News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I came out to my lesbian group as non-binary. Their reaction floored me

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 24, 2024, 08:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

I came out to my lesbian group as non-binary. Their reaction floored me

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-came-out-to-my-lesbian-group-as-non-binary-their-reaction-floored-me/ar-BB1krhA7?ocid=windirect&cvid=ca28fdc781b04dc699a4006214252780&ei=15

Story by Ayman Eckford (24 March 2024)

My heart was pumping from familiar anxiety, as I stood outside the Lesbian Asylum Support Sheffield (LASS) – a refugee charity hub in the city centre.

The support group unites women from all around the globe – people that come to the area as asylum seekers, mostly after facing discrimination in their home countries.

But I am not a 'lass'. Or even a lad. I've never fitted into those labels.

But my worries were unfounded. As soon as I opened the door, one of the coordinators came to me and smiled, saying how glad she was to see me.

I found out about LASS almost by accident – at a refugee hub – a special place in Sheffield's Cathedral Victoria Hall once a week, where refugee people could find legal support from a drop-in solicitor.

Lina and I joined LASS during our first year in the UK, and I was excited that they easily accepted us.

Trans people are not enemies of women; actually, we are all harmed by the same system that judges us not for who we are but by gender 'norms' that were forced onto us by birth. I think many women's organisations could learn from groups like LASS and accept gender diversity.

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee, Moonflower