Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldandcreaky

"flibberty gibbet" makes me laugh, but it does belie the serious infraction of claiming ownership of someone else's story. I hope YOUR story reaches your friends and wife's family first from YOU.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 24, 2024, 10:30:04 AM"flibberty gibbet" makes me laugh, but it does belie the serious infraction of claiming ownership of someone else's story. I hope YOUR story reaches your friends and wife's family first from YOU.

Couldn't agree more.

However, a) not much I can do about what they've already done and b) everything they are doing is so much being done out of love and and excess of exuberance... it feels awful to criticize it. 

But it does need to be curtailed, it's just a tough needle to thread.

Here's the (edited) version of the text I just sent them:

Hello charter members of the Circle of Trust 😉😘 Couple of quick updates as I have just returned from my weekly electrolysis session (or "doctor's appointment" or "getting lab work done" to all my friends - can't wait until THAT weekly deception can end! I think they all think there's something wrong with my blood! 😂) Anyway - just a reminder of our plan: we are telling [my wife's]family this weekend, and then hopefully our friends next week. So while I know you may be sharing this with your closest friends (who are basically family at this point anyway) and that's great, I just want to make sure that when you're doing so that THEY know as well that this isn't public yet and it's a close hold.  Our biggest concern would be someone finding out before we get a chance to tell them. Would hate that to happen. Especially for folks who could run into people like my friends or their parents. I'm certain you knew all this but hope you don't mind me just making certain! Love you!

That was the shot I decided to take. Maybe it wasn't forceful enough, but I am hopeful it will at least resonate.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jessica_Rose

I hope they fully understand that anyone who does not respect your wishes may be subject to incessant and persistent hugs. I hope this continues to go well for you!

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Had a chat with my most gung-ho sister this morning.

She texted me and asked what pronouns I'd like her to use now and if I could tell her that would really help her. Also, she started the text, as she has EVERY text since Saturday by using my new name. Yes, EVERY text.

So first, I told her that until I'm fully transitioned publicly I'm agnostic about pronouns, and even then I will NEVER begrudge family if/when they slip up, especially when I know they are supportive and trying. I don't want anyone on pins and needles or worrying about saying the wrong thing.

I'm not that person. Never was, never will be.

Secondly, I told her that while I greatly appreciate the place of love it is coming from, it is not necessary to shoehorn my new name into every sentence. If it helps her? Makes her feel better? Go for it. But from my perspective, just use a name where you'd normally use a name. I 100% know she's supportive, that's good enough.  She doesn't need to work that hard.

And to please remember, it's still just me.

If 25-35% of that got through, I'll take it.

I do believe this will be like knocking over a Coke machine. There's no way to do it all at once. You have to rock it back and forth several times before it finally tips over. And the key is to make sure when it finally tips it tips in the right direction!

Love,
Allie
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Again and again, as in your last post, I can see why your family is so supportive. They don't want to lose you because you're top tier. I pity your brother, I truly do.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 25, 2024, 10:27:58 AMAgain and again, as in your last post, I can see why your family is so supportive. They don't want to lose you because you're top tier. I pity your brother, I truly do.

Thanks on all counts.

My brother, though... that is an entirely separate kettle of fish.

We were close growing up... he was that puppy-dog little brother type.  There's a gap between us of like seven-years, the same gap, ironically, between me and the youngest of my older sisters.

Anyway, all was fine and then sometime after 9-11 things changed with him (he lived in NYC). I am the only one who sort of pinpoints it to that, no one else really concurs, but only because it's gone so off the rails since.

He married a lovely girl, one of which we all approved and loved (and liked!) very much. Got a rescue dog which they treated like a child, you know, like some people do. Nothing odd there.

Then he became a vegan. A MILITANT vegan. Like he wouldn't come to anyone's home if you were NOT a vegan. He would send us "how could you?" Emails. That kind of militant.  Very much the "no zealot like a convert" school.

That morphed into these arguments about money with my parents, mostly because by becoming so militant he wasn't working ... or maybe he was? He got really mysterious about his jobs. He got mysterious about everything.

We went and visited them in the city when our son was young, and when he went to walk the dog, his wife, in the hushed tone of a hostage, told us that "he will be ok, he will come around" and then clammed up when he returned. It was kind of chilling.

He stopped coming to holidays. Once we decided to make the entirely of Christmas Eve vegan just for him, and he didn't show. Wow was everyone grumpy THAT night.

He was our son's godfather, but even so... when we'd send him birthday cards, or christmas cards, they started coming back "return to sender".

It just got worse and worse.

Last time I spoke with him was at birthday party for my dad. His 80th I think? He showed up, he and went outside, had a nice 30 minute conversation, although it was kind of awkward too as I was trying really hard not to push any buttons. But I thought it went well.

Well a few years later we heard, I think through his wife's dad that they were not only pregnant but had a baby.

And I decided that I just wanted him to be happy. And if, for him, happy meant we weren't in his life, then I would respect that. So I don't think we sent anything when the baby was born.

I believe that is the great crime of which I am held to account. (But I don't know for a fact).

Years later, he showed up at my mother's death bed. He, his wife, and the dog. I went over to hug him, and he said "if you're waiting for hug, you can wait for the rest of your life."

A bunch of the nephews and nieces were right there and there was a gasp. My wife looked like she was ready to kill him. I just put my hands up, shook my head, and walked away.

He showed up at my folks funerals, but he didn't sit with the family. Wasn't part of the eulogy... didn't come to the reception afterwards.

He did, a few times, bring his daughter up to see my parents. There were all sorts of rules to the visit. One or two of my sisters were there.

A couple of them do try to reach out to him from time to time. But he often then sends awful, hurtful letters back.

I long ago decided that I literally do not have the mental capacity for such hate in my life. If, however, he knocked on my door right now, I would welcome him in, and offer him a hug.

Both my wife and son think that's crazy, but that's how I feel.

So yeah... that's my brother.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Psychotic break? Some anger/fear that's festered and festered and poisoned all of him? Of course, I don't know.

I do know what it's like to have an angry brother. My angry brother died a few years ago, smoking crack laced with fentanyl. The only time I ever saw him was when I made the effort and even then, he'd be mad at me for X, Y, and Z. Forever angry. Decades and decades of anger. So, I do know a bit about your situation.

QuoteI long ago decided that I literally do not have the mental capacity for such hate in my life. If, however, he knocked on my door right now, I would welcome him in, and offer him a hug.

Atta, Allie.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 25, 2024, 01:35:43 PMPsychotic break? Some anger/fear that's festered and festered and poisoned all of him? Of course, I don't know.

I do know what it's like to have an angry brother. My angry brother died a few years ago, smoking crack laced with fentanyl. The only time I ever saw him was when I made the effort and even then, he'd be mad at me for X, Y, and Z. Forever angry. Decades and decades of anger. So, I do know a bit about your situation.

Atta, Allie.

Breaks my heart to hear about your brother. So sad and so sorry.

At least with mine, as unlikely though it is, there always remains the germ of hope. With each of my parents' death I'm sure some part of him regretted not making amends. And I assume too that he'd very much like to reenter the family, but pride and ego have long since cemented his position.

Speaking from experience ... heck, the kind of experience many if not most of us here share ... I wish he understood that enduring the possibility of an awkward or uncomfortable exchange lasting a few minutes could open up so much joy thereafter.

imallie

And ... phase II begins.

We just sent the revised email to my wife's siblings.

I feel like those old coffee commercials from the 70's -

"we've secretly replaced an email about dinner plans on Saturday to seven people with one announcing a gender transition. Let's see what happens next..."
  •  

imallie

Two nearly immediate responses - both really loving and wonderful. So that's nice.

As much as anything it's nice they were emails to the both of us (which was the goal of the way this version of the email was crafted) and hopefully will not blow up my wife's day tomorrow. Love and support are great, but hopefully she isn't inundated with sibs trying to call.

——-
Oh by the way, speaking of people reaching out to my wife...

My niece (she of two weekend's ago gender reveal) reached out to her today to discuss the baby shower. And she said to tell me that I'm more than welcome to come and she'd love to have me there if I wanted to be there... and all wonderful stuff.

My wife always describes those things as being about as much fun as a root canal. So while I greatly appreciate her thinking of me, of course I would really have no interest in going. Plus, in all honesty, my going would do nothing but draw attention from my niece... and while I know she is inviting me, that's still not very nice.

A year from now? Were the same invitation offered? It might be a different discussion and result. But for now it's a clear "very flattering to be asked, but I don't think it's a good idea."
  •  

LoriDee

I said something similar when invited for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I don't want the attention on me asking questions and such. That wasn't the point of getting together. Turns out my parents didn't even want a family celebration. They went alone to dinner, drove through Rocky Mountain National Park (their favorite), and were home by dark.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

imallie

Quote from: LoriDee on April 25, 2024, 09:34:35 PMI said something similar when invited for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I don't want the attention on me asking questions and such. That wasn't the point of getting together. Turns out my parents didn't even want a family celebration. They went alone to dinner, drove through Rocky Mountain National Park (their favorite), and were home by dark.

Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate a long successful marriage, Lori!

One thing that has been on my mind, mostly because next up is telling our friends, is that one of my oldest and dearest friends (we each served as best man at each other's wedding if that tells you anything) has a son who is getting married this summer.

That seems "fraught" to say the least. But I am not going to waste time now worrying about it. Those were the kinds of things, however, that before starting therapy, back when I thought I would shoulder this burden on my own for the rest of my life... that I would list as the "reasons" I could not tell anyone.

Because admitting who I am and taking steps to live that way would make life messy and complicated.

But what I've come to realize?

When I look back at my life up to this point, most of my favorite memories either start, finish or at least involve "messy" and/or "complicated."  And so long as I always make sure to keep the feelings of those around me at top of mind, I shouldn't fear it.

•  

davina61

Yes if you get invited to the wedding you will have to buy a posh dress, something else to worry about (just kidding dear!!)
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

imallie

Quote from: davina61 on Yesterday at 03:14:53 AMYes if you get invited to the wedding you will have to buy a posh dress, something else to worry about (just kidding dear!!)

😂😂
  •  

imallie

All sorts of lovely, lovely responses from my wife's side. In fact we've heard from 6 of 7 sibs already... and assume it's only because the 7th hasn't read it yet.

We have a dinner with four of them (previously planned) for Saturday, we just added a walk on the beach with one sister and brother-in-law when we arrive tomorrow morning, and lunch with another on Sunday on our way home.

So all is good. Not that, in this phase, I really ever had the slightest of doubts.

Still, it's all nice to hear and anytime you can check something off a list for someone like myself, it is extremely satisfying.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Allie, you've got a hot streak going like Joe DiMaggio times Cal Ripken.
  •  

imallie

Yeah, well it's wholly a product of the high quality and character of the people in my family, both sides, you know?

We've also heard from a few of the nephews on that side (there are 13 in total on that side, not sure how many have been told yet). The notes from these two were both really lovely.

By the way, I must admit to a bit of surrendering to the maudlin today.

I made a point to touch base with four of my closest friends. One whom I speak with nearly every day, so speaking to him is part of my routine. Another with whom I text with nearly daily but we can sometimes go a couple weeks without speaking - I made sure we spoke today. Another whose wife, ironically, used to call me his "other wife" because we spoke so much... we now probably talk monthly, and I called today and he said "Oh I was actually going to call you this morning I needed your advice.."

And the fourth, my college roommate, I texted him about something... and he has yet to get back to me. That's the only failure.

It felt akin to a general walking a field before a battle.

I just wanted to have one more "normal" conversation with them all before next week, likely Monday, when we share the news with them.

Again, I have no reason to expect things to blow up... but to not assume things may be different with friends is a bit foolish.

But as I said, it was just me being a bit maudlin.
  •  

imallie

Heading to the beach tomorrow... we have a very full 24 hours of meals and walks with my wife's family. Should be nice.

Just kind of reflecting on what the last seven days have been like. It's been quite the whirlwind.

Curious to see where things stand a week from now!

Love,
Allie
  •  

Oldandcreaky

An F5 whirlwind! All these years in the hurricanes of big time college athletic events are paying dividends.

@stayintheeyeandcarryon
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on Today at 04:19:50 AMAn F5 whirlwind! All these years in the hurricanes of big time college athletic events are paying dividends.

@stayintheeyeandcarryon

Yeah, that could be true. Lot of that success was about having assembled a good team... and that is by far the most important part of all of this success. I'm standing up because of all the wonderful people around me holding me up.

And to stretch that analogy probably right to the point of breaking (if not, admittedly, a bit passed) - over the past seven days I feel like I've recruited some top-flight talent for the team going forward, so I should have a pretty deep bench for whatever challenges lie ahead.

•