News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Children will not be prescribed puberty blockers, NHS says

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 13, 2024, 06:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Children will not be prescribed puberty blockers, NHS says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/children-will-not-be-prescribed-puberty-blockers-nhs-says/ar-BB1jLwyN?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4b53c55346f44f3e8305a6c76a885f5f&ei=17

Story by Jane Kirby (12 March 2024)

Children will no longer be prescribed puberty blockers at gender identity clinics, NHS England has confirmed.

The Government said it welcomed the "landmark decision", adding it would help ensure care is based on evidence and is in the "best interests of the child".

Puberty blockers, which pause the physical changes of puberty such as breast development or facial hair, will now only be available to children as part of clinical research trials.

It follows a public consultation on the issue and an interim policy, and comes after NHS England commissioned an independent review in 2020 of gender identity services for children under 18.

That review, led by Dr Hilary Cass, followed a sharp rise in referrals to the Gender Identity Development Service (Gids) run by the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, which is closing at the end of March.

In 2021/22, there were over 5,000 referrals to Gids, compared to just under 250 a decade earlier.

========================================================================

I see the logic here. Too many people want or need this treatment, it's becoming quite expensive, let's stop providing it.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Faith

It seems that in too many cases people are conflating a rise in trans visibility with being 'pushed' into it rather than the likelihood that the reason for the rise is that children, and adults, have been feeling safer and more comfortable in expressing who they are rather than burying it.

'People' are reinforcing the stigma and rather than help children, and adults, they are forcing them back into hiding.  I think we all know where that leads.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Jessica_K

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 13, 2024, 06:31:56 AMI see the logic here. Too many people want or need this treatment, it's becoming quite expensive, let's stop providing it.

I wish that was the case, but the cost is minimal. The so called independent review was commissioned by the gender critical UK equalities and human rights commission requested by a GC minister of equalities and carried out by a GC doctor.

It is always known that that the outcomes of independent reviews and enquiries are pre determined by the choice of chairperson and terms of reference.

This government is transphobic and has actually stated they wish to eliminate us.

Unlike US We do not have a friendly state to move too, we are stuck on this TERF Island.

Jessica
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

LoriDee

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 13, 2024, 06:31:56 AMChildren will no longer be prescribed puberty blockers at gender identity clinics, NHS England has confirmed.

The Government said it welcomed the "landmark decision", adding it would help ensure care is based on evidence and is in the "best interests of the child".

Puberty blockers, which pause the physical changes of puberty such as breast development or facial hair, will now only be available to children as part of clinical research trials.

It is in the "best interests of the child" to not treat their diagnosed Gender Dysphoria, but it is perfectly fine to perform "clinical research" experiments on them.

Who is steering this boat?
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT
  •  

Jessica_K

•  

Moonflower

My wife and I have been so focused on her April 1 prostate surgery, we didn't notice the Cass Review until yesterday. Wow! So upsetting! Infuriating! And the comments on the media reports!!!!

This morning, we started to find rebuttals. So many were well written and sensible! My favorite is at gendergp.com
:icon_wave:
1999 married :icon_archery:
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
Fall 2018 my sweetheart's coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteUnlike US We do not have a friendly state to move too, we are stuck on this TERF Island.

England has the triple storm of:

1. Climate change.

2. It's a falling empire, with many Brits sitting in the dark and cold.

3. Iran, China, and Russia are all threatening war.

Othering is easiest when people are afraid. No more keeping calm and carrying on, I guess.

•  

Gina P

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on April 21, 2024, 08:00:53 AMEngland has the triple storm of:

1. Climate change.

2. It's a falling empire, with many Brits sitting in the dark and cold.

3. Iran, China, and Russia are all threatening war.

Othering is easiest when people are afraid. No more keeping calm and carrying on, I guess.

But you have unified health care. Many in the states think this is better.
  •  

LoriDee

It wouldn't be as bad if the "authorities" who decide what is appropriate for transgender care were also transgender. I hate politics when it comes to medical care. Our care is between us and our doctors. Everyone else should butt out.

I also don't like "legislated morality".
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT
  •  

Jessica_K

Quote from: LoriDee on April 21, 2024, 10:54:56 AMIt wouldn't be as bad if the "authorities" who decide what is appropriate for transgender care were also transgender. I hate politics when it comes to medical care. Our care is between us and our doctors. Everyone else should butt out.

I also don't like "legislated morality".

The "authority" who decide transgender care are not transgender, they are anti-trans, conversionist, and gender critical.

•