Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Planet Fitness bans member who photographed trans woman changing — and it's not

Started by traciknight, March 18, 2024, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traciknight

Planet Fitness bans member who photographed trans woman changing — and it's not sorry

https://www.advocate.com/news/planet-fitness-bans-member-trans-woman

BY RYAN ADAMCZESKI MARCH 18 2024 4:50 PM EST in the Advocate

Planet Fitness is standing behind its decision to ban a member who photographed a transgender woman in a locker room.

As it turns out, Planet Fitness has better trans-inclusive locker room policies than most red states.

The gym chain recently defended its decision to revoke the membership of a woman who photographed another woman in a changing room. Patricia Silva was banned after she shared a video on Facebook featuring the other woman, who is transgender, while complaining about her presence in the woman's locker room.

Silva consistently misgendered the other woman in the video, saying that she "love(s)" her "in Christ" and that she "is a spiritual being having a human experience," but that she wasn't "comfortable" with the woman "shaving in my bathroom." Silva asserted that the woman "doesn't like" her gender at birth, so she "wants to be a woman."

Planet Fitness's nondiscrimination policy states that employees cannot discriminate against transgender people unless a "serious concern or significant doubt" about their identity arises. It explains: "If it is confirmed that a member is acting in bad faith and improperly asserts a gender identity, they may be asked to leave and their membership may be terminated."

==================================================================================================================================
I guess I know where I'm going to use my Silver Sneakers membership.
Thank you Planet Fitness.
Traci M Knight

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

imallie

She'd be a lot more convincing about loving this other in Christ if, perhaps, she took her complaint to the location's manager — who could have informed her of the corporate policy — as opposed to shaming someone on social media.

That is an odd way to show love, by my reckoning.

All some of these people see is a chance at 15 minutes of fame via getting booked on right-wing TV, which of course she will be in the next news cycle.
  •  

LoriDee

Some people can't feel good about themselves without tearing someone else down.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•