and French as Feminine.  And those Antarticans, don't get me started!
There are more women in Germany than men.  And boy, can they sweat talk you, and their voices sound as feminine as they come.  >:-)
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Quinn

I would love to compare notes anything to help with this would be great and your right this is very hard to understand how to do. When im sitting there with my speech therapist its much easier because she says the word then I repeat the word she corrects me right there on the spot and explains what I did wrong and she  will again repeat the word and I follow her along in this manner it makes a lot of sense I do pretty well. It also helps with her right in front of me so I can watch her mouth while I also hear at the same time.
But when I get home and its time to practice im like what? how? why? I did it with her there why cant I do it now?

We will get this it just takes time and practice

She is really good at what she does I drive 1.5 to 2 hours each way to see her each week, As I progress and when I get the basics down I will not go down there as much, but many people do their sessions with skype with her . But until I get to that point I want her right in front of me

For me my voice is very dysphoric, i tried to do the speech therapy in 2017 but had such i bad experience i just put if off until now, i regret that decision everytime i practice now  lol

hugs
  •  

Faith

Quote from: Linde on May 31, 2019, 01:17:24 AM
.... And boy, can they sweat talk you ....
'

I love sweat talk!! you know, the chat you have right after the fun is over, waiting for the next round.

I miss those days
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Megan.

No one springs to mind in particular, but I'll admit I'm partial to a Welsh accent on a woman, though I don't think they work as well for the guys out there - sry, just my preference [emoji846].

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Megan. on May 31, 2019, 06:29:30 AM
No one springs to mind in particular, but I'll admit I'm partial to a Welsh accent on a woman, though I don't think they work as well for the guys out there - sry, just my preference [emoji846].

And ofc I love a Boston accent too ;-)  @Devlyn

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Megan. on May 31, 2019, 06:31:01 AM
And ofc I love a Boston accent too ;-)  @Devlyn

You mean like "she's got a jahb pahking cahs at the Gahden"?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Megan.

Quote from: TonyaW on May 31, 2019, 06:54:31 AM
You mean like "she's got a jahb pahking cahs at the Gahden"?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Haha, I'm sure I couldn't/shouldn't comment!

•