Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 29, 2024, 03:35:39 PMI love fruit pastry tarts. So pretty.

Allie, being a writer, I know a few writers, and I can't think of anymore more skilled to compose your letter to your sisters than you.

Your meal sounds great. The boy is a lucky leftover lad (L3).

That is so kind of you to say, O&C, and a real compliment coming from you. Thank you.

I found myself thinking back to when I wrote my father's obituary for only other piece I'd written that felt akin to this letter — I guess because they were both expressions of pain and grief and loss (actual or potential)? I might be grasping at straws, but that was front of mind.

Hmmm, I guess I will share this.

This is definitely a pain med "no filter" share kind of thing. But after I wrote the previous paragraph I took a beat to try to think deeper as to what the connection was between the two things, and I recalled there was a bit of passive-aggressiveness related to the writing of my dad's obituary of which I was not proud. I very much was unaware of it in the moment, in my own defense, but a few days after the fact I felt guilty about it.

When my mother passed, one of my sisters wrote the obituary. She didn't consult any of us, she just wrote it. I was kind of in a daze, but I definitely don't recall being asked, or even discussing it. And when it came out, it was... "fine."

I mean that in that it was factually correct, but colorless, short and did not paint much of a picture of this woman we all loved. So it really bothered me. She thought she done a wonderful job, so the rest of us said nothing. I'm not sure my other sibs even really bumped on it.

But when my father passed, I immediately said that I was writing his obituary. It was a job done well. To the point that, at the wake and funeral, almost everyone who came up to us made a point to tell us how wonderful they thought the obituary was, that it was the the most blah blah blah, obituary... etc.  And they kept asking everyone who wrote it and all my sisters would say that I did.

So what is the issue? The obituary is wonderful (I hate self-praise, but it's objectively really well done). But I think I gilded the Lilly a bit. I could have achieved a beautiful obit at 75% of what I did... but instead I wrote at 125%... and I think, somewhere in my subconscious, it was to show my sister that she should not have done what she did with my mom's. Part of me that I'm not proud of probably enjoyed a bit too much people asking her who wrote my dad's obit.

As I sit here right now, I think my regret about that moment is even more clear than it ever was before. I don't think I'd ever fully articulated it until right now, honestly.

And I know it doesn't paint me in a very good light, but we're all the sum of all our parts... and there's no use hiding the shameful. I simply could have handled that better.

And I think this letter, deftly written, is an attempt to handle this situation correctly. Cannot right past wrongs, but simply do better. Be better going forward.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Love,
Allie

imallie

On a much lighter note...

I too am a fan of the fruit tarts. Although I have to say tarts / torts is one of my blind spots. I NEVER can figure out which is which. My mind won't process those words.

It's similar to the way my brain confuses thermometer and thermostat. Objectively I know the difference... but you can see the smoke and hear the gears grinding when I have to use one in a sentence.

Can't explain it.

Oh, and here are my "everything cookies"*

*technically, "everything" is:
Semi-sweet morsels
dark chocolate morsels
White chocolate morsels
Butterscotch morsels
Peanut Butter morsels
Raisins
Dried cranberries
freeze-dried blueberries

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

"And I think this letter, deftly written, is an attempt to handle this situation correctly. Cannot right past wrongs, but simply do better. Be better going forward."

Hindsight is always 20/20. The key is to learn, and as you said, be better going forward.

And I can smell those cookies all the way over here! YUM!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

davina61

Only tart like things I have made recently are lemon meringue and quiche, I can remember making jam tartlets with mum or nan when I was little.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Gina P

Cookies, yum, yum... I just have one, virtually if you don't mind. 
I have sworn off cookies to try and loose some weight. Not working much but I stopped gaining weight.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteAs I sit here right now, I think my regret about that moment is even more clear than it ever was before. I don't think I'd ever fully articulated it until right now, honestly.

And I know it doesn't paint me in a very good light, but we're all the sum of all our parts... and there's no use hiding the shameful. I simply could have handled that better.

And I think this letter, deftly written, is an attempt to handle this situation correctly. Cannot right past wrongs, but simply do better. Be better going forward.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Countless times I have heard people declare, "I have no regrets."

It's a proud declaration. It's also a foolish declaration. Regrets are necessary if we're to avoid repeating our mistakes. Regrets take courage, the courage to self-appraise and admit that we chose poorly.

So, you didn't ramble. You self-assessed and didn't let yourself skate away from trumping your sister's eulogy.

Stay brave, girl.

imallie

Quote from: davina61 on March 30, 2024, 04:35:48 AMOnly tart like things I have made recently are lemon meringue and quiche, I can remember making jam tartlets with mum or nan when I was little.

Food memories are the best, aren't they?

And I do love lemon desserts ... there's just something about them.  Once summer hits, I'm very much planning on trying to do a lemon custard in a hollowed out lemon. I've seen versions of those and they seem incredibly refreshing!
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Gina P on March 30, 2024, 07:32:06 AMCookies, yum, yum... I just have one, virtually if you don't mind.
I have sworn off cookies to try and loose some weight. Not working much but I stopped gaining weight.

Well Gina, one of the nice things about my having a certification in nutrition is that I know how to control the dials on recipes — meaning I can maximize flavor while minimizing calories, or I can prioritize fiber and protein but keeping simple sugars to a reasonable amount, etc.

That being said, with a cookie like this everything is dialed up to 100. Because you know what? Foods that make you happy are also an essential food group and you need to eat them once in a while as part of a balanced diet. 😉

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 30, 2024, 09:26:09 AMCountless times I have heard people declare, "I have no regrets."

It's a proud declaration. It's also a foolish declaration. Regrets are necessary if we're to avoid repeating our mistakes. Regrets take courage, the courage to self-appraise and admit that we chose poorly.

So, you didn't ramble. You self-assessed and didn't let yourself skate away from trumping your sister's eulogy.

Stay brave, girl.

Thanks O&C - the fact that you saw and appreciated the process means a lot. Sometimes feeling seen is a lot more fulfilling than praise, no matter how well-intentioned. Especially for someone who isn't great at hearing nice things said about themselves at times.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

imallie

A few notes from our Early Easter...

The boy was a big fan of the tart. After a huge dinner he, as often happens said he wasn't sure he wanted any dessert. But when he saw the tart he said he'd try a small piece. And then proceeded to cut himself a huge chunk as part of his leftovers. THAT is high praise.

He also made the excellent suggestion that next time I turn this large tart into individual tartlets in muffin cups... especially if I'm doing this for a holiday. Much more portable.

Today also was the first time we'd seen him since coming out to him.

That topic came up exactly once. And only tangentially. We were talking about family news and we told him we hadn't yet had a chance to tell my sisters but we hoped to figure it out soon.  But otherwise, we talked about all the regular stuff - his job, his friends, our mutual and independent summer plans, etc etc.

Just regular family stuff.

Oh and we got a BRIEF update on his dating: Yes, over the past few months he'd been dating. It was multiple woman for a while, but now it's one... but it's too soon to talk about as nothing "is official." And that was that. On that particular topic that is a lot of info from him. 😂

As long as he's happy and having fun, we're happy. Which is what we said.

So all is good with all of us here, and I hope all of you have a wonderful Easter tomorrow... or, conversely, a lovely Sunday!

Love,
Allie

LoriDee

So much good news. It warms my heart that you are doing well and the family had a good time.

Happy Easter!
Hugs!

•  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Happy TDOV, all.

I briefly thought this would be a good time to tell/re-tell my so-called origin story here... but, Lord, am I so tired of hearing my own stories. I so prefer learning about everyone else and just sharing mine when there's a reason.

My wife and I were out on a walk around a local pond this morning, and to avoid this huge, uncrossable moat of water, we had to cut up through some woods and work our way through a neighborhood and circle back.

En route, we passed a house with a homemade sign that said "Happy Easter!! Jesus is Back!!!"  I said "and if you listen to certain folks, he is NOT happen to share his day with Transgender Day of Visibility."

"Of course he would be," said my wife shaking her head. "Those people just don't know it."

I never have been much of a religious person, she certain raised more devoutly than I but even she is the definition of "lapsed"... but it always baffles me how those to whom religion is the central tenant of their lives use it as a cudgel rather than the olive branch it is meant to be.

imallie

You know, over in Sara's blog, she posted about a triggering situation she has faced when it comes to being with a group of cisgender females and talking about women's health issues. That very issue was something I would fret about from time to time when thinking about pitfalls to come, sad as that is to say.

But what that discussion reminded me of most was the one issue that really bothers me. Upon which I feel, once I'm out, I would be uniquely qualified to opine... and yet I feel disheartened that I don't have a definitive opinion - trans athletes.

First of all, I 100% percent believe that any and everyone who wishes to participate in competitive or recreational athletics should be allowed to do so. Not only is it good for mind and body, team sports teach people how to win gracefully, how to lose, how to compete despite long odds, resolve conflict, work together, and learn about people with different backgrounds than their own - just to mention a few benefits.

And so to ban trans kids, teens or adults from that is to rob them of a key facet of human personal and social development.

What troubles me, is that there are some issues that do make things difficult.

To begin with, there are issues which are irrelevant:

lockerrooms: I have known cisgender male and female athletes who have had issues navigating the whole same-sex lockerroom / shared bathroom-shower thing. I have NEVER, EVER heard this issue have anything to do with sexual orientation, by the way. And while, sadly, there have not been a lot of openly gay college athletes... there are some coaches, and there are athletes with whom it was not a well-kept secret. And again, it was not an issue.
Those for whom it was an issue, learned to adjust. Waiting to shower, changing in a private part of the room, changing in the bathroom, etc etc. There is ALWAYS a work around. Teams always find ways to accommodate.

So should a trans athlete make a teammate uncomfortable, or vice versa, a team would adjust. This is truly an issue concocted by parents and/or right-wing media.

Physical advantages: While it is true that post puberty trans females will likely have more physical body mass, on average than the average cisgender female... this does NOT translate into athletic success in every, not even most situations. Plus, HRT treatment is a great equalizer.

As anyone in the athletic world knows, athletes who gain height suddenly are typically awkward and unable to control their bodies for several years. While those who grow more slowly have the advantage of honing their skills over the years to maximize performance. Similarly, a trans athlete, trans male or female, will often be like the growth spurt teen ... dealing with an unfamiliar body. Which is a disadvantage for some time.

Plus, on a more macro level - it could be argued that the break between men's and women's athletics is arbitrary in and of itself. There is a WIDE discrepancy in the range of both men's and women's athletes.  And in fact if you put all athletes in a pool, and instead created the divisions as A and B - with A being for athletes of superior skill in a particular sport and B for lesser but still excellent skill in that sport... You'd likely find that Division A would be largely male in some sports, but a much more diverse gender mix in many others.  And THAT would be the fairest system to everyone.

It will never happen, but if you want to argue fairness, then that's fairness in its purest form.

So what vexes me?

The issue is that until society catches up -- there is one thing that is unacceptable for a trans athlete. One unforgivable sin, above all others. Winning.

I think many of the people who object to trans athlete participation MIGHT acquiesce so long as the trans athletes didn't win anything.

The problem with that is ... If you're not allowed to win, then you're really not allowed to compete. And if you can't compete, you aren't really part of a team. And winning can also be construed as "winning" a roster spot, i.e. taking a "job" from a cisgender athlete.  Again, the kind of thing that athletes celebrate, share with friends and family "I made the team!" - THAT is the thing that for which people would get angry at them.

So this gives me pause. How do we get around that? What is the solution?

Until the right moves on to other things and leaves these athletes alone -- I mean for goodness sake they claimed a trans female had an advantage in a DARTS tournament recently... I don't know how to just put blinders on and say "I whole-heartedly believe we should just throw trans athletes to the wolves and put them through this.

So as I said, I 100% support trans athlete participation. I believe there should not be any bans on their competing in any sports, at any levels... but part of me also wonders if this is the time to die on this hill or not. And whether those who are pushing this agenda are really putting these athletes in the best position to succeed or not.

*sigh*  And thus my dilemma. If asked "how do you feel about trans athletes?" - I hope the person asking has 15 minutes for my response. And even then, they'll likely be more confused after hearing it then when they began.

Love,
Allie

Jenn104

A very very good post Allie. For a gal whose blog is spot on regularly, you have outdone yourself.

One thing I learned from my calls with Lynn Conway was to have short answers ready for questions you know you will get. Make sure your answers frame a conversation you want to have. So instead of a 15 minute answer, try thinking of a response that sets up a conversation you want to have. I imagine you a great conversationalist anyway. If the question is about trans athletes, I frame my answers around fairness is possible and the laws are meant to bully and humiliate kids. It is your blog and I am happy to take my answer to my own blog.

You ask a little rhetorically, "Is it time to die on this hill?" again, happy to take to my blog or another place, but ummm hell yes. If we as a community do not vocally defend our rights everywhere, we will have no rights anywhere. Does that mean getting in peoples faces and flipping-car level protests? No. I mean it in the sense having meaningful conversations when you can does make a difference.

Happy Monday

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

imallie

Quote from: Jenn104 on April 01, 2024, 06:06:51 AMA very very good post Allie. For a gal whose blog is spot on regularly, you have outdone yourself.

One thing I learned from my calls with Lynn Conway was to have short answers ready for questions you know you will get. Make sure your answers frame a conversation you want to have. So instead of a 15 minute answer, try thinking of a response that sets up a conversation you want to have. I imagine you a great conversationalist anyway. If the question is about trans athletes, I frame my answers around fairness is possible and the laws are meant to bully and humiliate kids. It is your blog and I am happy to take my answer to my own blog.

You ask a little rhetorically, "Is it time to die on this hill?" again, happy to take to my blog or another place, but ummm hell yes. If we as a community do not vocally defend our rights everywhere, we will have no rights anywhere. Does that mean getting in peoples faces and flipping-car level protests? No. I mean it in the sense having meaningful conversations when you can does make a difference.

Happy Monday

~Jenn

Thanks Jenn. I certainly agree with the idea of having short answers ready. I grew up in media, on both sides of it... and I used to do media training with our coaches and student-athletes and I'd talk about that very thing.

Politicians seek NOTHING BUT the short, 10-word responses to things, for example.

But there just are certain issues that don't work with it, and this is one of those for me. I think if forced I would reduce it down to unyielding support.. but that hesitancy is NOT about whether the time is right for OUR support, but whether we are putting these young people who are already vulnerable into a situation where they might be subjected to a great deal of negative public attention... when all they wanted to do was have the experience to which any kid their age should be entitled.

In other words, it's like as advocates we are using the trans athletes as shields to make a point. That makes me uncomfortable. We just have to make sure that these young people are the ones who want this, who are prepared to go through what it will take, what it always takes when "others" are accepted into groups. Those first people through the line are extraordinary pioneers and worthy of the thanks of everyone who follows — and sometimes on this issue it feels like we might be pushing people into that role, rather than supporting them.

Again, your point is taken. I suppose in mixed company my instincts will kick in and I'd give the kind of answers I'm trained to give. But within the community, I prefer to paint with more colors than black and white in hopes of seeing a way forward.

Love,
Allie
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: imallie on April 01, 2024, 07:01:34 AMThanks Jenn. I certainly agree with the idea of having short answers ready. I grew up in media, on both sides of it... and I used to do media training with our coaches and student-athletes and I'd talk about that very thing.

Politicians seek NOTHING BUT the short, 10-word responses to things, for example.

But there just are certain issues that don't work with it, and this is one of those for me. I think if forced I would reduce it down to unyielding support.. but that hesitancy is NOT about whether the time is right for OUR support, but whether we are putting these young people who are already vulnerable into a situation where they might be subjected to a great deal of negative public attention... when all they wanted to do was have the experience to which any kid their age should be entitled.

In other words, it's like as advocates we are using the trans athletes as shields to make a point. That makes me uncomfortable. We just have to make sure that these young people are the ones who want this, who are prepared to go through what it will take, what it always takes when "others" are accepted into groups. Those first people through the line are extraordinary pioneers and worthy of the thanks of everyone who follows — and sometimes on this issue it feels like we might be pushing people into that role, rather than supporting them.

Again, your point is taken. I suppose in mixed company my instincts will kick in and I'd give the kind of answers I'm trained to give. But within the community, I prefer to paint with more colors than black and white in hopes of seeing a way forward.

Love,
Allie

I understand.

I believe we all have to do whatever we each can do, within our own limits. I 100% support you doing what you can, within the dictates of your own conscience. The time for horizontal arguing is past.

~Jenn

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

LoriDee

Very well said, Allie.

The only part I disagree with is:
"The issue is that until society catches up -- there is one thing that is unacceptable for a trans athlete. One unforgivable sin, above all others. Winning."

This only applies to girl's and women's sports. We hear the excuses about testosterone making an unfair advantage. But like you said, they ignore the fact that HRT causes us to lose muscle mass. Every time someone complains about transgender athletes, it is exclusively about them competing with cis-females. No one is complaining about FtM athletes competing in boy's or men's sports.

All the trans community wants is to be treated equally. So make it all or nothing. Either ban all transgender athletes, (male and female), or abide by International Regulations and allow all athletes to compete in competitions aligned with their gender.

Hugs!

•  

Iztaccihuatl

Quote from: LoriDee on April 01, 2024, 09:26:48 AMThis only applies to girl's and women's sports. We hear the excuses about testosterone making an unfair advantage. But like you said, they ignore the fact that HRT causes us to lose muscle mass. Every time someone complains about transgender athletes, it is exclusively about them competing with cis-females. No one is complaining about FtM athletes competing in boy's or men's sports.

Remember the case of a high school trans male wrestler who was taking T was forced to compete in the women's category by some stupid laws and that was a big scandal as well.

They actually want to have it both ways, they want trans women to compete in the men's category, but trans men to compete in the men's category as well. Basically to push all trans athletes into the more difficult category which makes it incredibly hard to move to the top, hereby eliminating the potential for a trans athlete ever to win.
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Thanks, Allie, for bringing this topic up and thanks for a very thoughtful discussion. As a former Olympic athlete, this is close to my heart and I agree with everything you said.

I just wanted to add that both, trans kids and trans athletes are topics that the political right uses to appeal to many people's gut feelings and raw instincts to push their anti-trans agenda. And to be honest, the sense that women and children need protection and that the women's category is 'inferior' to the men's is so deeply ingrained in all of us that many people who do not know all the facts instinctively reject the idea of anybody competing in the female category who competed in the male category in the past.

Again, thanks for putting this topic in the spotlight again.

Hugs,

Heidemarie

imallie

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on April 01, 2024, 10:29:22 AMThanks, Allie, for bringing this topic up and thanks for a very thoughtful discussion. As a former Olympic athlete, this is close to my heart and I agree with everything you said.

I just wanted to add that both, trans kids and trans athletes are topics that the political right uses to appeal to many people's gut feelings and raw instincts to push their anti-trans agenda. And to be honest, the sense that women and children need protection and that the women's category is 'inferior' to the men's is so deeply ingrained in all of us that many people who do not know all the facts instinctively reject the idea of anybody competing in the female category who competed in the male category in the past.

Again, thanks for putting this topic in the spotlight again.

Hugs,

Heidemarie

You're welcome Heidemarie. I think with you being an athlete, and my having spent my entire professional career working very closely with athletes (mainly from the Division I college ranks and professional levels), we are uniquely qualified to understand this from the athlete's perspective, and how fraught this issue is. I do think everyone agrees, however, that it is so disgusting it is that it's used as merely a scare tactic for the right.

But there's also an element where they are baiting the trap for the left to react in ways that miss some of the nuance that our experience shows us. And that's why I find it so frustrating. But mostly because I wish I was smart enough to say "THIS" is the answer. I'm not. And I've thought about it. A LOT.

Seems like you have as well. And having read a lot of your postings... you're smarter than I am, so if you haven't cracked this particular nut, I don't love my odds...
  •