Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

‘We actually don’t know much’... close the knowledge gap in trans healthcare

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 19, 2024, 07:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

'We actually don't know much': the scientists trying to close the knowledge gap in trans healthcare

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/we-actually-don-t-know-much-the-scientists-trying-to-close-the-knowledge-gap-in-trans-healthcare/ar-BB1k6tJp?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=56ba4543f2d34ee4a55bbd647f0cb9ad&ei=17

Story by Nicola Davis Science correspondent (18 March 2024)

When Cameron Whitley was diagnosed with kidney failure seven years ago, the news came as a shock. But the situation was about to get worse. His doctor decided the diagnosis meant Whitley's hormone therapy had to stop.

Crucially, he says, the decision was completely unnecessary. "We call this within the medical community 'trans broken arm syndrome'," he said.

The term refers to medical situations – such as having a broken arm – that are unconnected to gender identity, yet healthcare providers act on the basis there is a connection.

But away from the public debate about who should have hormone therapies and when, growing numbers of researchers are beginning to delve into their impact on the body in a bid to improve healthcare for trans people – and for the wider population.

Despite the challenges, scientists say the possibilities of the new wave of research into hormone therapies is exciting, offering the chance to fundamentally change healthcare for the transgender community and more widely. "It has multiple layers," said Heinitz. "It's a beautiful field, I think."
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Moonflower

Neovaginal Human Papilloma Virus–Related Squamous Cell Carcinoma in a Transgender Woman

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2816221

Malte Renz, MD, PhD, Stanford University

JAMA Network Open (March 15, 2024)

Neovaginal squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) can occur in transgender women following gender-affirming surgery (GAS)... This unscreened reproductive tissue with high human papilloma virus (HPV) prevalence may be at increased risk of developing SCC once heterotopic and inverted, but formal recommendations regarding surgical follow-up examinations, screening, and treatment are missing...

Formalized recommendations could include routine preoperative screening of the penile-scrotal skin used for the neovagina to help risk-stratify postoperative examinations...

The fact that many transgender women retain the prostate does not preclude them from gynecologic oncology care...

Guideline recommendations for transgender women may help promote physical health and broaden health equity with the inclusion of a gender-diverse population.

------
         Speaking of trans healthcare, have you and your medical care providers considered pre-surgical and post-op oncology exams and screenings?
:icon_wave:
1999 married :icon_archery:
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
Fall 2018 my sweetheart's coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •