Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Who can and can't see my deadname after it's legally changed? [US, Michigan]

Started by JackintheBox, April 24, 2024, 11:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackintheBox

Hey folks, I'm new here and created my account just to ask this. I'm having a really hard time finding information online.

I was born in and currently live in Michigan. In January of 2023, at the age of 18, I had my name and gender legally changed on everything I had. My ID, my birth certificate, my SSN profile, and my high school records before I got my diploma. I didn't have a driver's license at the time and because I was under 22yo I didn't need to give finger prints. I also have a clean criminal record. Sadly, I did have to publish a newspaper about my court hearing, but it didn't share any details other than the date and my deadname (which was my legal name at the time).

I'm currently 19yo and I've done a lot to remain as stealth as possible. However, one of my fears is someone finding out my deadname. It's obviously a very feminine girl's name, I couldn't play it off as a name I changed just because I hated it. Who can and can't see it? I figured government officials can obviously see it, but can cops see it just by running my plates? Can employers see it when running a background check? Can the public see it by looking at public records?

I've tried using free background check services and have yet to find anything. But I'm unsure how much better paid background checks are. I used the official Michigan public records search, but it doesn't allow for name change records to be shown. So I'm at a loss. I'd like to just live a normal life without my past coming to haunt me. Is there a way I can get my name change records sealed in Michigan?

Northern Star Girl

@JackintheBox
Dear JackintheBox:
I am going to keep this short because I do not wish to interrupt your
posting where you are looking for important information...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I notice that you have just registered this morning as a new member and
this is your very first posting.

WELCOME to Susan's Place and the FORUM.

Here on the Forum have members coming from all backgrounds and with a variety of experiences.

Please review the LINKS at the end of this message, they include information which will help you to
navigate the site and use the available features. Look especially at the LINKS in RED...
...there are answers to questions that most new members ask.

Once you reach 15 posts you will be able to send and reply to Forum private messages, also
you will then be able to upload and post your Avatar profile picture.

I am wishing you a Warm Welcome to Susan's Place!
If after carefully reading all of the information above and in the LINKS, and
you still have more questions regarding how the Forum works, you can contact me
via my private Email that is shown immediatly following my name below:

I look forward to your involvement on the Forum and reading your
future postings, comments and thoughts.

Please find your way the Introductions Forum and tell us something about yourself.

I will now let you have your topic and thread back so you can seek the answers you
are looking for. 
Other like-minded members will be along to give you their thoughts and comments.

Warmest Regards,
Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]  E-Mail: alaskandanielle@yahoo.com
The Forum Administrator
Helpful links to information that you should read

cc: @Sarah B
                  @LoriDee

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single

LoriDee

Hello Jack!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

I had similar concerns as you. When I changed my legal name, I sent certified copies of the court order to everyone I have business with. For income, that is Social Security, Veterans Administration, and a disability pension fund. I also sent copies to the three credit bureaus TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. Then I did the same to all my creditors: Credit Union (car loan), credit card company, and bank. Then it was driver's license, vehicle registration, and insurance company.

It sounds like you took care of most, if not all of these too. It takes time, but as systems update and cross-check information, eventually your dead name will be buried deep in the past. It is accessible through court records because that is public information. But who is going to bother, except maybe law enforcement? But what would be the point? That is not who you are NOW and that is what they want to know.

I had a background check done last August to move into my new apartment. At that time, my name change was less than a year old, so I gave the manager a copy of the court order. That was just in case some system that I missed had not been updated yet. Now, I am coming up on two years since my name change and I refuse to acknowledge my dead name. I get telemarketers calling and I just say no one here by that name and hang up.

Things may be different in Michigan, but most states operate the same way. I would say to not worry too much about it. If it comes up, just correct the record if necessary. If it isn't important (like a telemarketer for the police charity), just tell them that isn't you, or that person doesn't live there anymore.

That is my experience and I hope something in here is useful information for you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. I will help in any way I can.

Again, welcome to Susan's!

Lori Dee
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT

Devlyn

Welcome to Susan's Place, Jack!

You got me thinking, so I googled my old name, which I changed in 2016. There are plenty of traces of me left on the internet. Nothing connecting me to my name change order, though.

See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn

Jessica_K

I obviously cannot answer the question but like Devlyn I did a simple online search of my deadname. And it appears to be nearly non existent, I found just one from 22 years ago that gave my address as a company director at a house I have not lived in for 20 years. That's it.
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new