Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Courtney's life begins here, redux

Started by Courtney G, January 03, 2024, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtney G

Yes, I'm sort of similar. I look much younger than I am.

I didn't mean cis people in particular; I meant others in general, including other trans folk. I tend to boast because I'm very happy with my changes, but we have to realize that we might be making others feel bad when we start bragging (or even commenting positively) about ourselves.

It's made me rethink things a bit.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

Susannah

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on January 09, 2024, 08:01:38 AMI think you'll find that losing your facial hair will be a huge gender marker for you.
Even though I am not on HRT now, I want to start to remove facial hair.  @Courtney G suggested a device about a year ago but I cannot find it now.
  •  

Courtney G

Quote from: Susannah on January 09, 2024, 09:34:46 PMEven though I am not on HRT now, I want to start to remove facial hair.  @Courtney G suggested a device about a year ago but I cannot find it now.

I bought the previous version of this model: https://us.braun.com/en-us/female-hair-removal/silk-expert-pro-ipl

•  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteI realized later that the CIS woman like to show off the nice clothes and jewelry they own at these parties as there are few opportunities these days to wear them.

Ciswomen aren't monolithic. They are individuals. Asserting that "CIS women like..." is a non-starter and when you extrapolate from one potluck, your sample size is miniscule.

Quote...she advised me to be careful not to be too boastful about my body around my partner.

It's great advice. I'm glad you're heeding it.

•  

Maid Marion

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on January 10, 2024, 09:13:16 AMCiswomen aren't monolithic. They are individuals. Asserting that "CIS women like..." is a non-starter and when you extrapolate from one potluck, your sample size is miniscule.
I meant to say that I was using previous experiences with one group of people I hang out with to better prepare for future outings with the same people.  Sorry about the poor wording.  Not just what I remember but I also have access to photographs taken at previous outings.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Thanks for replying, MM. I just try to be wary of generalizing. We're all different...up to a point. I was once part of a group where the team overseeing us deliberately failed our expectations and we reacted in utterly predictable ways, as did every group put in that situation. However, that was a controlled situation, thus the predictability.
  •  

Maid Marion

I doubt my Facebook friends are anything like the real world.
I have one self outed and repeatedly doxxed girl who is living her best life now.
A drag queen.
A mom that posts pictures of her transgender daughter.
A guy who is an LGBTQ+ supporter on Facebook.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: REM.1126

Susannah

Quote from: Courtney G on January 10, 2024, 08:55:54 AMI bought the previous version of this model: https://us.braun.com/en-us/female-hair-removal/silk-expert-pro-ipl
Thank you.  I think I will get this.  You have said this one is working well for you.
  •  

Courtney G

WARNING: there's a bit of talk of surgery-related stuff in here

Lots going on. A big update, but I have other things to do, so I'll try to whip this up right quick:

HAIR REPLACEMENT SURGERY UPDATE:

The hair surgery has, so far, been an amazing and transformative experience. I'm sitting here with a shaved head, looking like an alien, with 3,000 tiny scabs on the front of my head and 3,000 tiny holes on the back, all of which are busy healing, which means I'm itchy! I've had to mist my new grafts with saline every hour while awake and whenever I happen to wake up at night. I've been taking several different meds but that's winding down. I'm not allowed to wear pullover shirts, hats, or anything other than button-down shirts, but I put a bra on today for the first time since before surgery, because I wanted to pamper myself.

I have a special regimen for careful washing of the donor and graft areas, which I've been following carefully. Next Monday, I'll be removing the scabs and I hope to look a little less freaky. A couple days later, I'll be able to wear a hat, which will make going out in public a lot less daunting. My transplanted hairs will begin to grow, then many or most will fall out, then begin a new growth cycle. This means that the transplanted hair will likely be several weeks behind the rest of my scalp, as my hair style begins to transition from marine boot camp to civilian to person with (gasp!) a full head of hair. I'm ready for this.

The person who did the surgery did an excellent job. She created the hairline exactly as we'd designed it and the grafts are grouped very tightly. I have high hopes that this will result in a full, natural-looking head of hair.

This is mind-blowing. I cannot overstate how significant this is. I simply couldn't get past my middle-aged male hairline, but it has been replaced by a beautiful inverted "U". It will be many months before I have something here that could be styled or trimmed in a meaningful way, but after waiting 30 years, the time will fly, I'm sure. But I truly look forward to seeing the changes as they occur.

Simultaneously, my facial hair continues to go away. I had visit #3 with my local electrologist last night. We're both working on the remaining dark hairs - me with my at-home IPL hair remover and her with the professional equipment. Once we've gotten the dark hairs mostly eliminated, we'll start in on the sea of grays that were left behind by the IPL. I don't mind those much, as shaving them away is enough to keep the facial hair dysphoria at bay.

THE BIG NEWS:

A major reason for the current work on my facial hair is an upcoming trip to the Virgin Islands. My girlfriend and I are going to do a tropical island vacay, replete with swimming, snorkeling, laying in the sand - the usual stuff. It's not something we've done much of as a couple and it was never very appealing to me, because I always hated exposing my body around anyone. Things are different now.

But the differences present challenges. My body shape is incongruous with my face, voice and hair. What to do? Well, I'll be cleared to wear hats by then, so I'll be doing that (I have to avoid sunburn, anyway). But there aren't many solutions for hiding my breasts. I bought a gender-neutral swim tank from Tomboy-X but I'll need to wear a compression bra with it in order to smash my breasts down to a less-noticeable level. Going topless or simply wearing a t-shirt are not options, as I'll definitely cause a scene.

But what's the point of all of this newfound body positivity if I have to continue to hide myself? I decided that I'm also going to bring beach clothing that suits my body (literally). I've bought a wonderful bikini top and plan on buying a couple of pleated swim skirts. I took my friend's advice and bought a few top styles in a couple of sizes. I had to try 5 different ones before finding the one that works for me. And it looks amazing! It's truly blowing my mind. I wish I could show you all, but I think posting a pic of my torso in a bikini top is bad decorum for this space. But the size, shape and fullness of my breasts in this very gendered piece of female clothings is very affirming.

I bought a big, floppy hat for protection and to cover my shaved head, and I'll be getting a couple of caps designed for swimming.

My partner knows about all of this: the electrolysis, the swimwear, and my plans to hit the beach as myself. I'm sure it's not what she wants, but she's coping pretty well so far. I don't know what it will be like when I actually do it. In my dreams, she'll look over at me and say "I can see the real you. You look beautiful and happy", and we'll just be two girls on the beach together, but that's not likely. Her tacit acceptance is the best I could hope for. Fortunately, she's not a mean person, so I don't expect her to be unkind, but I'm super sensitive, and eye rolls can hurt pretty badly. Still, I must do this. This is me now. I have no choice; I can't continue to fight my desire to present myself this way. It's a bit of a trial by fire, but so be it.

LABS UPDATE:

My latest blood test revealed a milestone: my T is officially nuked. This result is consistent with my expectations, medically-speaking, but I'm still a bit surprised for two reasons:
1. I don't feel bad
2. I'm completely "functional"

I'd been warned several times by my doc that some people don't feel very good with very low T, so I came to expect that as a possible outcome. But I feel like me. Not really good or bad, just "normal." That's a good thing.

I've also heard a ton of stories of people losing all bottom function while on HRT, especially when their testosterone has been properly suppressed. In many cases, this is a desired outcome, but not always. Bottom surgery isn't on my agenda and I feel that losing the ability to respond in that way would be traumatizing to me. So...another good thing.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

TXSara

This is all great news, Courtney!  I'm really glad that you are happy with the hair transplant, and the T levels also sound like they are where you want them to be!

I will remind you, though, that it is REALLY easy to lose patience with hair transplant results.  In about a month, the scabs will be gone and so will the hairs.  You'll be freaking out, thinking that everything was for naught.  Be patient.  You won't see "diddle" for about 4 months, then every month after that will give a little more density.  You won't see everything "sprout" until the 9-10 month point.  Just be ready.  It's a hard thing to be zen about.   :)

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

Courtney G

Quote from: TXSara on January 18, 2024, 01:13:21 PMThis is all great news, Courtney!  I'm really glad that you are happy with the hair transplant, and the T levels also sound like they are where you want them to be!

Thanks!

Quote from: TXSara on January 18, 2024, 01:13:21 PMI will remind you, though, that it is REALLY easy to lose patience with hair transplant results.  In about a month, the scabs will be gone and so will the hairs.  You'll be freaking out, thinking that everything was for naught.  Be patient.  You won't see "diddle" for about 4 months, then every month after that will give a little more density.  You won't see everything "sprout" until the 9-10 month point.  Just be ready.  It's a hard thing to be zen about.   :)

You're right. I have been told the same by the hair center and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for that scary "shedding" event and the slow return that follows, but it's going to be hard to be patient, I think. I'm going to have to work at it. My hair does grow quickly and the hairs are thick, so maybe it won't be so bad, but I have to prepare for the worst. I actually think I might look *worse* that I did before the surgery at first because I might lose a lot of the hair that was already there.

•  

imallie

Great progress update Courtney!

I just got the 'nuked T' results last week, myself. Only thing I've felt is a bit more of a struggle on the treadmill, but otherwise I hadn't noticed it.

My libido took a hit early on, so that hasn't changed too much... and just today (like at lunchtime) I slapped on my increased dosage patch, so we'll see what's next with all that!

Very jelly about the hair thing -  I have the same needs, but I just don't think I'm going to go that path. I suppose I don't know for certain, but I think it's too much real estate to cover for me. LOL

Love,
Allie
  •  

Gina P

Swimming, snorkeling, and wearing a bikini, sounds grand. Don't forget the sunblock as I'm sure those parts have not seen the sun in a very long time. Wishing you all the happiness you deserve.
Your friend 
Gina
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Courtney G

Sarah B

Hi Courtney

You mentioned the following in one of your posts.

Quote from: Courtney G on January 18, 2024, 12:31:19 PMSimultaneously, my facial hair continues to go away. I had visit #3 with my local electrologist last night. We're both working on the remaining dark hairs - me with my at-home IPL hair remover and her with the professional equipment. Once we've gotten the dark hairs mostly eliminated, we'll start in on the sea of grays that were left behind by the IPL. I don't mind those much, as shaving them away is enough to keep the facial hair dysphoria at bay.

Yes, getting rid of one's facial hair was one of the bane's of my existence.  In the early stages of getting rid of my facial hair, revolved around the following schedule:

• After work on a Friday night, it was party time!!  I had to have some fun right?
  • Saturday morning was pampering time for ones body, which included electrolysis, single needle and multi needle, cannot remember the exact name of the procedure, but I will try and find out what it was, as home 'IPL' systems where not around in my time.  Wax ones face if one was going out on the town again.
  • Sunday night was reserved for waxing ones face, unless it was done on Saturday.  With warm bees wax, there was hair growth for the next 5 days and makeup covered those hairs nicely.  Yay!!
  • Goto work for the next 5 days.
  • Rinse and Repeat

I have auburn hair, yes goldilocks coloring.  The facial hair was the same.  However, after a period of time the coloring of my facial hair turned white, maybe because of the electrolysis, waxing and HRT, which helped me no end in my facial and general appearance.

The first and maybe the second time I ever had my face waxed was hard, but after that it was easy and I remember to this day what it was like not having facial hair.

I still have occasional white hair, they get plucked out with a tweezer's, don't fret my mum had more whiskers on her face than I did and watching her pluck them out was priceless.

Give it time and you will be hair free soon and it will bring with it, freedom!

I hope you have a nice day

Best wishes and hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Quote from: Courtney G on January 09, 2024, 07:20:03 PMYes, I'm sort of similar. I look much younger than I am.

It's taken me 33 odd years to find out the reason why I always looked younger than I was.

Take for example, I was at university eating a bowl rice with a fellow student, I do not know how it came about but she could not believe me when I told her my age. I was around 40's or something and she thought I was in my low 30's.  I had to show her my driving license.  Big smile on her face.

It's the hormones of course!!!!!!

Quote from: Courtney G on January 09, 2024, 07:20:03 PMI didn't mean cis people in particular; I meant others in general, including other trans folk. I tend to boast because I'm very happy with my changes, but we have to realize that we might be making others feel bad when we start bragging (or even commenting positively) about ourselves.

It's made me rethink things a bit.

Yes, one is careful of ones words.  Eventually however, they will be in the same spot in the future if they continue with their journey.  As the saying goes, "what comes around, goes around"

I hope you had a nice day and thank you.

