Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Does anyone look for outdated language in the forum topics?

Started by Jenn104, January 12, 2024, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenn104

QuoteThe site might as well look old school, sporting terms like "Non-op", "transsexual", and arguably "facial feminization" on its landing page. FFS is Gender Affirming Facial Surgery in WPATH 8 if you wonder why I'd include it.

I put that in someone's blog. I'd like to offer this as a suggestion or at least food for thought. Do the mods look at old topics names? can they be updated? Is a topic using the word Non-op valuable if it hasn't been used in 15 years? Pardon but I thought a lot of transmasculine and transfeminine folx believe 'transsexual' is offense. FFS is GAFS to everyone I know in their twenties. Arguably there could be a few more like those. YMMV.

If susans wants to be younger, maybe it needs a good scrub.

~Jenn

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Iztaccihuatl

Maybe it's a sign of my age (yes, I am outing myself here), but I have never seen the GAFS acronym before. I guess I learned something new!

Hugs,

Heidemarie
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on January 12, 2024, 04:36:05 PMMaybe it's a sign of my age (yes, I am outing myself here), but I have never seen the GAFS acronym before. I guess I learned something new!

Hugs,

Heidemarie

Gender affirming facial surgery is the language the 20somethings I work with use. Likewise, it is gender affirming surgery to some, not gender corrective surgery. The logic is easy. I am a woman. I hope to one day have surgery that confirms who I am, not surgery that corrrects who I am. Your feelings may vary.

I -again- offer the language as a consideration for mods.

~Jenn
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jessica_K

History is history. Without the crash very few people would have seen these old 5 years ago posts but we have gone back in time. 2019 posts are shown as new and the language is the consequence.

Whitewashing history is all becoming universal. It is better to laugh at the ancient names and culture then for it not exits and someone invent it again. One should learn from history and then nor repeat it

Hugs
Jessica
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Karen_A

Quote from: Jenn104 on January 12, 2024, 04:31:30 PMI put that in someone's blog. I'd like to offer this as a suggestion or at least food for thought. Do the mods look at old topics names? can they be updated? Is a topic using the word Non-op valuable if it hasn't been used in 15 years? Pardon but I thought a lot of transmasculine and transfeminine folx believe 'transsexual' is offense. FFS is GAFS to everyone I know in their twenties. Arguably there could be a few more like those. YMMV.

I did not change gender, I changed sex.

I had FFS not GAFS ( Whatever that is ... maybe Gender Affirmation Facial Surgery?) done by the doctor who invented it.

Enforcing such political correctness would cause cause significant problems here IMO...

IMO, while each generation has some of it's own "lingo" and sensibilities, no generation should try to enforce those on others. Our lived experience is our lived experience,  even if it does not comport with the latest trends.

- Karen

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Devlyn

Karen_A

Quote from: Jenn104 on January 12, 2024, 05:22:36 PMI hope to one day have surgery that confirms who I am, not surgery that corrrects who I am.

It is all point of view I guess.

I did not need surgery to confirm who I am... I needed it to correct (as much as possible) the physical problem I was born with. I did not need GCS or GAS but had what I needed - SRS which was aimed at correcting a physical issue I had.

- Karen
  •  

Jenn104

I can't say I disagree with FFS vs GAFS. I've had the discussion with trans-folx half my age. Personally, I think its an interesting discussion in generational differences and how to get a little younger here.  One hundred percent I get it smacks of political correctness. Balance that with the forum does ban words. Some words time out and become offensive. Not just in trans* space, in any space.

Can anyone defend "non-op", which is a sub-forum name, as a relevent term? I am curious.
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Karen_A

Quote from: Jenn104 on January 12, 2024, 07:18:15 PMCan anyone defend "non-op", which is a sub-forum name, as a relevent term? I am curious.

I can.

While if someone has had surgery or intends to, is no ones business but their own, the different paths have differences which can sometimes be pretty significant in some aspect of one's life long term, and is best to be discussed in context of the path they are on with others who have walked it.

Relationships can obviously  be one of those areas.

No path is more correct or better than any other, but there are practical differences.

- Karen
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Devlyn

D'Amalie

I don't go looking for outdated language.  I may find it, but I'm not having nightmares over it.  I cringe at some older terms.  Yet the history reflected in the books of the early 20 century mayn't be relevant today any more than blogs 5 years ago are now.  It is of course important to be gentle in communicaitons and avoid hateful speech.  We'll all make mistakes and correct them.  Its the human condition.
________________________________________________________________________________________ 

The language, vocabulary and culturally reflexive use thereof shouldn't be be arbitratrily canceled.  Lets face it sisters.  The majority on this forum, at least the ones I see active, most of us have lived through interesting times.  Just reaching a level of acceptance as women of any shade, is FANTASTIC!  The words for procedures don't really matter, do they?  As long as we get the reusults we want, FFS vs GAFS is moot.  I can see the language evolving, but it's natural.  Don't worry about the words of the past.  Look forward.  Our lives are too very short.  Use new words if not hurtful but don't worry about changing words used in the past.

FFS is the same thing as GAFS.  Use of the acronym will change with time as evolution of all languages and vocabulary does with common usage.  I grant you, transexual isn't a pleasant word to me but I'm not sure I like any of the others.  I'm a person. 

I identify as a person.  Just because I have boobs and a great bottom?  Call me a woman.  I'm okay with that.   
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •