News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Idaho governor signs bill to ban required pronoun use

Started by Jessica_Rose, April 10, 2024, 02:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Idaho governor signs bill to ban required pronoun use

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/idaho-governor-signs-bill-to-ban-required-pronoun-use/ar-BB1lpuR7?ocid=windirect&cvid=d88b0a4442e34377aa80065788941f70&ei=29

Story by Brooke Migdon (10 April 2024)

Idaho schools will soon be unable to require staff and students to use a transgender student's name and pronouns under legislation signed this week by the state's Republican Gov. Brad Little.

Idaho House Bill 538, which passed the state's Republican-dominated Legislature by wide margins last month, prevents K-12 educators and college professors from "knowingly and intentionally" addressing a minor by a name or pronoun that does not align with their sex assigned at birth without written consent from their parents.

The bill also shields school staff from adverse employment action "for declining to address a student using a name other than the student's legal name, a derivative thereof, or by a preferred pronoun."

Little quietly signed the measure into law on Monday. It will take effect July 1.

GOP state lawmakers during this year's legislative session said such laws are needed to protect against "unlawful compelled speech."

State Democrats largely opposed the measure, arguing that the First Amendment, which protects the freedom of speech, is not meant to allow employees to act unprofessionally or discriminate against others at work.

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Devlyn

So a boy named Sue would have a real problem there...
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I find it disconcerting that simply being respectful is now deemed 'unlawful compelled speech'.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

LoriDee

Due to some mistake in my school registration, I went half of my sophomore year in high school being called by my middle name. I corrected the teacher and the office staff to no avail. So I just refused to answer to that name. It was frustrating. I was so glad to leave that school when we moved a few months later.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Devlyn on April 10, 2024, 03:39:10 PMSo a boy named Sue would have a real problem there...

Apparently so!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Wait a second.  Being polite and respectful is "compelled speech", but being required by law to address students by names and pronouns they find offensive isn't?  ????

So free speech is "compelled" and compelled speech is "free".  O-o-o-kay.  Got it.  Those legislators are looney-tunes nuts and just plain evil.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee