Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie

Had quite the conversation with a friend today. He's probably my closest friend... or at least the one I speak to most often (like almost on a daily basis, if not more).

When I sent the letter the call we had the next morning was incredible, and since then we've been back in our regular routine.

But today, and I think this was probably because we were talking about this weekend and I reminded him that Saturday was "hair day"... he suddenly was a question machine. And it was pretty hilarious.

It started with "Oh yeah... so I have to get used to you with hair soon, huh?" And went on to...
"When are you going to start wearing skirts?" (I replied "when are YOU going to start wearing skirts?" 😂) and when I told him I didn't think skirts would be part of my wardrobe he asked "don't you want to show off your legs?"

He asked about bathroom use in public... he asked what shoes I'm going to wear... I mean, it was 20 minutes of this... Every minute or so he'd say "It's ok that I'm asking all these questions?" And I'd always say "Sure, no problem" and I really meant it... because the questions were really being asked with such love and curiosity.

It's hard to describe. I hope people don't think this conversation was intrusive. And maybe in other relationships it would be. But for me, for us, it was really on brand and it was really the kind of thing that filled my tank for a bit, you know?

Love,
Allie
  •  

LoriDee

I never have a problem with questions like that. It is just small talk between friends and they ask because they are interested and truly want to understand. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

imallie

Quote from: LoriDee on Yesterday at 05:40:36 PMI never have a problem with questions like that. It is just small talk between friends and they ask because they are interested and truly want to understand. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Oh I couldn't agree more. But I do know everyone doesn't feel that way.

And you know what? This just sort of dawned on me. I think back to just a few months ago, to my entire life before letting people know about the real me... I think I very much was less casual about being asked such personal questions.

I don't think people knew it (obviously), but I was always concerned I might inadvertently say something that would show my cards, so to speak. So it was always about what could I say, without really saying everything. And I think it probably led to a lot of flippant, sarcastic and humerous answers... and me using my ability to redirect a conversation away from anything potentially too probing.

The result is that I think I missed out on a level of closeness with people. I do have a number of close friends. But I wonder how much deeper those relationships would have been by now. Just by my friend's 20-questions and my open-book responses ... I think there's a lot to look forward to in the future.

•  

Oldandcreaky

•  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on Yesterday at 08:20:42 PMLovely, Allie.

Thank you. Just honest, I think. I do think that is the kind of stuff I'm most looking forward to in all of this. It's not the trappings of "femininity" -- I mean, who defines that anyway? -- it's the way my relationship to the world at large, and more specifically my little corner of it, will be changed and enriched.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

I agree, Allie.

I think it has to do with honesty. Being honest with ourselves helps us be a better person, which improves the world... one person at a time.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Quoteit's the way my relationship to the world at large

Spot on.
  •  

davina61

Yes the first time I turned up at hot rod club in a dress threw a few to start with even though they all knew, no problem now and get nice comments from the wives/girl friends as well. Shopping today so jeans and a long flower pattern top, its chill by the freezer section!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

imallie

Nice start to the morning... got an email from the salon confirming my appointment for Saturday, saying they're looking forward to seeing me and that they have a private room reserved for us from 9-11 am!  It's a really trans-friendly place so it's not a concern about the other patrons, but it's just nice to be able to do all this without the distractions of the rest of the salon!

Really, REALLY looking forward to it! Oh and my wife has already made a lunch reservation for us afterwards at a place not too far from the salon that we like... so that's nice too!

So... emboldened by all that, I have decided this morning to take another shot at my personal white whale.

As many of you know, I create healthy recipes that I have used in my weight loss. I try to tweak items that we enjoy and just reduce calories, bump up protein and/or fiber, etc... where possible, without sacrificing taste. I've had some pretty big hits, and some big misses... but normally I can sort things out given a few shots.

Except one.

I've made countless varieties of muffins. And they're really good. But the one I cannot crack is the Pina Colada muffin. Cannot get it to work. Too wet, too dry, no taste, etc etc... a Pina Colada muffin has a very specific taste/texture in my mind, and I can't hit it.

Most muffins, the recipe will say something like "Black Forest Muffin (Ver 4.0)".  The most recent Pina Colada FAILURE says "Pina Colada Muffin (Ver 11.0)."

Well this morning - Ver 12.0 is coming!

Do I think I've cracked it? Hmmmm. I had a really optimistic period around Versions 5-9, but I must admit I got a little down and Versions 10 and 11 were doomed before they started. But I feel optimism welling up again for this one.

The macros look solid (they always do, though)... so it'll just come down to how it bakes and eats.

Will report back at some point.
  •  

imallie

My wife said "your persistence is inspiring" .... Which is a north east way of saying "bless your heart" 😂❤️

I did remind her that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results... so I guess I prefer her spin on it.

About to go into the oven... 🤞
  •  

davina61

Is that due to pineapple juice ? I know it can be tricky to cook with, something to do with the acids?
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

imallie

Quote from: davina61 on Today at 09:57:53 AMIs that due to pineapple juice ? I know it can be tricky to cook with, something to do with the acids?

Actually, acids are good. You want acids in a bake - it's what the baking powder latches onto to get the rise.

The issue is, or always has, been the ratio of types of pineapple and how it impacts my wet-dry mix.

Normally my wet ingredients are 1/2 c of almond milk, 1/3 c sugar free apple sauce, 1/3 c maple syrup, 1 c non-fat yogurt and two large eggs. I will tweak that depending on whether it's fruit based, chips, dried fruit, etc...

But with something like pineapple? To really get the pineapple flavor I'm trying to replace the applesauce with crushed pineapple... and then still use some chopped pineapple. And it's a tough mix to hit.

The applesauce is a replacement for oil in bakes... and I think trying to get pineapple to stand in for it just isn't done. But if I still use applesauce and then just add some chopped pineapple? It's not "pineapple forward" enough. So IF I can land this... it should be good.

Or that's what I've said ELEVEN times previous. But I messed with the ratios again this time, and the batter does seem correctly dense... so we will see. Been here before. Cannot imagine it'll get much of a rise being so heavy, but that I can live with.
  •  

Maid Marion

I just bought a fancy bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar.
I have some really old stuff in cheap plastic bottles and decided that no, I wasn't going to cook with that!  I used some wine vinegar instead.

I use boxed Sauvignon Blanc when I want to add acid with a white wine.
Squeezing out the air and storing wine in the refrigerator vastly improves the shelf life if you just want to cook with it.
I've yet to have any go bad.

I use Mirin or Japanese Sake in Teriyaki  sauce but actually isn't as acid as Vinegar or white wine.
Sake is fermented rice without added sweeteners like Aji-Mirin.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Maid Marion on Today at 10:20:05 AMI just bought a fancy bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar.
I have some really old stuff in cheap plastic bottles and decided that no, I wasn't going to cook with that!  I used some wine vinegar instead.

I use boxed Sauvignon Blanc when I want to add acid with a white wine.
Squeezing out the air and storing wine in the refrigerator vastly improves the shelf life if you just want to cook with it.
I've yet to have any go bad.

I use Mirin or Japanese Sake in Teriyaki  sauce but actually isn't as acid as Vinegar or white wine.
Sake is fermented rice without added sweeteners like Aji-Mirin.

Oh yeah, mirin is great to cook with!

Apple Cider vinegar too... as is red wine vinegar. I also use both of them in things like slaws. They give that nice tang you're looking for.
  •  

imallie

Thank all that is holy... the long national nightmare is over. 😂

Seriously, though... these are bangin'. Finally.

Hey, you give me 12 shots at something... I can do a job. Sheesh.

Love,
Allie

P.S.  Some macros. 

Per muffin: 105 calories, 2 g fat, 6 g of protein, 16 g carbs — mainly from the fruit and oats.

Typical pina colada muffin will run 250-400 cal, 10-15 g of fat, 3 g of protein and 30-50 g of carbs, most of them sugar.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

Those look SO yummy, Allie.
Good job! I can almost smell them over here.

2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: LoriDee on Today at 11:39:13 AMThose look SO yummy, Allie.
Good job! I can almost smell them over here.

Thanks. I take absolutely no satisfaction in this, I must admit. Well, it's 99% relief and 1% satisfaction. It's very reminiscent of news/sports writing on a nightly deadline. Sometimes it's getting to the finish line you celebrate, less than the finished product.

But they are good. Wish I could share!
  •