Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Flying

Started by ClaireBlooming, January 16, 2024, 05:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClaireBlooming

Any aviators/aviatrixes?  We had an aviation thread on here but it may have been a casualty of the crash.

Been flying for almost 30 years, I'm flying widebodies at a legacy airline now.  I've also gotten back into GA.  I fly a 182 regularly and I'm getting my helicopter add-on, which was always a lifelong goal of mine.  Next stop after I financially recover from the helicopter rating  ;D will be a taildragger endorsement.

It's amazing how many gender-diverse people I've met that are in aviation.  Back in the old IRC days, when our computers ran off of steam power, mentioning aviation could turn a trans chat room into a hangar flying session.  In fact, the first trans woman I ever met was a helicopter CFI. 

--Claire
  •  

BlueJaye

I was a student pilot several years ago. I ended up quitting due to financial constraints. But I am currently part of an aviation startup that I might be saying more about in the near future.
  •  

D'Amalie

I too began flight school but found it a richer citizen's game.  Now my health precludes trying again.

Good luck with the venture.  Find your balance and keep on keeping on!
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Donica

I got my PPL back in 1988. My time consist mostly in Cessna 152's, 172's, Piper PA-28's, and recently a PA-18 Super Cub, that a dear friend owns. You're not catching me at my best in this photo. This was 2 weeks post-op from GCS revision.

A fellow lady with wings.
Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

maledrafty

Quote from: BlueJaye on January 16, 2024, 06:34:09 PMI was a student pilot several years ago. I ended up quitting due to financial constraints. But I am currently part of an aviation startup that I might be saying more about in the near future. doodle baseball
Can you introduce the aviation startup you are working on in detail? I'm really curious about that

Lori Dee

@maledrafty

Hello maledrafty,

I'm Lori Dee. Welcome to Susan's Place!

Looks like you just registered today and this is one of your first posts. Thank you for joining the discussion!

We strive to make this a safe place to find information and to share your thoughts and comments. We all come from different backgrounds and represent a wide range of experiences. No matter who you may be, you are always welcome at Susan's Place.

We would like to get to know you. Once you feel comfortable here, please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself and tell us something about you.

Please review the links at the end of this message, they include information that will help you navigate the site and use the available features. When you reach 15 posts, you will be able to send and reply to private messages and you will also be able to add an avatar to your profile. Until then if you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me at  LoriDee605@outlook.com

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!

~ Lori Dee

Helpful links to information that you should read

And now I will step aside so you can get an answer to your question.

@Sarah B
@Northern Star Girl

My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Sarah B

Hello maledrafty

My name is Sarah B and I would also like to formally, Welcome you to Susan's Place!

I see that other members of Susan's have also welcomed you as well.  Other than your interest in flying, what brings you to Susan's?

Once you feel comfortable here, it would be appreciated if you add a little bit more about yourself in the other forums and threads.  I would appreciate it very much as, I'm always interested in learning something new about new members

In addition members of Susan's will more than likely will discuss problems or issues that are similar to yours as most have experienced these issues as well.

Take care and all the best for the future.

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!
Sarah B
Offical Greeter
@LoriDee
@Northern Star Girl
@maledrafty
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
May 1990 Three surgery letters.
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

KathyLauren

I just discovered this thread.  I joined the RCAF (except it wasn't "royal" back then) when I was in university.  I trained as a pilot and then a flying instructor.  I totally loved the flying and especially the instructing.  I was in the air force for 8 years in all.

But I wasn't cut out for military life.  It would be many decades in the future before I figured out why.  I got my civilian commercial pilot's license when I got out, but there were unemployed pilots sweeping hangar floors at the time, so I went with my Plan B and got into IT, another career that attracts trans people.  The attraction is likely the same: machines don't judge.

I kept up my medical for a few years, but found that I was renting a Cherokee every three months just to stay current enough that I could rent it again three months later.  That seemed a bit pointless.  I still love to talk about flying, though.  :D

Quote from: ClaireBlooming on January 16, 2024, 05:17:02 PMBack in the old IRC days, when our computers ran off of steam power, mentioning aviation could turn a trans chat room into a hangar flying session.

LOL.  That is still true, as our long-suffering host discovered on a trans Zoom meeting last Saturday!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

BlueJaye

Quote from: maledrafty on June 10, 2024, 09:55:34 PMCan you introduce the aviation startup you are working on in detail? I'm really curious about that
No, we are still fundraising and it would be risky to say much more about it.