Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My First All-Women's Social!

Started by Colorado Girl, March 03, 2024, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado Girl

A while back I joined a women's social group called "Finding Female Friends Over 50" (or FFF>50) on the MeetUp platform. When I joined, I specifically asked the organizer if transgender women are welcome. She enthusiastically said "yes"! So, today I joined 3 other women for brunch and had an absolutely wonderful time! There was no awkwardness from anyone...we talked about a variety of things, including honest and open questions about my transition - which I was happy to talk about. When it was time to leave, it was hugs all around and commitment to continue having fun together - even apart from the social group format. I'm looking forward to more activities with FFF>50 and making new friends!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Colorado Girl on March 03, 2024, 06:59:48 PMA while back I joined a women's social group called "Finding Female Friends Over 50" (or FFF>50) on the MeetUp platform. When I joined, I specifically asked the organizer if transgender women are welcome. She enthusiastically said "yes"! So, today I joined 3 other women for brunch and had an absolutely wonderful time! There was no awkwardness from anyone...we talked about a variety of things, including honest and open questions about my transition - which I was happy to talk about. When it was time to leave, it was hugs all around and commitment to continue having fun together - even apart from the social group format. I'm looking forward to more activities with FFF>50 and making new friends!

That sounds nice.  Good for you.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Ila

@Colorado Girl , that's so lovely to hear! I've felt a little anxious but very enthusiastic about being able to be in women-only spaces--you probably understand why, the feeling of being concerned about not being accepted but the delight at the idea of being able to simply be a woman among women. I don't think I've come across a proper opportunity to be in an all-women space yet, although I've been in plenty of situations where it was just me and other women.

It's interesting to me that you got open questions about your transition! My experience has been that cis people often seem to be very anxious about saying the wrong thing and therefore don't ask many questions. It sounds like it was a great experience, and I hope you get to repeat it a lot!

tgirlamg

Kudos!!! Well Done Shawna!...

I did the same thing years ago and made some wonderful lifelong friends! I think at that early point in my transition I was even more nervous about how other women would view me than I was about men!

Keep mixing it up with life girl!... That's what all this stuff is really about!!!

Hugs!

Ashley 😀💕🌻
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻

LoriDee

@Ila

Hello Ila,

I'm Lori Dee. Welcome to Susan's Place!

I see that you just registered as a new member. Looks like this is your first post, so please allow me to welcome you officially.

We strive to make this a safe place to find information and to share your thoughts and comments. We all come from different backgrounds and represent a wide range of experiences. No matter who you may be, you are always welcome at Susan's Place.

We would like to get to know you. Once you feel comfortable here, please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself and tell us something about you.

Please review the links at the end of this message, they include information that will help you navigate the site and use the available features. When you reach 15 posts, you will be able to send and reply to private messages and you will also be able to add an avatar to your profile. Until then if you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me at  LoriDee605@outlook.com

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!
~ Lori Dee

Helpful links to information that you should read
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

Colorado Girl

Quote from: Ila on March 06, 2024, 09:04:17 PM@Colorado Girl , that's so lovely to hear! I've felt a little anxious but very enthusiastic about being able to be in women-only spaces--you probably understand why, the feeling of being concerned about not being accepted but the delight at the idea of being able to simply be a woman among women. I don't think I've come across a proper opportunity to be in an all-women space yet, although I've been in plenty of situations where it was just me and other women.

It's interesting to me that you got open questions about your transition! My experience has been that cis people often seem to be very anxious about saying the wrong thing and therefore don't ask many questions. It sounds like it was a great experience, and I hope you get to repeat it a lot!

I think the reason for all the questions was due to the fact that this group is for women over 50 - and let's face it - our generation has always been inquisitive...lol! The other ladies were very respectful and seemed genuinely interested in my life. When we were leaving, one of them said to me, "consider yourself one of us". I almost cried.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I have not been to a women's only public event but I do share times with other women where we each bring an entree or dessert and talk a lot at one of their homes.  Plus I go at times along with two or three other women, usually for lunch but some times later, for a meal out.

Sometimes there is no food involved but instead hiking or shopping.  The shopping is less often now as there is a lot of handy online shopping.  But I do like to shop in person and try things on before buying. I do it less nowadays though.  Probably because I have enough clothes more than for any other reason.

It is all good.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Colorado Girl

So now that I've learned how to add photos, here's a snap from the event (I cropped out the two ladies I couldn't reach to get their permission to post). Angela (the woman with me) and I hit it off right away, and with our very similar and irreverent sense of humor, I can see that we could get into trouble very easily...LOL

LoriDee

And look at that shiny new "Gold Subscriber" Tag!

That's a great pic. Thanks for sharing.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Colorado Girl on March 15, 2024, 06:42:11 PMSo now that I've learned how to add photos, here's a snap from the event (I cropped out the two ladies I couldn't reach to get their permission to post). Angela (the woman with me) and I hit it off right away, and with our very similar and irreverent sense of humor, I can see that we could get into trouble very easily...LOL

I am glad you had a nice time!

Chrissy
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Colorado Girl
Dear Shawna:

I am so very happy to see that terrific picture that you posted as a result
of the Girl Social that you attended.  I wish for you many more happy times
with your Girl Group.

I am glad that the picture posting instructions that I shared with you worked...
...if you have nay future "how to" questions... the Forum is chock-full of
good information, and if still in need, please feel free to message me.

Oh, and yes, your spanking new and shiny Gold Subscriber badge looks very nice
on your profile!!!  Thank you for your support of Susan's Place and the Forum.

HUGS, and more HUGS,

Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •