Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A day in the life of Jessica_k

Started by Jessica_K, January 02, 2024, 04:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_K

As I hope most here know I am not an America, I am a proud British woman. But.

I love baseball. I have been a baseball fan since I watched my first live match in 1978. Doing the "math" thats 46 years. In the early days it was hard to find out what was happening, but one newspaper gave the previous day scores in the sports section.

Then one of the TV channels (before cable / satallite) decided it could cheaply fill its late night slot with a baseball match. I either watched it live, blearily eyed the next day through lack of sleep, or if I had some tape video recorded it.

Then in 2002 MLB streamed its first live matches and I watched it on a tiny laptop screen where you could make out the pitcher has pitched and the batter swing then relied on the camera to show what happened as the ball was invisible.

Now I watch it in HD on the TV steamed by MLB with such amazing clarity that it could be local. I do not stay up all night like old but watch "afternoon" matches that I see starting from 6-9pm UK and finishing at reasonable time to go to bed.

So why have I mentioned all this, apart from it obviously being part of my like, and why have I not mentioned the team I support?

Well I am of a real diehard bred that stays with a team regardless of how good or bad a season is.

I know there are continuously poor teams in each league and their supporters are generally local and good too to support the local team. But have no allegiance to any team except going back to that first match in 1978.

That first match made an un-breaking bond between me and the team. It was at Fenway and against the Yankees and I have been a Red Sox fan ever since.

Though thick and thin, waiting for the first World Series win for near 100 years in 2002 (and me supporting them for 24 years at that point) to now bottom of the division last year,  losing seasons for the last 2 years and even though 2024 has just started heading that way again. But like a local Boston supporter and as a member of the Red Sox nation. I will continue to support them for ever.

Jessica xxx

PS K, with family in Florida is a Rays supporter!!!! Another reason to leave her? Only joking of course

The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•