Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mammograms for MTFs

Started by ChrissyRyan, January 16, 2024, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah B

Quote from: Courtney G on January 16, 2024, 02:21:39 PMI had my annual wellness exam last month and asked my doc if I should get a mammogram, but he didn't suggest it. He did give me a manual exam (same thing last year). I dread going, since I present male, but I feel like I need to soon. My breasts have been growing for a little over 2 years. There's a rule of thumb for when to get your first exam, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.

I cringed when I read what happened.  I don't know what to say here.  To me, I can understand having an annual examination.

However, you are a female and having a male doctor examine your breasts and a C cup at that, I'm sorry this makes my blood boil to put it mildly.

I know you dread going as a male and you mentioned you need to do something about it, I hope you do.

All I see is a female in your avatar,  In other words you would present to the world as a wonderful lady.

Best wishes for the future
Sarah B

Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Courtney G

Courtney G

Quote from: Sarah B on January 18, 2024, 02:25:54 AMI cringed when I read what happened.  I don't know what to say here.  To me, I can understand having an annual examination.

However, you are a female and having a male doctor examine your breasts and a C cup at that, I'm sorry this makes my blood boil to put it mildly.

I know you dread going as a male and you mentioned you need to do something about it, I hope you do.

All I see is a female in your avatar,  In other words you would present to the world as a wonderful lady.

Thank you, Sarah, for the support and the kind words. I honestly didn't mind the exam too much. He did the same last year: I just laid on my back and he quickly and gently palpated around each breast. I've been seeing him for many years, so I was as comfortable as I could be. That said, I feel that maybe I should switch to a female doc...I'm just not sure right now.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

Jessica_K

When I changed my gender marker on my NHS records I automatically got picked up by the national screening program and currently  have had 1 mammogram in Aug 2022, first and last under that system as it stops at 71, though 1 am still entitled to one every 3 years I will now have to request it manually. My next one will be next year but I will have to ask for it.

I too had the questioning as to why I do not have any records of previous ones and was it my first one. I explained I was a transgender woman, she was both surprised, kind and helpful. I did not find it too unpleasant and not as bad as Shirls always goes on about. She calls them squashagrams then again she is a big lady. I was only a B/C cup at the time

I was all clear, and I do check myself regularly. We have the same risks as any other woman so it is important that it is checked. I am too old to be screened for cervical cancer by a smear test that ends at 64, so I have been spared the embarrassment of declining that.

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Mariah on January 16, 2024, 02:13:49 PMI delayed for a year at getting my first one, but have ever since gotten one every year since then. Last one occurring yesterday. Hugs
Mariah

Mariah,

I hope you also get a letter from the radiologist group (or whereber they did the mammogram) with an all clear message for you. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

D'Amalie

I've had female GPs for the last 15 or so years.  Vastly preferred!  Always caring and professional.  Not looking forward to the squashograms.  But having seen the ravages of the disease, sign me up!
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Courtney G

I'm feeling that I should switch to a female. This year, he didn't even check my prostate. I'm thinking he understands that it's pretty much a nonissue these days.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

ChrissyRyan

It was calming to see the mammogram results letter saying that there is no signs of breast cancer.  It did say that the mammogram does not detect everything, and if you feel any lumps in the future to contact your doctor.  I think that last part is boilerplate stated to anyone with good results but it is good advice.  If something that indicated breast cancer was seen from the mammogram I would not be writing this post and would be very nervous.  Thankfully, this was not the case.

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

D'Amalie

So glad for you!  Keep on top of it.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

RobynTx

I have had one every year for the last four years.  I actually go in a few weeks for another one.  I have a strong family history of cancer so it's yearly for me.  I had a male cousin die from breast cancer several years ago so I try to keep up on exams.

As for the pain I found it depends on which part of your cycle you are on when the exam happens.  I've had painful mammograms and non-painful ones.

As a tip do not wear deodorant to the exam.  It gives a false positive or something like that. 

•  

Jessica_K

Fantastic to know it all went well Chrissy. Xxx

Every girl should check themselves for any lumps or unusual changes at least once a week, daily even as part of getting dressed/undressed routine. It only takes a min at most.

I prefer seeing a female GP and my assigned GP is female, but we do not aways have a choice. My next appointment about cholesterol is Thursday with a male doc. But I would refuse to see a male doc for anything more than a simple review.

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•