Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Marion's Retirement

Started by Maid Marion, January 05, 2024, 11:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

davina61

I just recline my sofa watching the TV ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

LoriDee

I do the same. But then I realize that I am not watching TV.
The TV is watching me zzzzzzzzzzzz in the chair.  ;D
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Maid Marion

I never could sleep in a recliner.  Which is why I got rid of mine.

Cooking fresh mussels in two batches turned out great.
Cooking a small batch allowed me to toss the bad ones quickly. And cook both meals in one large pan.
If I missed one that went bad overnight in the cold refrigerator it might be safe to eat but I tossed them anyway. Good to check things twice!
Thinking it over allowed me to combine recipes and remember that I like to add a bit of Japanese red pepper Ichimi Togarashi. In an Italian restaurant the key word is Diavolo or "Devil."  Next time I'll add a bit of oregano to mix of bay leaves, EVO, onions, plenty of garlic, and tomatoes.  Normally I don't like the mushy texture and seeds of tomatoes but I read a recipe overnight saying I could just spoon that out! So I did!  I  took the mussels out of the pan as soon as they were open. Reduced the Sauvignon Blanc used to boil the mussels and make a sauce to top the butter coated mussels over pasta.

I think my wife was pleasantly surprised that if she wanted to eat something in particular, I could figure out how to cook it!

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Maid Marion

The little knife I used for cutting up Porterhouse into smaller steaks had gotten dull.
I eyeballed the bevel and took a few slow strokes against my 8000 grit waterstones, on each side then back again.  It is now sharp again!

Another rainy day so I spend almost all my time indoors doing Spring cleaning.
I got a lot of stuff to clean!  I don't remember buying all that stuff.

Marion
  •  

Maid Marion

I made an old guy smile today.

I was debating whether to wear my pink bucket hat on a drugstore and takeout run.
We exchanged looks driving past each other.  He smiled because he was wearing a white bucket hat, undoubtedly because he just had some skin surgery and was warned by the doctor that he needed to do so.  Seeing me in my pink bucket hat made him smile!

After ten years I was running out of Band-Aids and bought new ones.  As well as two chocolate candy bars.  Then it was off to Doogies to get my 2ft hotdog, Fanta orange soda,and french fries.
The weather was gorgeous so I at the fries with ketchup outside at a picnic table.

For breakfast I had an english muffin and a cinnamon churro waffle.  For dinner I had a 6oz teriyaki tenderloin steak with steamed rice.

Marion
  •  

Maid Marion

I have a Japonica camellia that gets too much afternoon sun, despite being in a protected spot north of the house. The sun scalds the leaves while hybrid camellia next to it is now a showy specimen plant.  I just figured out that if I mount an old solar panel vertically next to it, the bottom white side of the panel will reflect the morning sun back onto the camellia, while the normal side will shade the camellia.  The solar panel can be used to power some LED lights in the basement for rooting plants!  The basement is about the ideal temperature for root growth.  I bet the average gardener wouldn't think of using a solar panel in a vertical orientation for doing that!

Camellias provide a splash of early winter color in Connecticut, as my specimen plant blooms in late November or December, after a killing frost has shut down the roses.  A Japonica may be able to provide a mid winter bloom, when nothing else is blooming in Connecticut!  Both plants are fifteen years old and have survived -11 Fahrenheit unprotected outside.  They died back to the ground but bounced back beautifully!

It is quite the challenge figuring out how to get flowers all year in a four season climate.  I took a rooted cutting and will try growing it indoors in a semi-heated sun room.  It used to be the laundry room and got converted to a sun room with expensive electric heat and a North facing roof window.  I never run the electric radiator.  It also used to be the cat's room, where I put the food and kitty litter.  Maybe it will become my indoor garden?

So many ideas, so little time!
  •  

Maid Marion

I'm such a unicorn!
My most common golfing mistake with driver off the tee is topping the ball.
What makes me unusual is that instead of shortening my swing, I need to make it longer!
If I shorten it I think I need to swing harder, which messes up my timing!
Instead, if I make it longer, I have plenty of time to get the path of the club head properly aligned!
Just like landing an airplane and getting the glide path right.  I'd rather have a long runway than a short one!
By the time the club finally reaches the ball it is moving a pretty good clip!
A longer swing means faster for me!  But many seniors lack the flexibility to do that!

I was really tiny but I was fast enough to throw and land a right hook. Bullies take notice of that!
This revelation horrified my wife, who was taught to turn the other cheek, growing up as a Quaker Pacifist. 
I knew how to turn the other guy's cheek!   As I said,
I'm such a Unicorn!
  •  

Maid Marion

I put an old pair of prescription safety glasses in the donation pile.  They were very narrow glasses and were "safety glasses" because the lenses met impact standards.  But, I feel safer in my new glasses because they cover so much of my face!  I pick frames with very large lenses.   ;D

Today I'm finally upgrading to Win 11 with a new mini computer. 
With a new pink computer desk for girls!  24 inch monitor and gaming keyboard.

I have an embarassment of riches.  Buying new stuff is easy. 
Changing the infrastructure of the house to use it most effectively takes work.
I'll be able to run three computers simultaneously, each with their own monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
  •  

Maid Marion

I did it! I moved the computer desk from one room to another!
I'd imagine it is like having a pool table or piano installed in an room where you have a great view of your surroundings from high above.

My wife prided herself on being able to decorate a room and eyeballing how stuff would fit.
She was shocked to find out that I can manipulate images in 3D to figure out stuff out.
I lifted up the desk to rotate it through the doors.  Mission accomplished!
Now I can put my shoe rack back to the corner of the room.
  •  

Maid Marion

A big logistical challenge was engineerig a dry basement so I could store stuff down there.
When I first moved in it used to flood when we had heavy rains.  I built up the yard with leaf compost so my yard is higher. It took twenty years but I'm delighted with the results! I planted rose beds to soak up the water, as well as water hungry trees. ;D

Dehumidifiers have gotten a lot more energy efficient.  I have to take the old one to the Town Dump for disposal.
I put the dehumidifier on a work table and run the water drain to the washer drain so I don't have to empty out the water.

Maid Marion

I think the computer table will be a good place for storing my old DSLRs.
I can quickly grab them to take pictures of wildlife I see in the yard.

Northern Star Girl

@Maid Marion
Dear Marion:

Good news on drying out your damp basement and taking steps to
help prevent excess ground water around the foundation of your home.

Regarding having your cameras on your computer table...  the tables that
my computers at home and at my office are a place that I put everything
important... keys, handbag, cameras, and snack food.

Thanks for sharing and posting,

HUGS, Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

LoriDee

In my experience, anything that has a surface will collect stuff.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Maid Marion

I think I'll use the new table to hold appointment reminders!
The immediate high priority ones get placed on the keyboard!
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Please share some of your wildlife photos, MM.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Marion:
My computer monitors at home and at work are usually plastered with sticky-notes.
HUGS,
Danielle

Quote from: Maid Marion on Yesterday at 04:33:24 AMI think I'll use the new table to hold appointment reminders!
The immediate high priority ones get placed on the keyboard!
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Maid Marion

I use Post-it notes in the kitchen to remind me of the ingredients and steps for my favorite recipes.

I have plenty of obsolete business cards that work great for writing down reminders!
They are just the right size to fit in my wallet with my credit cards. It is easier to write on paper with substance!

A possum tried to cross the road to my house but didn't make it.  :(
I gave it a proper burial near the Tartarian maple tree.

I saw a woodpecker that was smaller than than usual pileated woodpeckers I've seen.  It had the distinctive head so I assume it was a juvenile pileated woodpecker.

The big red rose is called Grande Amore.  A purple rhododendron is up against the house behind it.
  •  

LoriDee

That is beautiful, MM.

I love the business card idea!

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Paulie

Possums don't do well with roads, do they?  It was nice of you to give it to rest.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

As I shared another time, I see Downy and Hairy woodpeckers everyday in my yard. They're common. Pileated woodpeckers prefer deep, mature woods and even though I have hundreds of trees on all three sides of me that I own, I still don't see Pileated woodpeckers. Plus, I live in a heavily forested state. My last home was even deeper in the woods and I saw two Pileated woodpeckers there in ten years. Yet, you live in the suburbs and see them often, even though they're known for disappearing for considerable periods of time. Again, since you're a wildlife photographer, please share your photos. I'd love to see them.
  •