Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Feels weird wearing a wig...

Started by amybenedict, February 01, 2011, 06:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jillieann Rose

Lacey some of bio-girls have to wear wigs too.
My wife even has the blading pattern.
If you just act natural about it I don't think it will be a real problem in the women's locker room.
If anyone ask just say, "It runs in the family."

But please Lacey get out of the men's locker room.
For your own health that is.
Hugs,
Jillieann
  •  

straycat

I agree the wigs can be a pain, especially if you are dancing with a guy who puts his arm around your neck, touching the wig, which begins sliding back and off your head and you're trying to surreptitiously pull it back into place without drawing attention ...
  •  

MarinaM

I just had a wig breakthrough!

I didn't want to take it off this morning - I have learned to love the wig.
  •  

Lacey Lynne

Quote from: MarinaM on February 12, 2011, 12:59:35 PM
I just had a wig breakthrough!

I didn't want to take it off this morning - I have learned to love the wig.

Marina:

The wig you have on is great!  Where did you get it, if I may kindly as you?  Thanks!

:)   Lacey
Believe.  Persist.  Arrive.    :D

Julie Vu (Princess Joules) Rocks!  "Hi, Sunshine Sparkle Faces!" she says!
  •  

MarinaM

Quote from: Lacey Lynne on February 12, 2011, 02:20:46 PM
Marina:

The wig you have on is great!  Where did you get it, if I may kindly as you?  Thanks!

:)   Lacey
I visit a lovely asian couple that run a beauty salon in the neighborhood where I grew up. I spent a couple hours in the store, went through five different styles, discussed one that would frame the face, curl around the neck, de-accentuate my "Pam Grier" jaw. I ended up with this one.

I believe the brand is Oscar K (not the best, I'm afraid): the caveat: it's shiny, not for those that are way, way, way, picky about their hair. If you like to keep your hair very neat it will betray you with it's unreal barbie-like tidiness. I just let it go all over, get it in my face, whatever. I look oddly punk / prom from time to time.

It was only thirty dollars (cheap wig= not for everybody).
  •  

Samantha_Marie

I can't do wigs either. I really wish I could because I pass really well in one but idk, just haven't put one on that I like yet.

Letting my hair grow in the meantime and I have an amazing hat collection now! Up to 26 different hats for any occasion!

justmeinoz

I was feeling particularly dysphoric this morning, after a work colleague's send-off last night where all the women were dressed up and I was in drab, so I strapped my tits on, put on the make up and  rode the motorcycle  down to Melbourne to go shopping in Chapel Street. (Top retail strip in Melb, and there are no "normal people" there either. :o )

I ended up buying two wigs, one a full bob tyle, and the other a fringe and sides. Both are a really close match to my current hair colour, and look good.  I am wearing the half one now as it is really comfortable and actually keeps my own unruly hair under control.  It attaches with 3 toupe' clips and stayed on, unmoved through three motorcycle helmet removals, which was my real worry.  Once I had it on, I don't believe anyone read me as other than an "aging bikie mole"  :laugh:

It was recommended that I not worry about keeping them completely clean,as this would get rid of the shiny, plastic look.  Dry shampoo spray is apparently good for this too.   if I have trouble with keeping them on, I was also advised to try the special double-sided wig tape along the front.

Have fun! Sandra.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Stephe

Yes wigs were my last hurdle to going full time/female mode. I had gotten to where I was really feminine/andro but couldn't figure out the whole hair thing. I have mega MPB and have for 25 years so no other realistic option for me. I was wearing cute caps but wasn't very convincing. The few wigs I had tried over the years were all uncomfortable and itchy, plus would give me a headache when worn for a long time. I thought I would never be able to do this..

I finally found a brand that fits my head and is comfortable. It took a while of trying different styles and colors before I found one that suits how I want to look. Sure in hot weather they are hot but really not as bad as a cap is (which I wore for years as I was transitioning during my andro look days) so just got used to that part of it. I think your body acclimates to them?  I also found they look better after they are used some so I break one in around the house. I rotate them around, have one I use when out in public and then save the ones when they get worn out frizzy looking for doing yard work or lounging around the house etc to make the "nice" one last longer. These I use last about 1-2 months in "public use" everyday and cost about $65 when they are on sale. I guess these are "disposable" type :P I buy like 6 or so when they have a 30% off sale from the web site I get them from so shipping is free too. Maybe it's not perfect but nether am I so at some point we just have to accept this is good enough. I really feel other parts of me are more clockable than my hair and I never feel self conscious about that part of me. Do I wish I had real hair? Of course but I also wish I had been born female and am working past that too!
  •  

LifeInNeon

My MPB is very, very early, compared to photos from HS. But I was born with a hairline that would barely pass. Still, I'm growing it out to chin length at least.

The problem I am having is coming up with a professional guy look at the in-between length I am dealing with right now.
  •  

Vicky

During my CD days I ended up with about 20 wigs, but now that I am transitioning, I only use about 3 of them, all in the same color.  (See avatar pic) I do look very pretty with the wigs, and am basically happy, because my own hair is so darn fine and straight that its hard to do much with, and I think I have hit final length at just the bottom of the collar.  I recently did get an "integrating hair piece" that is a wiglet with wide spaces in it to pull your own hair through, and it feels much different from any other wigs that I have ever used.  I get so much of my own hair through it that its hard to take off.  Some night I may even try sleeping with it on.  The one I have is by Revlon and is just the barest shade lighter than my own hair, so it looks like I have more highlights than I usually do, and the gray strands I naturally have just blend in. I don't have a picture of me in it yet since its quite new, but when I get one I'll show off.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

riley2024

It is okay to wear a wig, it is a fashion and people understand that. Wearing a wig is like wearing a hat. And human hair wigs will make you feel better for it is just like your hair.
  •