Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Jenn's Journey, Part 2

Started by Jenn104, January 03, 2024, 04:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie

Good luck Jenn, I hope you find some real closure in the visit.

I have to say, I read your really lovely post with mouth agape. I spent about an hour on the phone with one of my sisters on Tuesday and, for whatever reason, we spent the whole time talking about the passing of both of our parents. For mom it's been almost 10 years now, dad going on four. But afterwards it had me thinking a lot about how they both would have dealt with my "news."
I'm sure that will be a topic of conversation when I tell my sisters, actually. But I think the reason your post struct me as well, is my dad was also in the Korean War.. both my folks were (although mom was a WAC, stationed state-side).

Anyway, as Lori said, we're all with you on that trip.  So, you know, pack lots of snacks and juice boxes for us in case we get cranky ❤️😘😉

Love,
Allie

Sarah B

Hi Jenn

I've got your six.  Lovely post about your father,  Thank you for sharing.

Hugs and more Hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story

Jenn104

Quote from: imallie on March 08, 2024, 01:09:11 AMGood luck Jenn, I hope you find some real closure in the visit.

I have to say, I read your really lovely post with mouth agape. I spent about an hour on the phone with one of my sisters on Tuesday and, for whatever reason, we spent the whole time talking about the passing of both of our parents. For mom it's been almost 10 years now, dad going on four. But afterwards it had me thinking a lot about how they both would have dealt with my "news."
I'm sure that will be a topic of conversation when I tell my sisters, actually. But I think the reason your post struct me as well, is my dad was also in the Korean War.. both my folks were (although mom was a WAC, stationed state-side).

Anyway, as Lori said, we're all with you on that trip.  So, you know, pack lots of snacks and juice boxes for us in case we get cranky ❤️😘😉

Love,
Allie

Thank you Allie.

I never thought of the word "closure". I'll take it. I don't know what to call the thing I am trying to do but labels are less important than the moment, the experience.

I will bring healthy snacks for me. I assume a bag of bite size 'almond joy' and 'mounds' candy bars is ok for everyone else? Because you know the slogan...

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

Jenn104

Quote from: Sarah B on March 08, 2024, 03:07:33 AMHi Jenn

I've got your six.  Lovely post about your father,  Thank you for sharing.

Hugs and more Hugs
Sarah B

thanks.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

The week has started well. Really well--

My bloodwork came back A+ - both endo and annual physical blood work. I've lost a hair under 30 pounds in a year thank you. Diet and exercise work.

I am recently elected to the non-profit that runs the local Pride parade n festival.. and I voted for the first time earlier. Plus took the time to volunteer for about a dozen events in the next 6 months. I am kind of excited to put myself out there a little more.

and...

drum roll...

My health care insurance surrendered today. They swore they'd never cover 2 sessions of surgical prep hair removal from last fall. They will cover them. It took work-- my insurance is "self insured". So it falls under ERISA, which is overseen by an agency called the Employee Benefit Security Administration, in the Dept of Labor. I explained to said insurance they would pay me now or answer questions from the fed in about a week. I would most assuredly be easier and cheaper, given some of what they've tried to do. I was well coached by said agency.

anyway. surrender seems like the right word, given the obstinancy.

Kinda a fun day.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

LoriDee

That is great news, Jenn! Congrats.
Persistence pays off. Way to stand your ground. I am proud of you!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Jenn104
Dear Jenn:

Yes indeed.... a drumroll for you and all the good news that you have reported.
A banner and as you stated, a fun day for you.... 
          -->Bloodwork A+
          -->elected to the non-profit
          -->volunteering for about a dozen events
          -->Your health care insurance surrendered

Thank you for sharing.... please keep me and the rest of your followers
updated as more good news arrives for you.

HUGS, Danielle

Quote from: Jenn104 on March 12, 2024, 07:02:11 PMThe week has started well. Really well--

My bloodwork came back A+ - both endo and annual physical blood work. I've lost a hair under 30 pounds in a year thank you. Diet and exercise work.

I am recently elected to the non-profit that runs the local Pride parade n festival.. and I voted for the first time earlier. Plus took the time to volunteer for about a dozen events in the next 6 months. I am kind of excited to put myself out there a little more.

and...

drum roll...

My health care insurance surrendered today. They swore they'd never cover 2 sessions of surgical prep hair removal from last fall. They will cover them. It took work-- my insurance is "self insured". So it falls under ERISA, which is overseen by an agency called the Employee Benefit Security Administration, in the Dept of Labor. I explained to said insurance they would pay me now or answer questions from the fed in about a week. I would most assuredly be easier and cheaper, given some of what they've tried to do. I was well coached by said agency.

anyway. surrender seems like the right word, given the obstinancy.

Kinda a fun day.

~Jenn
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: Northern Star Girl on March 12, 2024, 09:59:39 PM@Jenn104
Dear Jenn:

Yes indeed.... a drumroll for you and all the good news that you have reported.
A banner and as you stated, a fun day for you.... 
          -->Bloodwork A+
          -->elected to the non-profit
          -->volunteering for about a dozen events
          -->Your health care insurance surrendered

Thank you for sharing.... please keep me and the rest of your followers
updated as more good news arrives for you.

HUGS, Danielle

Oh.. I am supposed to go axe throwing with friends - it's a birthday to celebration - this weekend.

I believe that counts as news. I need to figure out what to wear to throw axes and sort out old wig or new wig. leaning old, sweat has no place on the girl, thanks.

Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Jenn104
Dear Jenn:

Axe throwing sounds like a lot of fun.

I have difficulties hitting the target with Axes, Knives, and Darts...
...however I do pretty well with a Rifle or Handgun.

What?  A Birthday Celebration?  Your BIRTHDAY? ???
As you are aware from reading the various topics on the Forum, every day
I submit Birthday Greetings to our members on the Birthday Topic sub-forum.
          HOWEVER
Many of our members have not listed their Birthday on their Forum profile
so I have NO WAY of knowing anything about their birthday date. 

Check out the following Announcement: 

Birthday Recognition for our Members
Click Link --> https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247093.0.html 

HUGS, Danielle [Northern Star Girl]

Quote from: Jenn104 on March 13, 2024, 03:48:59 AMOh.. I am supposed to go axe throwing with friends - it's a birthday to celebration - this weekend.

I believe that counts as news. I need to figure out what to wear to throw axes and sort out old wig or new wig. leaning old, sweat has no place on the girl, thanks.

Jenn
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

I have been at an axe throwing event recently. I actually was amazed how easy it was to get the axe to stick in the wood.

You shouldn't sweat about getting sweaty, it is more of a social event and you are taking turns with the axe. Unless, of course, you are fearful that some of your axe throwing buddies are going to throw the axe at people due to lack of skill or intoxication...  ;D 
  •  

Jenn104

Yikes!

It is not my birthday... that'd be in the summer.

Ummm yeah, I think it's going to be a fun night with fair amounts of alcohol. I volunteered to be the designated driver. TBD

it's all good fun. this is a slightly different and new social group. Ought to be fun. I believe in putting myself out there is important. I will post an update after.

Jenn

- Shirley Chisolm

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

davina61

It can be very entertaining staying sober while all those around you get the worse for wear, hope your aim is better than my mums. Throwing darts she hits the wall next to the board 4ft to the right!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

LoriDee

Anxiously await your tales of drunken debauchery, woe, and despair.  ;D

Have fun!

Hugs!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jenn104

Ok. It's been a superlative week.

I am involved with my company's recruiting. I have had such a good experience in everything transition at work, I figured it is payback. I went on my second recruiting mission last night, a talk on "elevator pitches and personal branding" for a local school's Society of Women Engineers (SWE). There were 4 of us from my company in attendance.

I have been uncharacteristically quiet both times I have gone to a recruiting event, maybe a little less so last night. I was the only engineer repping my company in the room last night.

Feedback this morning is really positive from the students. My take btw is that was a great group of students. Smart, polite, no attitude, showed up to learn.

I am realizing I have had doubts if I belong in the room  of female students. imposter syndrome at it's worst. I have more than enough experience to be credible. Do I belong in an SWE meeting? has kept me quiet.

You know... mental sunburst time. Yeah I did and I do belong.

It's been a really good week.

Happy Pie Day!

Jenn

- Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

Every once in a while, the camera turns into my friend--

Which was taken during the week, before work.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

davina61

a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: davina61 on March 16, 2024, 11:47:33 AMLovely dear XX

Thanks!

Just short of a year "full time" (which is surely an insurance barrier not a legit transition metric), I am feeling it. A few things are coming together and I have the euphoria thing working.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

Axe throwing is mad stupid good fun!   A great birthday celebration for someone also on the non-profit board I am newly elected to. Frankly, it was a good chance to get to know a few people on the board a little better.

And yes! that is old hair, not new hair. A girl's gotta protect her fav wig after all.

- Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

Lost from my old blog department -- I had a zoom call with Lynn Conway. Lynn is my trans heroine, no exceptions. No ands, if, buts (or runs scored). Google her if you don't know her story. Since my old blog has disapparated, recall I worked with a few people in my company to get her name on a conference room. The old name, think "electric car company transphobe", was dated.

I'd stopped hearing back from her. So I figured she'd moved on and had a right to do so. My week started with her scheduling a new call. She wants an update. Tres Cool! I've been a busy girl and have a few.

In other news... I have made it clear in the past, my employer is amazingly supportive. I mean top-tier supportive. So a few months ago, I volunteered to be a part of 'Talent Squad', the rank and file employees who give time to support after hours recruiting. TBH I thought it was a nice gesture on my part. I thought I'd never get used or called. I've been on a pair of talks-- both Society of Women Engineers events. From a personal perspective, they've been invaluable. I realized after the most recent I belong and am accepted in cis-het-female spaces without the qualifier of having known anyone in advance.

This is the good part though. I got put on a zoom call for a deep red state university. I am an engineer and the gist of the call is 'advice for an upcoming hackathon'. So I spoke to the recruiter about how I'll respond to misgendering (correct it, politely) and a few situations all the way up to open hostility (which will get a.. you're stealing time from your friends, I am happy to stay after or engage on linkedin or similar). The recruiter was honestly thankful I spent time thinking it out. The best part is that in so many words the recruiter made it clear, I can get on as many of these 'deep red' calls as I want if this goes well. Why? because it is good to put queer folx in this situations as subliminal subversion.

Oh and I am still trying to figure out how to say to my boss axe throwing is fun and I am not so bad at it...

Happy Monday!

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

Addendum!

My company is large enough so there is a community of trans and gender expansive people. Over 10 anyway. I am the keeper of the lunch invite and chat invite. I am the unofficial momma-hen, which I am surely called with much love and irreverence behind my back. Perks of being oldest by a quite a bit.

We found someone new today. It is a cool AF moment when someone knew grasps, "wait.. there is a community???"

some things never get old~

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm