Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Migraines

Started by Susan, February 13, 2024, 07:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

Earlier today, I experienced something quite unusual while showering: about a dozen brilliant white lights, resembling sparks, suddenly started flying around my head.

The medical term for this is photopsia, and given my history with migraines, I'm inclined to think there's a connection, likely a new migraine aura, though I sincerely hope this isn't an indication they're worsening.

Typically, my migraines manifest as intense pain, extreme light sensitivity, nausea, and visual disturbances characterized by dark, pulsing, shadowy zigzags in my vision.

So, seeing brilliant sparks this time was entirely new and quite unexpected.

They were pretty though.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Maid Marion

Hi Susan,

When I get really stressed out I have ocular migraines.  A disturbance in the vision of one eye. 
I had one a couple weeks ago from changing over my online health insurance account from one provider to another. Fortunately there were not major issues and I only had one episode.

Marion
  •  

BlueJaye

That sounds very frightening.
  •  

imallie

Sorry to hear, Susan!

As someone who has 12-14 hours of migraines daily (plus one cluster headache each night for good luck) I actually do not experience any aura, and never have. Only about 20% of migraine sufferers actually do get some form of aura.

From what I understand, though, the presence of an aura doesn't indication worsening, just like if you suddenly are getting your migraines without aura means they're improving. The only indication is that any change in a migraine routine (if you have one) is normally a positive one.  But that's only if you have a very defined pattern/schedule.

Regardless of all that, sorry you have to deal with any of this, and hope you're feeling better this evening.

Love,
Allie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Susan

Jessica_K

Migraine can effect the eyes, I have never had one myself, but my granddaughter gets them and even she will go totally blind for the length of the attack

First time that happend was terrifying

Hugs
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

big kim

Had visual migraine due to lack of sleep. I had like a kaleidoscope of lights at the corner of my vision for several minutes after 3 hours sleep. Had ordinary migraine a lot as a young kid up to 11ish as did my sister 2 years younger.
  •  

Gina P

Quote from: big kim on February 14, 2024, 05:19:23 AMHad visual migraine due to lack of sleep. I had like a kaleidoscope of lights at the corner of my vision for several minutes after 3 hours sleep. Had ordinary migraine a lot as a young kid up to 11ish as did my sister 2 years younger.
I get them several times a month. Usually start out as a small spot of distortion that spreads in a circle, shimmering like in appearance. Effects both eyes and last less than 30 min. It usually spreads till it clears my field of vision. It can make it very difficult to drive and experts recommend parking till its over. I have no pain with it and it doesn't pre-curse a normal migraine. 
Gina
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Gina P on February 14, 2024, 05:37:08 AMI get them several times a month. Usually start out as a small spot of distortion that spreads in a circle, shimmering like in appearance. Effects both eyes and last less than 30 min. It usually spreads till it clears my field of vision. It can make it very difficult to drive and experts recommend parking till its over. I have no pain with it and it doesn't pre-curse a normal migraine.
Gina

I get these occasionally as well, but it has been several months since my last one. Mine seem to be triggered by certain food combinations, or flashing lights. Although I can still see during the 'attack', I can't read anything.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I am sorry Susan you have these terrible headaches.
Also to everyone else who suffers from this.

Hugs,

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Arch

I feel bad for anyone who has migraines. I have a friend (cisgender) whose migraines are very nasty, but I've never asked her whether she has any of the pretty visual effects. Pre-transition, I had ONLY the visual effects (no actual headaches) when I was in perimenopause, so I started to become curious about hormones and menopause but never followed up and did any reading. Now you've got me wondering whether my friend's symptoms will change when she reaches that point in her life--and whether anyone has done research on trans people and migraines. It could be very illuminating for everyone.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •