Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Female hobbies

Started by Stéphanie.FR, January 16, 2024, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D'Amalie

I never picked up that habit!  Picking up old cars?  Tha'ts another story.  I do enjoy the odd online session of Halo with my eldest son after all is said.  I think its just a good way to spend time with him if he can't make it over to the house.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Sarah B

I forgot to add to the list of female hobbies that I like and they are, watching romantic dramas and chic flicks.

Kind regards to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Colorado Girl

Most of my hobbies are of the outdoor variety...hiking, camping, exploring...things enjoyed by men and women, so I don't foresee any major changes there. I'm also an avid writer, and I find that it's really rewarding (and fun) to write as a woman and from a woman's perspective - so THAT'S been a wonderful change!
  •  

davina61

Hot rodding and drag racing still is my favourite closely followed by cooking. Playing percussion as well so nothing you could describe as female only, sewing is a bit messy but I did some knitting when I was in my early teens. Mums fault as she is a serial knitter!! 
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Miharu Barbie

Hello.

Funny question. Matters of pre-transition and post-transition are mostly murky. A lot has happened over these 25 years since transition.

Honestly, hobbies and pastimes have naturally come and gone. Some were interesting to 5 year old Miharu, while others were interesting to 30 year old Miharu.

I've been a soldier, I've been a truck mechanic, I've been an accountant.

It's too hard to pin my hobbies and interests on gender specifically.

I've married twice, widowed once. I've dated nurses, teachers, programmers and more. I used to cook a lot until I married a chef 17 years ago. I was an avid scuba diver until I moved to Oregon. (It's too cold!)

I was a competitive pool player for 10 years until I was injured. I play guitar every day. I've read books ravenously all of my life. I collect and shoot firearms. I'm a lifelong photographer. I meditate every day.

I used to bicycle, hike, garden.  The list of interests over the years is very long, and hobbies come and go with moves from one state to another, or one relationship to another, or one occupation to another, or one decade to another.

As far as I can tell, all of my hobbies (past and present) have been girly because I'm so dang girly.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

🥰
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Nadine Spirit

I've always done a bit of both, male and female hobbies. My transition really hasn't changed much. Though I don't duck hunt like I used to. It is way too physical these days. Maybe that's the E, maybe that's my age.....hmmm?

LoriDee

I grew up in a house full of testosterone. As a family did a lot of outdoorsy stuff: fishing, hiking, camping, and hunting. I grew up in a small town in the California desert (Hinkley, CA) where we had a ranch and raised rabbits commercially. I used to pick up pretty rocks and bring them home. I enjoyed rock hounding so much that I began to learn what these stones were called and how to find more! That eventually led me to my current hobby of gold prospecting. Age and injuries are catching up with me, so I am less able to do the back-breaking labor of mining and spend more time rock-hounding.

Recently, I purchased a couple of rock tumblers and have started polishing stones. I am also teaching myself how to make wire-wrap jewelry. Then I can put those polished stones to good use. I don't really see these as gender-specific, but I do notice that I am enjoying less physically strenuous activities for whatever reason.

My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Senkusha

My really, really love creative hobbies.  Especially writing, but role playing, brewing mead, writing webpage code, I still like various card games, Canasta being one of my favorites, rocking out to music, 80s Pop and Rock, and J-POP.  Some hobbies that I'd like to get into if I ever get the time and money are beading (with semiprecious stones), COSplay, amateur radio (again), and herbalism.
  •  

FreyaLinBella

I was really into drawing in high school. That led me to media design and animation in college. One of my instructors worked for Disney. She did a lot of the storyboards for Fern Gully, worked on Tron, The Incredibles, etc. We had Brad Bird as a guest speaker once, he directed The Iron Giant, it's always been one of my favorite movies. He also did Ratatouille and The Incredibles. Meeting him was a pleasure, I had a great conversation with him. One of the bigger moments of my life.

I changed gears quite a bit in my 20's, moved into metal fab which later became a hobby. I also picked up a lot of carpentry and design skills which have piqued my interest in DIY of all kinds. Which satisfies my creative needs.

I've always enjoyed cooking and baking. I didn't have much adult presence in my childhood so it kinda evolved from there. I'm the cook of the house now–conversely my fiancé can barely boil water so that worked out in a way.

Years back I did weekly 3 gun shoots. Work schedule doesn't allow it anymore. Saved a lot of money when I stopped but I do miss it. I'll do it again someday. Having more members of the pride community partaking in firearms related hobbies could introduce more inclusion and acceptance into that crowd. Which would be a big step in the right direction.

I also enjoy backpacking, arrowhead hunting, guitar, and model kits. Oh, I recently got into painting again! Hadn't touched paints since high school. Having more adult perspective inspired me.

I've often feared dropping things I enjoy for the sake of being accepted as female. That fear dissipated back when I started working with various tradeswomen. Seeing how they spend their free time changed my perspective on everything. I'd like to think if I was assigned female at birth, I would've picked up these hobbies anyways. I refuse to punish myself to appease others. It's who I am.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jessica_K

I have a variety of hobbies. Most I have had from before transition.

HiFi: Designing, repairing and making valve (vacuum tube) audio amps. Listening to music on the highest of fidelity on vinyl (called records in my day)

Watching chick flicks, love stories, Rugby, F1 motor racing, and baseball. (Not soccer)

Cooking. Shopping if I have any money. Collecting Kate Spade Jewellery and handbags

Going to art galleries  and collecting art.

Some hobbies I have currently stopped doing: Photography and fishing.

Hugs
Jessica
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

ChrissyRyan

Does painting your fingernails count as a female hobby?  If so, I guess this counts for me.  If not, it is just a beauty routine I guess.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

LoriDee

<raises hand> oooh oooh, sign me up for that one!

I love doing my nails. But I spend so much time digging gravel, picking up rocks, washing rocks, grinding rocks, polishing rocks, ... I can't keep a manicure to save my life.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

ChrissyRyan

I feel uber feminine today.  Got a manicure and my nails are very pretty.  I also got a facial, sauna session, and a delightful professional makeup session yesterday.  While the makeup is long gone, my nails are still pretty.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jessica_K

Oh I do love having a manicure and lovely painted nails. I had mine done last week after several months of being without as they got baddly damaged when working of amps and getting shows ready. They needed to grow out the damage.

They are still way too short specially thumbs but they will grow now with the protection of the gel.

Yes looking after nails is a female hobby, and as summer comes along, painted toes too.

Hugs
Jessica
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

ChrissyRyan

I have not had any pedicure experience.  I guess I have not acquired a desire for that.
Not yet.

Chrissy
  •  

SoupSarah

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on March 17, 2024, 01:43:52 PMDoes painting your fingernails count as a female hobby?  If so, I guess this counts for me.  If not, it is just a beauty routine I guess.

Chrissy

No, painting fingernails is not a hobby.. I am also not going to tell any man that he cannot have his fingernails painted either (as I quite like a man with polish on).. so neither is it a hobby or female ..  in fact what defines a 'female' hobby - smacks of misogyny to me.. designating what hobbies women are capable of doing??.. yuck
I raised my daughter to play with whatever toys she wanted and do whatever hobbies she wanted to do (you want chemistry sets, go ahead, toy guns, you got it.. you want dolls, okay no problem..play football, dance. great ) I never wanted her to be bashed by gender controlled societal expectations. Her hobbies are varied and she is an avid FPS gamer. I say go girl. 

So please, can someone tell me what exactly is a female hobby and I will happily show you a man who gets enjoyment from that activity
Beware the darkness of dragons, Beware the stalker of dreams, Beware the talons of power and fire, Beware one who is not what she seems.
  •  

Yvanektara

I don't know if it's specifically a "female hobby," but I play a lyre. When the weather is temperate I'd hike along the river trail, and when I stop to rest, I'd take out my lyre and play it. The strings are softer than a guitar's, soothing, sometimes thought of as fairy-like. It's helpful when I want to get into a meditative mood.

One of the most fulfilling passtimes has been tutoring students needing help, often by request by teachers and professors. I've done it with Algebra, English Composition, Classical Languages, and Philosophy.

Apart from that, I write and often include classical texts that I translate myself (I started with Latin in 1971, then Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew in 1976, then added Attic Greek, Aramaic, and other language studies to that since). One article of mine, published in a magazine in 1991, fetched a letter from a Greek scholar who had become intrigued with something I wrote about Hebrew translation. She sent back a heavily underlined copy of my article and asked for more information. I smiled. If I get a scholar's mind spinning like that, I know I've done my job.

•