Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldandcreaky and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

imallie

Today is opening day for our local AAA baseball team, and we've had season tickets since their inaugural season four years ago - so this is now a big part of our spring and summer.

It's really nice - we go to about half of the games, and give away or sell back the other half.  And when we go we start each game off with a walk around the park together, grab a bite to eat and then we'll enjoy as little or as much of the game as we feel up to that particular game and then head home.

But like today it's supposed to be in the 40's... so I imagine it'll be about 3-4 innings and skedaddle. 🥶😂

By the way, speaking of opening day - I blew by this on Thursday of last week. Opening Day of the MLB season coincided with my one year anniversary on HRT.

That went fast!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

imallie

The view from our seats ...

We lasted only five innings... it was just too cold for me!

Partly it's that those 3 PM games are particularly rough on my head (I do a bit better at 1 PM or 6 PM) but mostly I think it's some combination of a) getting older, b) having lost so much weight and/or c) HRT.

Either way... while younger me was impervious to cold... current me is VERY much not so! 🥶

Sarah B

Hi Allie

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your 1st HRT anniversary.  May you enjoy many more. :icon_birthday:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_dance:

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: Sarah B on April 02, 2024, 08:19:52 PMHi Allie

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your 1st HRT anniversary.  May you enjoy many more. :icon_birthday:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_dance:

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter

Thanks Sarah!!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Allie,

Wow the one year mark for HRT is such a milestone!  The first day of managed medical HRT is of course very memorable too. 

I hope your transition journey is a good one in all ways.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 

imallie

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on April 02, 2024, 09:24:31 PMAllie,

Wow the one year mark for HRT is such a milestone!  The first day of managed medical HRT is of course very memorable too. 

I hope your transition journey is a good one in all ways.

Chrissy

Thanks Chrissy! It kind of crept up on me!

I am not diminishing the anniversary, but I think because I began with microdosing... it doesn't feel like a real year on hormones. Even though I know what I just wrote is eye-rollingly preposterous. But there's definitely a bit of the ol' imposter syndrome brewing, you know?
  •  

davina61

Will you get a raise in HRT now? or are they taking it very slow with your brain ache? TBH I have had the reverse affect from HRT it would seem, running hot now when I always felt cold before.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Maid Marion

I wear Eddy Bauer insulated pants to stay warm outside.  They have both fleece and flannel lined pants!
Ripstop nylon is great staying warm in windy weather.  I also layer my tops.

Marion
  •  

Gina P

Congrats on the one year mark. As far as being cold, welcome to womanhood. I have found heated gloves and pocket warmers help some. I usually put on an extra layer if I am going to be outside for a while.

ChrissyRyan

I still prefer my flannel gowns even as it warms up some outdoors.
That material keeps me warm during the evening and night.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

imallie

Quote from: davina61 on April 03, 2024, 04:09:20 AMWill you get a raise in HRT now? or are they taking it very slow with your brain ache? TBH I have had the reverse affect from HRT it would seem, running hot now when I always felt cold before.

Oh sorry Davina, I think I phrased that poorly.  I "started" with microdosing, yes, but we've steadily been increasing the dosage every three months... so that as of November I was both on a more typical dose and my numbers finally started to make a dramatic move.

So my point was just that it felt like maybe because I started so low, those early months didn't count.

As for my headaches, they now feel that the hormones are at worst neutral on them, or, at best, actually are having a positive impact. No way to really know.

Love,
Allie
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Maid Marion on April 03, 2024, 05:06:29 AMI wear Eddy Bauer insulated pants to stay warm outside.  They have both fleece and flannel lined pants!
Ripstop nylon is great staying warm in windy weather.  I also layer my tops.

Marion

Quote from: Gina P on April 03, 2024, 05:35:01 AMCongrats on the one year mark. As far as being cold, welcome to womanhood. I have found heated gloves and pocket warmers help some. I usually put on an extra layer if I am going to be outside for a while.

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on April 03, 2024, 06:33:02 AMI still prefer my flannel gowns even as it warms up some outdoors.
That material keeps me warm during the evening and night.

Chrissy

Appreciate all the suggestions, sweeties! ❤️

Last year, when this started to be an issue, my wife bought me a set of long underwear that I now use at games. And she's gotten me all these really cute extra warm socks. They all help... but ... I'm still a big baby in the cold 🥶
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Supervised medical HRT helped me for sure.  I still do not have the lower curves I want but those may never arrive.  I am pleased what it did up top though.  I started with herbals first, it did work some for me; but, I later went to medical HRT.

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Some days I think I have some more lower curves, but it is just wishes for them.
I suppose some clothes help make me look a tad curvier but that is just extra material!

When I have lost more than a few pounds my waist might be a half inch narrower, but other times of the same month it will be back to the usual.  I tend to periodically fast, not so much to lose any weight but to purify. 

No real hip widening unless everything widens, and I do not want every area to widen.

Chrissy
  •  

imallie

Not sure if anyone has seen a couple of the big women's basketball tournament snafu stories in the news this week... but one of them set me on a course of PTSD, and the other was infuriating in all the wrong ways, but also put me in the mind of a story that's near to my heart on a number of levels.

Yes, I know I said I was sick of my own stories... but I'm making a brief exception. 😉

First, the issue in Portland with the three-point lines. It turns out that several tournament games were played with different three-point differences at each end of the court! I believe it was off by nine-inches.

The art most media was running was of either a site or NCAA official on his knees with that sassafrassing big orange tape measure, confirming the issue.

I have absolutely no idea how this could happen. I can tell you from first-hand experience this is something, as someone who has run a regional, you check several times... starting as soon as the floor is put down (so in some cases, that can be WEEKS in advance, in a multi-purpose arena, that can be only several days in advance, but still...)

And in addition, you do a final walk-through with the NCAA the "night" before. I put "night" in quotes, because when I saw that poor soul on his knees with that tape measure, I can remember doing that same thing as the final act I did before heading home to change clothes and return for the first of four straight 20-hour days. 

The time I did this? 3 AM. And then I was back at the arena at 5 AM.  And oh, by the way, at 5:30 AM I got a phone call from my sister that my mother had had a heart attack... but that's another story.... So yeah, PTSD.

———-

The second story is from this morning. At media availability yesterday, there's all this video of Caitlin Clark —- the best women's player on the planet — doing her presser with the sound of forklifts backing up behind her and the hum of trucks going back and forth.

A media member had the audacity to report about this failure, and the response from the NCAA was less than great:  "You are the only one to even complain about this. No one else had a problem."

Which is basically the way the old man in the amusement park responded when the kids from Scooby Doo caught him as the Ferris Wheel Killer "I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you pesky kids.."

Sheesh.

I know, some arenas are smaller than others. Finding space for everything, including all the break-out rooms you need for all these media avails, plus about 30-other required spaces you need, is sometimes nearly impossible.

But the response is to acknowledge the issue, and say you will try to address it. Period.
Take responsibility. There are other ways to go, but BLAMING the reporter is NOT one of them.

It reminded me of this story:

We were hosting an NCAA tournament, this particular year was hockey, not basketball. The regional final game was won in the last minute on a game-winning goal. Exciting stuff, right? Well, heart-breaking too, for the other team.

There was slight glitch. Our stat crew (there are six people who comprise the statistics crew, inputting and tracking all the stats, for both teams, which are streamed live on the internet as well as in the arena to all media), in all the excitement, attributed the goal to #32 (I think) - but it was #32 on the WRONG team.

The error was caught, almost immediately. Like 45-50 seconds later, and corrected.

But for 45 seconds or so, we had a "Dewey Beats Truman" thing — thousands of people saw it (potentially), as well as the media.

Now, live stats say right on them "not official" — so it shouldn't have been a thing.

But 10 minutes later, one of my assistants came running to me in a panic. A reporter from a BIG regional/national paper who was live in the arena noticed it, and wanted to write about it. He thought it was an amusing story.

He, like the Caitlin Clark complainer, was "the only one."

So I asked if he could come talk to me in private (and my assistant tagged along).

Now I've known this reporter for 20 years at this point. We had a very good relationship. I certainly could have mentioned that, leveraged it. I also could have offered him something in exchange for dropping the story.

I could also have pulled the "this is ridiculous" tactic.

Instead, I just told him that this might be the greatest moment in the life of the kid who scored the winning goal. That whole team, for them this might be the night they remember all their life - making the Frozen Four.

