News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Patches

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 04, 2024, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtney G

Quote from: LoriDee on March 18, 2024, 09:43:15 AM@Courtney G

It will be interesting to see the difference. My new Grove patches arrive today, but labs are not until April 8th. Hopefully, we can both start hitting our target levels. Let us know the results, if you don't mind.

Yes, absolutely. I'll post them here, as I think the data is relevant to the topic.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

imallie

Hey all - a patches question for you.

My endo just upped my dose to 0.15/week... which means a 0.1 patch and a 0.05 patch.

This will be the first time I've worn multiple patches. Is there any particular strategy to maximize efficacy? Or is it just the same as with one — meaning just put them in the same places I normally put my one, and it's fine if I put two in the same area, or one on each side of my body, etc - that doesn't matter?

Just curious how those who have done this have played this in the past.

Thanks!
Allie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower

LoriDee

I change patches twice a week and wear three at a time. I put all three on the left side on Tuesdays and the right side on Fridays. I also use an IV Hand Dressing to cover them so clothing doesn't rub them off. The brand is IV 3000 and they work great. I like them better than Tagederm. Waterproof yet porous so skin can breathe. No problems with patch residue when they come off. It seems the residue is just dust/lint that collects on the glue at the edge of the patch. With the dressing over them, the edges are not exposed.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: LoriDee on April 23, 2024, 08:36:18 PMI change patches twice a week and wear three at a time. I put all three on the left side on Tuesdays and the right side on Fridays. I also use an IV Hand Dressing to cover them so clothing doesn't rub them off. The brand is IV 3000 and they work great. I like them better than Tagederm. Waterproof yet porous so skin can breathe. No problems with patch residue when they come off. It seems the residue is just dust/lint that collects on the glue at the edge of the patch. With the dressing over them, the edges are not exposed.

Yeah, I just change weekly... and I've been alternating sides.

I have no problem with the patches staying on... I do have a bit of an issue with the residue (sometimes the first night of a patch, a little gets on the sheets in the bed) but otherwise no other issues.

So I think based on what you're saying I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing — just add the second patch. So two patches on one side, and then move them to the other side the next week.

Curious to see what this 50% increase will do and if I'll notice a change!!
  •  

Courtney G

Quote from: LoriDee on March 18, 2024, 09:43:15 AMIt will be interesting to see the difference. My new Grove patches arrive today, but labs are not until April 8th. Hopefully, we can both start hitting our target levels. Let us know the results, if you don't mind.

My labs results using 2x .100mg/day Grove patches + 50mg/day spiro was spot on:
Estradiol: 220 pg/mL
Testosterone: 25 ng/dL
I happened to meet with my endo today and she was very happy with the numbers. I should point out that I tested closer to peak than trough. I replaced my patches on a Monday evening and got tested on Tuesday afternoon. Even though patches are supposed to have a very even delivery rate, I've found that I can "feel" the highest E level the day after Patch Day, followed by a reduction for the next couple of days until I'm due to replace them. Most notable is breast tenderness, which always peaks on the day after I replace the patches. I still have a pretty fast metabolism, so I think I "burn up" the medication faster than some.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

Thanks, Courtney!

I've found I don't notice the peak, but the trough. It's more like I get moody and irritable, then I remember that tomorrow is patch day. That was with the Mylan patches. With the Grove patches, I still notice it but not to the same extreme. I also noticed that the difference between the two brands is the formulation. Grove patches deliver estradiol whereas Mylan patches deliver estradiol hemihydrate. I read the pamphlet that comes in the box with the patches.

I don't know what that means chemically, but apparently, my body knows the difference. We will see what my labs say in June.

•  

D'Amalie

I'm not sure I can tell a peak from a trough.  I use two patches changing every 3rd day (72hours).  ESTRADIOL 0.1MG/DAY (EQV-VIVELLE-DOT) APPLY 2 PATCHES TO AREA OF THE SKIN EVERY SEVENTY-TWO (72) HOURS FOR HRT. TOTAL EVERY DAY DOSE 200MCG EVERY DAY.  I noticed a sister said they changed only once a week?  I didn't think there was an option for that, what brand?
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

LoriDee

Mylan offers the once-a-week. I didn't like them because they didn't seem to last the whole week. My levels were rollercoastering, so doc changed to twice a week to even things out.

•  

imallie

Huh. I don't think I notice peaks nor troughs. It seems very smooth for me.

My endo was a bit surprised that my level dropped in the latest testing — she kind of attributed it to something being off with the test — but said obviously we'll see what it looks like in three months and with the 50% increase.

My T levels have cratered and stayed there, so the spiro dosage is unchanged.

But maybe now that I'll be up to a bigger level on the patches I will see if I'm aware of any differences during the week. I will try to be aware of them.
  •  

davina61

I use 2 x100ml twice a week, never notice any dips/peaks. Getting the residue off is a pain, make up cleaning pad and surgical spirit works but if my nails are done it melts it.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: imallie on April 23, 2024, 08:26:38 PMHey all - a patches question for you.

My endo just upped my dose to 0.15/week... which means a 0.1 patch and a 0.05 patch.

This will be the first time I've worn multiple patches. Is there any particular strategy to maximize efficacy? Or is it just the same as with one — meaning just put them in the same places I normally put my one, and it's fine if I put two in the same area, or one on each side of my body, etc - that doesn't matter?

Just curious how those who have done this have played this in the past.

Thanks!
Allie

I wear two patches, changed every 3.5 days.  I don't notice peaks or troughs.

I change the location on my belly every time I stick on a new pair.  With the old Sandoz generic patches, which were enormous, there was only room for three sites.  So each site got only a 7 day break.  The combination of that plus the caustic adhesive caused severe, painful rashes.

Now I use Estradot patches, which are much smaller and have a more benign adhesive.  There is room on my belly for eight different locations, meaning that I can go a whole month before re-using the same piece of skin.  No more rashes.

The adhesive residue from the old generic patches was water-soluble (which is whey they didn't stick well in the shower), and washed of easily with soap and water.  The Estradot patches use an oil-soluble adhesive, which doesn't wash off easily.  A little bit of bath oil on a makeup pad takes the residue off in a minute or two.  I don't know what brand you use or what adhesive it uses.  But if soap and water don't remove the residue, try oil.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate

imallie

Mine are the Sandoz patches, but luckily I don't have issues with rashes... maybe a bit of dry skin in the area but since I go back and forth, it normally clears up after a day or two so by the time I go back to that side the next week, it's good.

And I tend to put mine on my hips / butt

By the way, I just put on my first dual patch dose a moment ago.

I think, in the most un-feminine way possible to describe it, adding the second patch felt very much like Thanos adding another infinity stone to his gauntlet.

(Sorry, not sorry! 😉😂)
  •  

Courtney G

I've found the Grove patches to be superior to the Mylan ones, as they're smaller and stay fitted longer. Regarding the peak/trough thing, your offered data points kind of reinforce my thought that I "burn" through the medication faster than most.

I have a refill on the way right now and I'm really hoping they're not Mylan. They don't allow me to specify.

Allie, I get it. Upping your dose is a powerful feeling. I found it thrilling.

•  

Moonflower

Dotti?

My wife is using up her Mylan dots. Her next box is Dotti because that's the only generic brand we found available nearby. Has anyone had experience with it?
:icon_wave:
1999 married :icon_archery:
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
Fall 2018 my sweetheart's coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •  

LoriDee

I had never heard of them, so just did a quick search:

"Dotti has an average rating of 2.0 out of 10 from a total of 36 reviews for the treatment of Postmenopausal Symptoms. 8% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 89% reported a negative experience."

This is from Drugs.com
Dotti Patch Reviews

WebMD reports similar reviews.

I hope you have good luck with them. Let us know.
Hugs!

•