News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Trans women sue Montana over new policies that risk their public safety

Started by Jessica_Rose, April 18, 2024, 07:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Trans women sue Montana over new policies that risk their public safety

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trans-women-sue-montana-over-new-policies-that-risk-their-public-safety/ar-AA1ngqNV?ocid=windirect&cvid=c4507d932c714e558e1312aead9786b0&ei=14

Story by Daniel Villarreal (18 Apr 2024)

Two transgender women have filed a class-action lawsuit against Montana and several state agencies over the government's policy forbidding people from changing sex markers on their birth certificates. The inability to change this document puts trans people at risk of discrimination and harassment, the lawsuit's plaintiffs say.

The lawsuit takes issue with a 2022 rule by the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) stating that the department would only change gender on birth certificates if an individual's sex assigned at birth was misidentified or incorrectly recorded. DPHHS officials said they would not change birth certificate gender markers based on "gender transition, gender identity, or change of gender."

The plaintiffs have asked the court for an injunction against the aforementioned policies. The two plaintiffs say that they represent "all transgender people born in Montana who currently want, or who in the future will want" the sex designation on the identity documents changed. They are represented by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the ACLU of Montana, and the law firm Nixon Peabody LLP, The Hill reported.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

ChrissyRyan

I have not had my documentation changed but when I want to I would like to be able to, wherever I may be in the USA.

I do not seem to need to show my ID much at all except at airports, and very occasionally when I use a credit card that is handed over to a cashier.   Most of the time you can use those credit card readers.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

LoriDee

Same as Chrissy, I haven't needed to change my birth certificate. I have state and federal photo IDs and if I go to get a passport, my old birth certificate and name-change order are sufficient. There is no longer a requirement to document gender change. You choose what you want even if it doesn't match your other documents.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT
  •  

Jessica_K

Here in the UK, gender change is a bit of an anomaly compared to the anti-trans agenda of the government as procedures have not been "updated" yet.

We have no concept of legal name, nor a national ID system so getting some ID is quite easy.

Changing birth certificate is very hard and costly to do. So most trans people do not do it.

Jessica.
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•