News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Jaw and chin surgery with Dr. Ley - Jessica_Rose

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 03, 2024, 06:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 21, 2020, 07:46:32 am »
The area around my chin is still quite sore and tight, so my usual smile has to take a vacation for a while.

My Monday morning post-op appointment went very well. Dr. Ley mentioned she removed quite a bit of bone and seems to be very pleased with the outcome so far. In fact, she was smiling throughout our appointment! She did not suggest any type of chin strap or other dressing, but I was given some 'Arnicare' gel which is supposed to help bruises heal faster.

Susan and I had an uneventful drive home Monday and Tuesday. We arrived in time to bring Prince home from the kennel, and he was very happy to see us! The bruising is starting to fade, although the area under my chin is still black. The bleeding inside my mouth has dropped off quite a bit, and ibuprofen is now enough to control the discomfort. Eating is still a challenge, eggs, pancakes, soup, twinkies, ice cream, and blueberry muffins are about it right now. I may try a turkey sandwich later today. I did manage to lose about three pounds. Not sure how long it will remain 'lost' on this diet though.

Photo from this morning (21 Oct 2020)...

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 21, 2020, 10:54:46 am »
Since this surgery changed the contour of my jawline and chin, a straight-on head shot can't show much change until the swelling drops significantly. However, you can see some changes from these angled photos. I ran both photos through the same portrait software to clean them up, but I did not use any 'face sculpting' filters. The rear of my jaw is noticeably different, and my chin doesn't appear to stick out as far as it did prior to surgery.

Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 25, 2020, 09:37:47 am »
Yesterday, I suddenly was reminded to take ibuprofen. The pain came on quickly and drove me to tears. Haven't we already endured more pain than most? Adding so much physical pain on top of decades of psychological pain is a bit overwhelming at times. I know things will get better, but damn this is hard.

The swelling and bruising continue to fade. Friday evening, instead of using some Peridex rinse, I brushed my teeth for the first time since surgery. Yesterday I ate a sandwich and a few chips, another first since surgery. My chin and the center part of my lower lip are still numb, so my usual smile remains on vacation. My mouth occasionally bleeds, but it doesn't appear to be coming from the sutures. The blood seems to be associated with a saliva gland. Last night while yawning some blood literally squirted out of my mouth.

Oct 18 vs Oct 25

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 27, 2020, 05:46:45 pm »
The swelling and bruising have gone down quite a bit, and eating solid foods is becoming much more comfortable. I am still taking ibuprofen every 4 hours or so. If I forget, my nervous system provides a painful reminder. My chin and the center of my lower lip remain numb, but yesterday I began feeling occasional intense, highly localized pain in my chin, which I think indicates the nerves are beginning to reconnect. The occasional taste of blood in my mouth continues to fade. My cheeks feel 'tight', but occasionally puffing them out makes them feel better. I ran these photos through some portrait software, but without any 'face sculpting' filters.

Pre-op, post-op week 1, post-op week 2

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 03, 2020, 08:13:33 pm »
I am back to my regular diet now, although eating still takes a little longer than normal. I can't open my mouth as wide as I used to, and my jaw feels a bit stiff. I have been able to cut way back on the ibuprofen. My chin and the center of my lower lip are still numb, but the occasional bolts of lightning continue to strike. The numb areas are slowly shrinking. All of the bleeding in my mouth has stopped.

Now I can see the difference! There is still quite a bit of swelling, especially under my chin, but my jaw is definitely narrower than it was a month ago. Pre-op vs week 3 post-op...

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:54 pm »
The healing continues, and nearly all of the bruises are gone. I still have quite a few sutures in my mouth, but about half of them have disintegrated. I developed a large seroma under my chin, but it went away after firmly holding a warm compress against it for several hours. Yesterday, Kris cleared my face and neck again. The bruised area she had to avoid was much smaller than last week. Kris said most of the remaining swelling was towards the front of my face and chin. I'm back to my regular diet, but my jaw is still somewhat stiff. My chin and the center of my lower lip are still numb, and the occasional sharp pains in my chin continue. I'm finally sleeping with just one pillow, and no more ice packs.

While at my electrolysis appointment on Monday, I met a friend I hadn't seen in eight months. I asked her if she noticed anything. She said I did look a little different, but she couldn't tell exactly what it was. I took that as a good sign. I don't want anyone to say 'Oh, you had some work done!'

I got a bit of a scare on Saturday. The hospital where my surgery was performed sent me a bill and said payment was due -- over $86,000!!! (Note: The actual cost was about 1/4 of that number) I sent a note to Dr. Ley, and she responded within a few hours. She said this is not uncommon when patients pay cash, and she said they would check into it for me. Today I was told to ignore the bill.

Pre-op vs 4 weeks post-op. You can readily see the difference by looking at the change in distance between my earrings and my jaw. You can also tell my chin is a little narrower.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 17, 2020, 07:21:22 pm »
The left side of my jaw was tight on Saturday, by Sunday it was really starting to ache. I was using ice packs and ibuprofen to reduce the discomfort. I woke up around 1:30am Monday due to pain, but another ice pack and more ibuprofen allowed me to get back to sleep. I woke up again around 4:00am with an odd taste in my mouth. I spit into a sink and noticed blood and some pus. I decided to take a look inside my mouth, not really expecting to see anything. While prodding around, I hit a spot that caused a small popping sound, followed by quite a bit of fluid draining out of my cheek. Suddenly my jaw began feeling much better. I contacted Dr. Ley's office and they gave me a prescription for the antibiotic 'augmentin'. Hopefully that will take care of the infection.

The numbness in my lip and chin continues to subside, along with the intensity and frequency of the electric shocks just below my bottom lip. There is still a tiny bruise on my chin, but you really have to look for it now. My electrologist says there is still some swelling, so hopefully things will continue to improve.

Pre-op vs Post-op week 5

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: December 01, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »
It has now been 7 weeks since my jaw contouring and genioplasty. According to my electrologist, most of the post-op swelling has faded. The antibiotic I was prescribed two weeks ago has taken care of the infection in my jaw, and the seroma under my chin is almost completely gone. The numbness in the center of my lower lip and chin continues to improve, and the 'electric shocks' in my chin have subsided. During Thanksgiving I visited quite a few relatives, and none of them were aware of the recent surgery. For better or for worse, no one said anything. I didn't notice anyone taking long looks, so I will just assume no one noticed. However, I see the difference, and I am very happy with the results.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: December 08, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
In some ways the changes are subtle, but if you look closely, you can see the differences. I expect the face lift I have schedule in February will make the changes more evident.

Unless something odd happens within the new few weeks, this will be my last post in this thread. During my last electrolysis session, Kris said the swelling appears to be gone. The bulge from the seroma along my jawline is slightly noticeable, hopefully that will continue to fade. There is some lingering numbness in my lower lip and chin, but that is fading as well. The bottom of my chin is a little sore, but I can comfortably rest my chin in my hands. All of the sutures inside my mouth seem to have dissolved.

Both of these photo sets are comparing pre-op (left) vs post-op week 8 (right).

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •