Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My Girlfriends comment made me think....

Started by Kendall, July 12, 2005, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendall

I was reading a particular article that mentioned conservated religious people as one cause for hate. At the time I was reading it outloud since my GF wanted to hear it. She felt entirely offended and felt that there was hatred coming back at her as a religious conservative person, even though she accepts me much more than many non conservative religious people treat other TGs. Not all conservative religious people, she says, hates transgender (nor any other GLBT group) communities. Her view is that if you show the goodness  and love inside you, most people will see that.

In the same token, it doesnt mean that non conservative religious people accept TGs.
  •  

beth

there are very good people in almost every group and this should remind us to not assume all in a certain group feel the same way. when the leadership stands up and comes out against us it makes it even harder to not assume all support that view.

beth
  •  

LostInTime

There are a few good ones in each group, with that I agree.  It has been my experience these past several years that once a religious conservative right winger learns about my TS status, they immediately brand me as sick and perverted.  It used to upset me but I see that segment of society for what it truly is:  a hate mongering crowd that would, in a heartbeat, round us up and place us into proper re-education camps so that we could find their true path to an afterlife that may or may not exist.

I also find that I have issues with people on the far left.  They preach unity and crap but, just like the religious right wingers, their world view includes only people who think like they do.

Now I do have friends in each of the above camps.  They are a very nice change of pace.  Or as the one religious person said, "My God is about love."
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hmmmmmmmmm,

Every group has it's extreamist views, or fring ellements.  Just look at the Catholic Church, they have lots issues between different factions within their religion.  So yes the Catholic Church is against abortion, same sex marriage, etc...  but there are lots of members who do not agree with that. 

Some times it's easy to piant everyone with the same brush, but I prefere to do things one on one, pick those who I like and who like me, no matter which group they belong to.  It's a question of creating allies, that way more people find out that on the whole we are really good people as well.

Having said that, I imagine that there are TS/TG's in our group who may be considered as extreamist as well.

Steph
  •  

Cassandra

A while back I came across a transexual site that examined transexualism from a biblical stand point. According to this scholar the word eunich in the bible was an incorrect translation of the Greek texts. In reality it is a word which specifically relates to the transgendered. In various passage the "eunich", as it is translated, is blessed by god.

Furthermore they are blessed with communications and visions from god and that they were intended to be preistesses for the church to convey god's messages and to teach his children love and tolerance according to his divine will. Even Paul speaks of us. I rather like this view. I wish I could find it again. I'll keep looking and when I do I'll post the link. It was really interesting.

This scholar goes further to show that throughout many cultures the transgendered were considered special and held in high esteem. It has only been in the past 200 years and primarily in the US that the transgendered have been scorned and ridiculed. So, it would seem all those religious right and lefties have it all wrong.

Cassie
  •