Best wishes and hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Quote from: Courtney G on January 09, 2024, 10:52:05 AMI agree 100%. Honestly, I just can't get past two things:
Facial hair
Receding hairline

I feel as though I could get past my other "issues" but I just can't see a woman here with those issues staring me in the face.

You have completed those two steps, that's called progress and patience young padawan, you will get there, "inch by inch".

Quote from: Courtney G on January 09, 2024, 10:52:05 AMAnd gods, those chin whiskers are gosh-darn stubborn!

Tell me about those chin whiskers, even when I had my face waxed for the first time those chin whiskers, where a nightmare to get out!

Best wishes and hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Quote from: Courtney G on January 18, 2024, 12:31:19 PMI bought a big, floppy hat for protection and to cover my shaved head, and I'll be getting a couple of caps designed for swimming.

Three maybe four types of material for swimming caps and you can use them in the shower maybe.

• Cotton type fabric
  • Latex
  • Silicone
  • Rubber? (I'm thinking old granny type caps.)

Let us know what type of cap you get and use when you go swimming

Best wishes
Sarah B
PS Swimming is  my passion
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Courtney G

Quote from: Sarah B on January 20, 2024, 08:01:04 PMThree maybe four types of material for swimming caps and you can use them in the shower maybe.

• Cotton type fabric
  • Latex
  • Silicone
  • Rubber? (I'm thinking old granny type caps.)

Let us know what type of cap you get and use when you go swimming

Best wishes
Sarah B
PS Swimming is  my passion

A set of 4 (inexpensive) spandex caps and 1 lycra cap arrived today. Going to see how they feel - maybe try them in the shower. I'm not going for any kind of protection/water resistance, just looking to camouflage my post-surgery shaved head while we swim and snorkel. My big goal is for the cap to remain on while I dunk my head below and above the water. Once we're done and we get back to the beach towels, I'll switch to a big, floppy hat I bought, which will offer sun protection, stylishness and help me to blend in when I'm presenting female.

The whole idea of presenting as a woman on a beach is both thrilling and terrifying. And as I mentioned above, I'm not expecting much support from my partner over this. The best I think I can hope for is some kind of tolerance. I really want to paint my nails and put a bit of makeup or something on (especially foundation!) but that might be a bridge too far. We'll see. I have to push for these things - I have to advocate for myself. I don't have a choice.

EDIT: upon reflection after typing that last bit, I realize that pushing too far will likely backfire. I've mentioned wearing "clothes that are right for my body" and she knows I'm talking about women's swimwear. This is a major bridge we have to cross and it's a lot for her to deal with. Why push the issue with makeup and nails and stuff? As uncomfortable as I might be without the camouflage, I'll be way worse off if she has a freakout when I pull out nail polish and ask "what do you think?" Baby steps are best.

•  

Sarah B

Hi Courtney

Your plans for swimming, sound great.

Quote from: Courtney G on January 21, 2024, 08:49:49 PMThe whole idea of presenting as a woman on a beach is both thrilling and terrifying. And as I mentioned above, I'm not expected much support from my partner over this. The best I think I can hope for is some kind of tolerance. I really want to paint my nails and put a bit of makeup or something on (especially foundation!) but that might be a bridge too far. We'll see. I have to push for these things - I have to advocate for myself. I don't have a choice.

EDIT: upon reflection after typing that last bit, I realize that pushing too far will likely backfire. I've mentioned wearing "clothes that are right for my body" and she knows I'm talking about women's swimwear. This is a major bridge we have to cross and it's a lot for her to deal with. Why push the issue with makeup and nails and stuff? As uncomfortable as I might be without the camouflage, I'll be way worse off if she has a freakout when I pull out nail polish and ask "what do you think?" Baby steps are best.

Let me tell you a little story about me and I hope it gives you some food for your own personal thoughts.   This is your blog so again, I have decided to put it into a general post, you can read it here,  My Epiphany.

Best wishes and hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Courtney

The method or similar that was used to remove my facial hair was
Galvanic Electrolysis called 'Multi Probe'

This Electrolysis utilizes a 16 probe system where the 16 probes are one-by-one progressively inserted into each unwanted hair follicle selected for treatment, so ensuring thorough removal of visible unwanted hair.

Have a nice day
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •