Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Jenn's Journey, Part 2

Started by Jenn104, January 03, 2024, 04:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Jenn104 on April 10, 2024, 07:29:39 AMsometimes the sheer absurdity of how my mind works leaves me giggling.

You make it a good Wednesday too Chrissy.

Jenn

Thank you Jenn! 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Jenn,

I need to do more stretching. When I try sitting back on my heels I really need to stick a firm pillow under me as I lean back to sit.  I will get there one day without a pillow!  I doubt I will take up yoga but I will do stretching positions. 
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on April 11, 2024, 06:22:30 PMJenn,

I need to do more stretching. When I try sitting back on my heels I really need to stick a firm pillow under me as I lean back to sit.  I will get there one day without a pillow!  I doubt I will take up yoga but I will do stretching positions. 

I started doing yoga when a cis-female office pal suggested I try it. She thought I'd like the mindfulness as much as the workout. My studio offers a chill vibe and classes across different disciplines. I tend to "slow flow"/vinyasa-style classes.

Yoga is my "me time". As my body changes, I get to reconnect. I get more balance and core strength than flexibility. YMMV though. I secretly marvel at the grace of a few women in class. Class is a chance to drop everything else and just be, a treat for the pace of my life at the moment.

Me being me, btw, "warrior 2" is the official yoga pose of my transition. Strong base, arm extended fully, gaze directly ahead. Think about that, right?

I also do a daily stretch routine that has some yoga-like elements in it. Pelvic floor stretches plus some basic things to unplug daily.

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jenn104

The little things in transition that validate never cease to make me giggle.

I pierced my ears a good 8 weeks ago. I went a week past my ok to change date, just to be sure. although stopped the daily squirting with saline. I put on my first pair of "hanging" earrings. I feel great! I am kind of laughing at myself for feeling childishly happy. Yet here we are.

I was chatting a work friend just now as we waited for something to start up. She just moved, so I asked about how it is going. "Ugggg. my husband just wants to unpack his garage stuff, not do real work."  I told her I can see both sides but feel very very removed from that narrative. Partly because I didn't get the house, partly because I just think differently.

anyway. it was a good weekend-- a pair of 40 mile rides in place of a single 50 miler +  a 20 mile "leg spin". plus yoga. plus cleaning and laundry. plus a few other personal things. Life is hectic. Life is good.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jenn104

Back from my Sunday ride and a quick drink with the women in the cycling group.

I have under a month until the 85 mile ride, my first real distance ride. I am feeling cautious optimism. My local bike shop is queer owned. The owners are super nice, real allies in my transition. We've worked out a plan for bike tune up and minor tweaks that allows me to keep riding. We did a tire swap out with tubes, a new chain, disc brake pads, and some derailleur tuning between Friday and today. They'll repack the steering tube bearings, bleed the brakes, and upgrade my pedals. They talked me into better shoes - "3 holes road shoes" over "2 hole mt bike shoes". I think I'll get maybe a little extra power.

Today-- I got a quick 50 mile lesson in pace lines. Riding 6 - 8 inches off the tire in front of me. Kinda a cool thing. Plus one friend is a very good coach, so I got tips on pace, and climbing. Things feel like they are coming together. I need a lot of miles though.

The weekend ride's turned into a really fun thing for me. Good workout then social time after.

Other than that-- life is hectic. I go have a board meeting for my 'Pride' non profit in the week. Still need to get my yoga on (Monday), training class for the LGBTQ speakers bureau I am joining.. and next weekend I will see cousins. My cousins all know. We're not close and most have never seen. That'll change. Frankly, it is not a big deal anymore. It just is a thing that is a going to happen.

anyway,

off to relax,

~Jenn

- Shirley Chisolm

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee