Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoriDee

A great support team will not only hold you up when you need it most, but they will also be the first to defend you against those who may not be supportive. You have the Dream Team.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

Iztaccihuatl

For us married MTF trans folks so much hinges on how the wife takes it. Children take their cues from their mother and her family will too. And many other folks find it easier to go along when they see that the wife is fully supportive and okay with the transition.

In this respect you really lucked out, Allie!

Hugs,

Heidemarie
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on Yesterday at 09:48:40 PMFor us married MTF trans folks so much hinges on how the wife takes it. Children take their cues from their mother and her family will too. And many other folks find it easier to go along when they see that the wife is fully supportive and okay with the transition.

In this respect you really lucked out, Allie!

Hugs,

Heidemarie

Oh believe me, Heidemarie (inadvertent rhyme - my apologies!) I'm well aware, and try to appreciate that fact every day. But then nothing has changed on that front in years. I felt that way about my wife long before transition. 😘

By the way, we just spent the day with her family -

We walked the beach with two of her sisters and one brother-in-law...

Then ate lunch with one of those sisters and the other brother-in-law...

Then had dinner later with both couples, a third sister/brother-in-law and a brother (whose wife was out of town).

In all those interactions I think only once did my transition even come up as a topic, and then only tangentially ... someone asked about my headaches and I told them how hormones were impacting it, and we did share the stories of telling our son and scheduling things with my sisters. But that's it.

Other than that, and some very nice (and appropriate) use of my new name? It was all just same old,same old. Which was very very nice, and much appreciated.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Iztaccihuatl

That sounds really nice and hearing your correct name must have been so affirming! I think your family is a poster book on how every coming out and transition should be, namely just a non-event. Kinda: thanks for letting me know another part of you, but now let's move on to some other subject.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on Yesterday at 10:23:41 PMThat sounds really nice and hearing your correct name must have been so affirming! I think your family is a poster book on how every coming out and transition should be, namely just a non-event. Kinda: thanks for letting me know another part of you, but now let's move on to some other subject.

Yup. My side was different.

My sisters really wanted to know more, and our lunch was all about me and it was really lovely and showed how much they care and all that... but it was — a lot. And subsequently one of them has been a bit too exuberant about things, but I've spoken to her and I think she gets it.
But my other two sisters have calibrated things really well.

So yes, everything with family has really gone amazingly well.

Next week is "friends" week, and we (my wife and I, and probably our son too since we will see him for dinner tomorrow) will come up for a game plan for that.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

I don't know if you're exhausted by all the revealing, but I'm exhausted for you!

Allie, have you heard anything positive or negative from the people you feared might be problematic?
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on Today at 08:55:16 AMI don't know if you're exhausted by all the revealing, but I'm exhausted for you!

Allie, have you heard anything positive or negative from the people you feared might be problematic?

Bupkis.

Actually, my sisters whose two boys are on the watch list, intimated that, although they have not contacted me "it's not their way" they are supportive. Who knows?
The other nephew - from whose brothers and sister I've gotten really nice notes is radio silent. And he and I normally do text on occasion.
And nothing from the other two brothers in law... but again, nothing negative just nothing positive.
I personally am treating all things like that as positive under proven otherwise. 
  •  

EllenW

Allie,

I am very happy that everything is going well. Based on my experience radio silence means acceptance.

Quote from: imallie on Yesterday at 10:10:26 PMsome very nice (and appropriate) use of my new name
My memory from your lost blog that Allie was not going to be your new name and that you did not want to mention it until you told your family. So, since you told them. What is your new name?

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •