Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I am liking dresses more, do you enjoy wearing them?

Started by ChrissyRyan, April 06, 2024, 07:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

I am liking dresses more, do you enjoy wearing them?

I am also displeased with some really low quality clothes available online and what seems to be a less pleasing clothes selection at some "brick and mortar" retailers.  I am unsure what has happened.  Are manufacturers thinking of making profit at the expense of quality?

I may need to go to some resale boutiques to get some clothes that were perhaps made better 10-20 years ago.

Of course, perhaps I am slightly more picky nowadays.  I know now what can look better on ME, not just trying to wear something cute that does NOT look that good on ME.  Sometimes some really cute clothes do look good on ME.  Yay.

So I go with the tried and true classic looks.  After all, I am simply wanting to blend in, not stand out.  I want to look good though. 

But some of this thin material, bad seams, loose threads, and otherwise bad workmanship for many clothes is disheartening.

I say otherwise when I find something really nice though.  It just takes me longer now to find those gems.

Best of shopping to you all,

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Maid Marion

Forever 21 sells what is known as "Fast Fashion."  Trendy and cheap clothing, mostly purchased online.
  •  

LoriDee

I enjoy wearing dresses but never out. I don't have the legs for it. Between my knobby knees and all the scars from bashing them against tank parts, rocks, and climbing through brambles... yeah, I'm not comfortable enough yet. I do enjoy wearing hose or tights in winter, I just don't explore that as often as I would like.

Like you, I have a very hard time finding something that fits (I am tall), is of at least medium quality, and is in a style I like or am comfortable with. The last four or five purchases (all made in China) were disasters. My bestie wants to go thrifting at some resale shops like Plato's Closet or some of the "vintage" clothing resellers. I might do that when I get time.  ;D
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: LoriDee on April 06, 2024, 09:48:30 PMI enjoy wearing dresses but never out. I don't have the legs for it. Between my knobby knees and all the scars from bashing them against tank parts, rocks, and climbing through brambles... yeah, I'm not comfortable enough yet. I do enjoy wearing hose or tights in winter, I just don't explore that as often as I would like.

Like you, I have a very hard time finding something that fits (I am tall), is of at least medium quality, and is in a style I like or am comfortable with. The last four or five purchases (all made in China) were disasters. My bestie wants to go thrifting at some resale shops like Plato's Closet or some of the "vintage" clothing resellers. I might do that when I get time.  ;D

I try the ones that have a stated length of at least 42-44 inches, then my knees are covered when I am walking.  I prefer maxi dresses and mid calf lengths but I might order one that will not go that low, if I think it is very pretty and it might work out.  The dresses that look just right are so affirming.  I wish I was able to wear them being raised as a girl but that did not come about.  I keep only the ones whose fit and look work out.

Insofar as passing goes, well no male fail yet but I really need to be myself unless I know that would be unwise for one reason or another.

I am liking some dresses that have tie backs to gather the waist a bit, and some dresses that have a higher waist seem to provide more emphasis to my "girls".  I like pleats, pintucking above the bodice, gathering of material and smocking, basic solid colors, and florals. 

I still of course will wear pants, jeans, blazers, and so on too.  It is fun to try to look nice, we have so many options!

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I am not into expensive brand names but I want clothes that are nicely and well made.
Made to last.

Chrissy
  •  

Paulie

I love dresses.  I'm a little hesitant to admit just how many I have.  From casual summer dresses to Sunday go to church dresses.  Dressy office attire to skimpy night club things.  But atlas no place to wear them except while at home.

I'm not out yet and I'll never pass, so the thought of wearing a dress out is not on the horizon.  I have ventured out in a skirt a few times only because certain skirts can be a little bit more androgynous. 

Oh how I love dresses, 😔
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Faith

I have a mix and I wear what my mood calls for, or my expectations of the days activities.

I have one piece pullovers, one piece step into, long shirts, mids, and the infamous "how do you have the guts to wear that" short skirts.

Apparently I do have the legs for it based on the comments that I overhear.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

ChrissyRyan

I am very pleased with the new dress I received Saturday.  It fits really nice and looks good on me.  It comes down to about eight inches above my ankles.  I might wear it today or tomorrow. 

It is nice when you find something pretty and it works out for you. 

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: LoriDee on April 06, 2024, 09:48:30 PMI enjoy wearing dresses but never out. I don't have the legs for it. Between my knobby knees and all the scars from bashing them against tank parts, rocks, and climbing through brambles... yeah, I'm not comfortable enough yet. I do enjoy wearing hose or tights in winter, I just don't explore that as often as I would like.

Good luck clothes shopping. I have too many clothes and I do give them to missions.  When I dropped a size I gave away a lot but kept many, which is good because five pounds up or down seems to make a comfort difference for me for some clothes.

I have been wearing more purple berry, pink, and reds it seems.  Sometimes the more feminine colors helps me with my body dysphoria.  They seem to help me look nice, but really any of the gender conforming clothes are affirming in themselves.

I will have a gender counseling appointment tomorrow afternoon.  I will wear my newest dress. I hope to get more clarity on some transition matters.

Well I need to finalize organizing and to get onto working now.  I need to focus.

Chrissy
  •  

Maid Marion

Over the weekend I found a box of shirts I no longer wear so I ran over to Savers for donation!
I also gave them a bathroom scale and some cat clocks.

I wear a lot of pink clothes.  Yesterday I work a long sleeved pink pola and a slightly darker pink golf jacket.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

The dresses I have give me a less concern for my "package" to be noticed.

Plus when shopping, buying gas, etc. when in a dress I have not noticed those inquisitive "is that a she or he" looks, probably because guys do not wear dresses.

Chrissy
  •  

Maid Marion

You want to stay away from the androgynous zone, between male and female.
If you do that you will fall into the "uncanny valley" that makes people nervous.

There is an art to putting on just a little makeup so it helps how you look and also looks natural.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

I haven't worn a dress for years, but I once enjoyed wearing them, especially sundresses and anything with a full, twirling skirt.

MM, the uncanny valley can beguile. Behold David Bowie, Annie Lennox, and Tilda Swinton. I find androgynous people to be some of the world's most attractive people.
  •