Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Fight For Same-Sex Marriage Isn’t Over. Far From It.

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 14, 2024, 07:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

The Fight For Same-Sex Marriage Isn't Over. Far From It.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-fight-for-same-sex-marriage-isn-t-over-far-from-it/ar-BB1jSMKY?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4596ce2b225c438eb5e25f6f78bf4d33&ei=14

Story by Philip Elliott (14 March 2024)

When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade two years ago, Kelley Robinson was running the political shop at Planned Parenthood.

Robinson is now president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest LGBTQ civil rights organization, and fears she's watching the same slow-moving car crash all over again. The most glaring sign of many came about on the day Roe fell.

"In Clarence Thomas' dissent, he says the quiet part out loud: next they are coming for Windsor and Obergefell and Lawrence," she says, citing three rulings that unlocked a national right to same-sex marriage.

"People think that marriage equality is a fait accompli," says Rebecca Buckwalter-Poza, a former spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee and Yale Law graduate who is on the board of LPAC, which raises money to help lesbians and their allies win elections. "They think that not just because of Obergefell but because of the Respect for Marriage Act. They're wrong—dangerously wrong."
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jenn104

there is a fairly well known WWII Holocaust quote, from a Protestant pastor named Martin Niemoller which applies -

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up,
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.