Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Texas governor calls for ban on gender non-conforming teachers...

Started by Jessica_Rose, April 27, 2024, 03:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Texas governor calls for ban on gender non-conforming teachers, LGBTQ+ educators respond

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-governor-calls-for-ban-on-gender-non-conforming-teachers-lgbtq-educators-respond/ar-AA1nJYRs?ocid=windirect&cvid=d8556775bcd04c88a9c6cdeb7b48f9e2&ei=32

Story by Cora Neas (26 April 2024)

DALLAS (KXAN) — At the Young Conservatives of Texas' April 19 convention in Dallas, Texas Governor Greg Abbott called for an "end" to gender non-conforming behavior by teachers, according to audio released to KXAN by Texas Observer reporter Steven Monacelli.

"In Lewisville, Texas... just a month ago, they had a high school teacher, who is a man, who would go to school dressed as a woman in a dress, high heels and makeup," said Abbott at the conference. "The person... is trying to normalize that this behavior is ok! It's not ok!"

He added that "this behavior" is what he wants to "end in the state of Texas," and said that he feels it would be distracting for students.

"I think it's possible that we could see banning gender non-conforming teachers become a legislative priority," Monacelli said.

"It goes against every right so many fought for and died to protect," said an Austin ISD educator. "Our constitution was built on the ideas of the freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These laws are directly going against this. Our country is built on diversity and freedoms, to strip this away is un-American."

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

From the Texas Workforce Commission website:
Employment Discrimination

"Employment discrimination generally exists where an employer treats an applicant or employee less favorably merely because of a person's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran. Employment discrimination also applies to work situations such as hiring, firing, promotions, harassment, training, wages, and benefits."

-------
I hope every teacher in Texas files a complaint and Texas loses all federal funding. The only way to get a politician's attention is to hit him hard where it hurts the most. Right in the wallet.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Mariah

Not sure Texas cares about federal funding. So many Texans want Texas to leave the United States. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

LoriDee

My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

BlueJaye

Quote from: Mariah on April 27, 2024, 11:38:48 AMNot sure Texas cares about federal funding. So many Texans want Texas to leave the United States. Hugs
Mariah

Please, please, please let that happen. So many companies, including my own employer, moved their US headquarters to Texas in recent years because of the tax advantages and such. I would LOVE to see all the companies who followed that trend suddenly have their US headquarters no longer be in the United States.
  •