And for the other team, it's an awfully sad night.

To write this story, you're going to pull focus from the former, and you're going to make the latter answer more questions. People are going to go up to the OTHER #32 and get quotes from him, they're going to have to... and that's harsh.

Plus, you're going to want the tic toc for what happened, and all we're going to let you know was that it was a statistical error and you're going to use my name and blame me. I'm not going let you make fun of a kid we're paying $50 a night.

But, I told him, if you want to do that, other than giving you the name of the kid, we will get you any/everything you need.

He shook his head, shook my hand and told me I was right, it was a "nothing burger" and the game was enough.

My assistant asked me WHY I didn't trade on knowing him for 20+ years. And I told him that the relationships you make with people inform every interaction, you don't have to talk about them.

And as for why I didn't offer anything. He knew I was offering my gratitude. Which was something. And he also knew that I felt like I owed him one going forward.

Of course what he didn't know, what no one knew... was that the next day I'd be going into my bosses office and announcing that I'd be going on short term disability for my migraines.

That whole tournament I was running back and forth to the bathroom and throwing up. And chewing Vicodin like tictacs.

So that is why that whole thing is particularly memorable.

End of ramble.

Enjoy a great weekend of basketball everyone!

Love,
Allie

Oldandcreaky

Another couple riveting stories, Allie. You were so tough to keep doing your duties between vomiting.

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 05, 2024, 06:15:10 PMAnother couple riveting stories, Allie. You were so tough to keep doing your duties between vomiting.

Thanks O&C. "Tough" is never a word I would apply to myself, and my wife - forever having me let her know when there's a spider in the room that she should come and dispose of - would concur.

But I did always try to live by the philosophy that you work til the work is done - regardless of any obstacles. Clock watching and excuse-making is for folks who work jobs with lower stakes.

I've had several former staff members tell me they repeat that all the time to people who work for THEM now. And I tell them that I'm flattered, but it also led to my brain basically breaking so maybe it wasn't a 100% rock solid plan. 🤔😂
  •  

Oldandcreaky

I'm pedal to the metal too until I cross the finish line. I remember doing an evening event at the end of long day that began in the dark and was ending in the dark. As long as I was inside and lighted, I pretended to be perky, but when I reached the safety of the dark parking lot, I became an old woman, literally limping to my car.

I had so many people assigned to follow me and assist for the day say at the day's end, "I am exhausted just watching you."

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 05, 2024, 07:38:50 PMI'm pedal to the metal too until I cross the finish line. I remember doing an evening event at the end of long day that began in the dark and was ending in the dark. As long as I was inside and lighted, I pretended to be perky, but when I reached the safety of the dark parking lot, I became an old woman, literally limping to my car.

I had so many people assigned to follow me and assist for the day say at the day's end, "I am exhausted just watching you."

I resemble that remark, my friend. 😂

I learned, with experience, to both always look as if my tank was full of energy — so those working for/with me could feel as if they could siphon some off of me if they needed it, and also to always make decisions in a decisive manner, especially in pressure situations.

If you're throwing something into the fire on something, they need to believe that you're putting them in the best situation to succeed, with the "best" way to address a problem. NOT what it really is sometimes, a somewhat educated guess you've pulled out of your exhausted butt because you know one thing for sure — doing NOTHING will not solve the problem. 😉

So also, whenever there was a crisis at an event? I NEVER ran.. never ran to get the staff member I needed, to get to a phone, to find an official, etc. I walked. So it looked like I had things under control.

THAT was a lesson hard learned.  (I was a punchline on ESPN one night, being caught in the background of a highlight when we had a power outage, sprinting down behind the court, just as a player stole the ball and was going in for a dunk. I was basically running step for step with him. I looked like someone whose hair was on fire. Yes, it was funny. But never again.)

•  

REM.1126

I have pulled my share of all nighters at work, but migraines shut me down.  I can't work through one of those.  Thankfully, I haven't had one in a long time. 

Visually, a jagged prismatic (rainbow effect) line separating blurry vision outside the prism from total darkness inside it, accompanied by a splitting headache and nausea.  Once I went completely blind in one eye for about an hour.

I can't practice law like that.  It wouldn't be in the client's best interest.
  •