Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Forum Greeting Discussion

Started by Tills, February 29, 2024, 12:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tills

Personally I find the greeting way over the top, especially the multiple links and colours which jazz my eyes. I've never seen anything like it on any internet forum.

A simple one sentence line in normal font saying hi and that we're here to answer any queries would suffice perfectly adequately. People aren't stupid.

The greeting as it currently stands is overbearing and is too 'Gatekeepery'

xx
Just trying to help this place to keep people.

LoriDee

@Tills

I respect your opinion but I think you are missing the point of the Official Greeting. Yes, it is to welcome a new member and help them feel like this is a safe place where they can be comfortable. And yes, that could be done, although not very well, with a one-line "howdy".

What you are missing is that the site has rules and policies and a lot of information. This can be overwhelming for some people. We don't want them to get lost and we want to be sure they can find the information they seek while following the rules. We cannot provide all of that information in a one-line "hello". Thus we have many links, some are color-coded because they are important and/or popular. Also, note that the welcome greeting is a one-time posting. We do not greet members after every post. Sometimes, more than one of us will be posting at the same time, but that is rare.

I am curious if you are also opposed to links, colors, and banners in our personal signature blocks. Or is it just the greeting in an official capacity?

We are open to suggestions. If you can show me how to incorporate all of that into a simple welcome message, I would love to see what you can do. Thank you for helping Susan's be a warm and welcoming place for all of us.

Lori Dee
Official Greeter
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

Mariah

You are doing a good job and what you can already. Some people are always going to complain no matter what one does or receives. One thing I have always tried to do with a welcome message in addition to the links was to try and say something as a response to their first message. Over the years many moderators have gotten burned out in part because of how triggering and hard being a moderator is. This is another reason why the official greater position was created originally. This allows one to get there feet wet and help the site without some of the weight of the issues some bring to the forums.

Keep the good work up. The help of both of you is invaluable and I'm thankful you both stepped up to do it. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator

LoriDee

I know what you mean about how tough moderating can be. I was a group moderator on a social media site. The group was for humor but had specific rules about what can or can not be posted. After kicking a few people out I started getting attacked personally (they didn't know I was trans) on my personal page. I contacted the owners of the site and resigned as an admin, but the attacks continued. I don't put up with that crap and deleted my account. Haven't been back and don't care. We have a very supportive staff here, so I am happy to help as my time allows.

Thanks Mariah!
Hugs
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

imallie

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That doesn't mean I can't disagree with them, however.

The people that come here are looking for a soft landing. Being greeting warmly and openly, and I think also by knowing that it isn't a wild,Wild West and that it's a safe place because there's a system in place to keep it respectful and all that... its all good.

If someone doesn't like the way they are greeted? I'm not 100% certain they are in the headspace to get a lot out of joining a community out of disparate voices going through very personal journeys.

Doesn't mean they aren't welcomed with open arms, but just maybe that they need to be a bit more focused on what is important and why everyone, including them, is here.

Love,
Allie

Sarah B

Hi Tills

My name is Sarah B and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your constructive criticism.

I may disagree with you, "but I will defend you to the death, your right to say it".

You mentioned in your original post (OP)

Quote from: Tills on February 29, 2024, 12:07:06 AMPersonally I find the greeting way over the top, especially the multiple links and colours which jazz my eyes. I've never seen anything like it on any internet forum.

You need to explain what you mean by "I find the greeting way over the top".  Just saying multiple links is not sufficient.  In this day an age, the internet is full of links and the internet user is aware of those links, so if they wish they can explore further the web site with those links.  Those links in the case of Susan's Place is no different than any other web site, that is, site terms, privacy policy, rules to abide by and of course the others that are listed.

I'm sorry that the colors "jazz your eyes", unfortunately there is no way that I can help you with that problem,  there is as far as I know, no method in which to turn off the colors.  Nobody else who has come to Susan's Place has complained about the colors that they see, only you.

I have seen lots and lots of web sites and all of them are different, if I don't like the way the site is presented to me and I have tried that site for a while. I will pack my bags and go somewhere else.  There are plenty of other sites that will be inviting to me for the subject that I'm interested in.

Quote from: Tills on February 29, 2024, 12:07:06 AMA simple one sentence line in normal font saying hi and that we're here to answer any queries would suffice perfectly adequately. People aren't stupid.

So what font would you suggest, because there is no such thing as a normal font. A one simple sentence like "Hello 'Citizen' we welcome you to our place,  we are here to answer any queries you have.  Here is a link to help you navigate our web site."

Is a complete waste of time, it's not informative, and it's impersonal.  People aren't stupid, they don't need those one liners as you suggest.  Well unfortunately that is not the case.  In software programming one has to account for every possible mistake people make.  Hence an informative once only post for that person.

Quote from: Tills on February 29, 2024, 12:07:06 AMThe greeting as it currently stands is overbearing and is too 'Gatekeepery'

xx
Just trying to help this place to keep people.

If the greeting is as you say "is overbearing", then you need to provide a welcoming page or message to greet new visitors to Susan's Place and in doing so you also need to confer with other members of Susan's to get their feedback.  I look forward to seeing a proposal from you. 

This place is not "Gatekeepery", people are more than welcome to leave at any time they wish and it is of course instant, why?  Press one button on the tab in your browser, marked 'x' and the web page has disappeared in a puff of logic.

It's admirable that you want to help Susan's Place, people come here for information and to meet and talk to like minded people.  People here, like everywhere else come and go for whatever reason.  I'm no different I left Susan's over 12 years ago, originally I came for information and just came back doing some research.  Susan's place does change with the times, like Discord, Susan's has a place there, this is a big change in keeping people.  So an introduction page, is minuscule in the scheme of things.

So, how do you suppose we can solve this problem, that you have presented to us here at Susan's.  I'm prepared to listen to what you have to say and a solution as well.  I look forward to hearing from you on this.

I have to go as I have to go and buy some groceries for tonight's  dinner, take care and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story

Mariah

Tills,

When I orginally joined on Susans Staff. My simple goal was to help people and fill a much needed void that I was seeing on the forums at the time. Plain and simply, I was and am here to help.

One of many things I have learned over time is that how I help each person needs to be adapted to the person that I'm helping or the issue that I happen to be dealing with. I  have also learned that there are certain ways that are better for handling things that I see or know of a better way to handle. I use those methods to communicate things that I have suggestions or recommendations on.

I can understand and relate to bright things being an issue for migraines. This is something I understand all to well with my migraines especially after the TBI I had. This issue pursuits for me even today. I am sorry that you suffer from migraines too.

One thing I have personally chosen to do is to not make others change what they do all because of my health issues, but instead have chosen to alter how I view the site so as to not impact others enjoyment of the site.

I am not saying or even suggesting you do as I do. I am simply giving you the benefit of my experience and sharing that with you. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator