Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Look What I Made! (Sewing Projects)

Started by Iztaccihuatl, January 12, 2024, 02:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iztaccihuatl

In the past when I was desperately trying to project a male image I wouldn't go near a sewing machine, unless, of course, the sewing machine needed to be repaired, which was a man's job... ::)

Later, when I tried to envision myself living as a woman, the question came up where I would find clothes that fit, since I am a very, very tall woman (like 6'6" / 198cm tall, without heels!). Most retailers, if they offer a tall women's size range, it is usually made for women between 5'6" / 168cm and 5'11" / 180cm, so still too short for me. [A big shoutout here to American Tall (https://americantall.com) for offering an extra tall size scale for women between 6'0" and 6'6".]

As usual when I can't find what I want, my next thought is: how about I make it myself? And that got me interested in learning how to sew. For my first project I found a pattern with a pretty good video instruction that was easy to follow and voila, I found a new hobby! And it aligns perfectly with my gender identity, unlike other hobbies of mine like welding...

With that, I'd like to introduce this new thread where all of us hobby seamstresses and tailors can share and proudly show off our latest fashion designs.

I'll go ahead and show my latest project. For a long time I wanted to have a cropped tweed jacket, but couldn't find one for my arm lengths. So after Thanksgiving I got some fabric, thread and buttons and started the Tweed Jacket project. It took me about 2 weeks to finish the jacket, but that time also included time for grading the pattern to my size, lengthening all pieces and making a toile before even laying hands on the fabric for the jacket. And since I had some leftover fabric, I recently decided to make a matching skirt, so I have now a complete outfit. Here is a picture, both the jacket and skirt are fully lined and the only thing missing are commercial neck or back labels and care instructions:

I hope to see lots of wonderful designs here from you all!

Hugs,

Heidemarie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Maid Marion

Hi Heidemarie,

That looks great.  Especially the matching skirt.
It was the opposite for me.  I bought sewing machines to make my guy clothes fit.
There is such a poor selection for small guys that I had to make do with what I could find.

Marion
  •  

Moonflower

Marvelous outfit! It fits so well, and is beautifully proportioned for you! You did great learning!!!!
Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on January 12, 2024, 02:09:36 PMIn the past when I was desperately trying to project a male image I wouldn't go near a sewing machine, unless, of course, the sewing machine needed to be repaired, which was a man's job... ::)

Later, when I tried to envision myself living as a woman, the question came up where I would find clothes that fit, since I am a very, very tall woman (like 6'6" / 198cm tall, without heels!). Most retailers, if they offer a tall women's size range, it is usually made for women between 5'6" / 168cm and 5'11" / 180cm, so still too short for me. [A big shoutout here to American Tall (https://americantall.com) for offering an extra tall size scale for women between 6'0" and 6'6".]
Quote from: Maid Marion on January 12, 2024, 02:55:55 PMIt was the opposite for me.  I bought sewing machines to make my guy clothes fit.
There is such a poor selection for small guys that I had to make do with what I could find.

Marion
I, too, have had a lifelong problem finding clothes that fit. I've been sewing all of my life but I don't enjoy it. However, I love the results for my narrow shoulders, long arms, legs, and torso. I bought a pile of women's clothes when these features were in style. But my body has changed shape during the past few years, so I'm replacing my wardrobe.

Taking my petite sweetheart shopping for men's OR women's clothes motivated me to sew again. I love designing clothes and shopping for materials. I'd rather create something new than alter another item that was poorly made. But altering men's and women's patterns for her and me hasn't been as rewarding as I'd like.
QuoteAs usual when I can't find what I want, my next thought is: how about I make it myself? And that got me interested in learning how to sew. For my first project I found a pattern with a pretty good video instruction that was easy to follow and voila, I found a new hobby! And it aligns perfectly with my gender identity, unlike other hobbies of mine like welding...

With that, I'd like to introduce this new thread where all of us hobby seamstresses and tailors can share and proudly show off our latest fashion designs.
I'm learning patternmaking from a Craftsy set of videos and the instructor's book. It's pretty annoying that the instructions for women's bodies don't work for us, and the author plainly states that men's clothes fit looser, so I've had to do days of trial and error to get my first project to fit well. But I'm really excited as I get each step closer to being able to hold functional fabric versions of what we've been imagining.
:icon_wave:
1999 married :icon_archery:
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
Fall 2018 my sweetheart's coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •  

Moonflower

I started learning pattern drafting from someone who primarily designs for The Industry using Industry Standards. That doesn't work for my sweetheart and me.

I learned from several other sources. I keep getting stuck because our bodies are so non-typical.  I'm collecting bits and pieces so I can eliminate Industry Standards and just use our extremely detailed and precise measurements.

Here are some examples of what I've been going through.
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

I decided if I wanted to sew better fitted clothes for me I really need a dress form. The problem is: there are no dress forms available for 6'6" women! Unless I spend bug bucks and go for a custom made dress form. Or so I thought. Until I stumbled over a web site where one can enter all their measurements and will receive a computer generated sewing pattern for a custom dress form. Cool!

So I spent the last 2 weeks building me my own custom dress form. Here it is. I am still working on the detachable arms.

•  

Moonflower

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on February 23, 2024, 04:21:27 PMSo I spent the last 2 weeks building me my own custom dress form. Here it is.

Wow! That is seriously awesome! You'll love seeing your work on it and making adjustments on it!

Years ago, I got the smallest Industry Standard one and glued thick layers of felt all over it to make it close to my shape. Now I have to rebuild it because my shape is all different.
  •  

imallie

Heidemarie -

Wow! Very very impressive!!!
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Thanks, Allie and Moonflower for your comments!

Quick update, over the weekend she has grown some arms. Now I am on the lookout for my next sewing project to make good use of that dress form. I probably will make a dress since I always have issues finding a dress long enough and with the waist line on my waist, not somewhere between my waist and my boobs...

Hugs,

Heidemarie

•  

Iztaccihuatl

Here is my latest creation as a couturière. That dress form I recently made came invert handy for making this dress.

•  

Moonflower

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on March 13, 2024, 03:47:11 PMHere is my latest creation as a couturière.

Absolutely gorgeous! The fit is excellent! And it hangs so beautufully on your frame!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

You are an accomplished seamstress Heidemarie!

Very nice work indeed.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Thanks, Moonflower and Chrissy!

I agree it hangs nicely on my frame, although I have to admit that I don't really like my frame, it is too bulky and no noticeable waist. This dress is somewhat flattering as it features an A-line skirt which desperately tries to simulate wider hips, which simply aren't there. Yeah, and I should loose some weight, I know...

Hugs,

Heidemarie
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on March 15, 2024, 11:57:12 AMThis dress is somewhat flattering as it features an A-line skirt which desperately tries to simulate wider hips

The skirt definitely works without being toooooo girlish. The sweetheart neckline also feminizes your figure well.

Have you tried V-shaped princess seams on a bodice, just between your bust and waist to see their feminizing effect? Like these patterns

https://simplicity.com/vogue-patterns/v8997
I've been loving this one for years with sleeves and the flared skirt

https://simplicity.com/vogue-patterns/v9327
View A
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Here is the latest design from the fashion house of Heidemarie, a ruched bust top, just in time for the summer!

It is my first piece using knit stretch fabrics. A serger / overlock sewing machine would have been really nice for this type of fabric. Since I don't have one I had to zigzag my way on a normal sewing machine through the entire project...

Northern Star Girl

@Iztaccihuatl
Dear Heidemarie:

Very, very  nicely done.  You did a great job with the
sometimes difficult to work with stretch fabric... and the ruched
and gathered sewing projects are not easy to do.

Again, very nice job.  Thank your for sharing and posting your
photo of your latest design from the Fashion house of Heidemarie

HUGS, Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Thanks Danielle, that's so kind of you!

Heidemarie
  •  

Maid Marion

Hi Heidemarie,

That looks great!

I have a Bernette Coverstitch machine for stretchy fabrics.

Marion
  •  

Paulie

Wow Heidemarie, that looks awesome! 

I did pretty good at some straight stitch sewing at one time, but that zigzag stitching, it's a whole other level of sewing skill.

It looks great with that skirt. 
  •  

LoriDee

Great job!
I have zero sewing skills, except for minor repairs. So I am in awe of what others can do. That is a beautiful top. Thanks for sharing!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •