Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

suggestions on a skirts

Started by Scarlett Rose, January 29, 2024, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlett Rose

Howdy!
My DIL wants to buy me a couple of skirts, since I don't have any. What type of skirts/color/pattern/length etc would you suggest as wardrobe stables? I'm guessing black for one of them.

FYI, I'm 6'1" my femme measurements are roughly  47 39 47
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

KathyLauren

I love wearing skirts!

I like to choose age-appropriate skirts (I'm 69), so nothing above the knee.  I have skirts from just below the kneecap to ankle length.  The longer ones are more appropriate for formal-ish occasions like going to the theatre, and the shorter ones for casual summer wear.  When I went for my GCS, I knew I would have to wear a skirt on the way home, but it was winter, so I wore a long skirt for warmth, with knee socks.

Personally, I like swishy, colourful skirts, but I do have a couple of plain pencil skirts.  Any wardrobe should have a couple of black skirts: a long one for formal wear (I wore one to a funeral once) and a shorter one for other occasions.

Don't forget that a slip is required unless the skirt is lined.  A short one to reduce the transparency of lightweight summer skirts, and a longer one for warmth under longer skirts (such as when I made that winter trip).
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate

Scarlett Rose

I guess I should have mentioned I'm 60. Most of the places we are going to are drag bars but I want to feel natural,
I appreciate the advice. I don't go out "dressed" other than that although I do wear leggings and tops made for women daily

I didn't even think about a slip! that's helpful ♥
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I feel more comfortable and look better (I think I look better) when wearing A-line skirts.  I still like the preppy look but have broadened my fashion taste over time.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Paulie

I was going to suggest a denim skirt for one of our choices for a nice casual outfit.  I have multiple denim skirts in different lengths and rises.  Some, kind of on the dressy side but mostly denim is a casual look.

I guess if you're mostly going to drag bars you'll want something more on the dressy side.  I think Chrissy's advice about the A-line skirt is worth looking into. Maybe a pleated A-line denim skirt. I have a couple of these and they are on the dressy side for denim. 

Paulie.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I like skirts that "flow" a bit.  I also like it when I turn my head and I can feel my hair move too.  All of that is affirming to me.  I know this is microminutia but I just do enjoy these little things. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Maid Marion

Think of how it will match with the rest of your outfit.

Pleats and light colors add volume.

A black pencil skirt decreases it.  GGs with wide hips like black pencil skirts because of this effect.

If you are going to drag bars you may as well wear heels if you want to!
But wedges are much more practical than stilletos. 

When I was in rehab ward a doctor confided to me that all the concerns about falling didn't apply to me. 
I was small and light enough that broken bones weren't likely.
  •