Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Moisturizers for skin on MTF HRT

Started by NancyDrew1930, May 01, 2024, 08:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NancyDrew1930

Recently in a few pics without makeup or sunscreen on, I've noticed that my skin tone has become paler with MTF HRT.  However I have also been finding that my skin is also drier.  I've been using up the moisturizer that I have had, however I'm finding that it's not moisturizing as good as it used to.  Like on my face there's one spot where my foundation will appear flaky even after I have applied moisturizer, sunscreen (with minerals) and primer.  The rest of my face will be fine, but that one area will be flaky looking.

For my body (arms/legs/torso) I've been using Vaseline's Cocoa Radiant, while for the face I have been using some of Lancôme's Hydra Zen creams. 

So do you find there are any creams that you find moisturize good with HRT?
  •  

LoriDee

I had a similar issue. The problem turned out to be powder makeup like Bare Minerals. I have since switched to liquids and apply LIGHTLY. I was taught that if you apply it with your finger, you get a more natural look. If you use a cosmetic sponge, you get better coverage, but it can look caked up close.

In one of her posts, Faith mentioned using aloe vera After Sun gel as a shaving cream. It is fantastic! And it is a great moisturizer. I apply it after a shower and let it soak in for a few minutes. Then wash it off, pat dry, and you are ready for makeup.

Maybe give some of these ideas a try. Let us know if you find something that works for you.

Hugs!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

imallie

I haven't done more than dabble with makeup, but I have definitely noticed a change in my skin with HRT. Where I previously had a more oily skin, now it is much drier... and that was particularly noticeable on my face.

Weekly electrolysis sessions certainly added to the issue, so my electrologist recommended that I start moisturizing (although never on a day I was going in for treatment) and I have noticed a big improvement.

I have been using Olay, but she had said it was more that I do it, not what I use... so I don't know if the product is the key as so much as the daily act of applying ANY moisturizer.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jenn104

I am a daily skin care person. What works for me is a combination of advice from 3 or 4 friends... ymmv.

Practice daily skin care. A good routine takes under 15 minutes.

Get a gentle face scrub and make time for yourself at night. Cetaphil and CeraVe both make good products. you need to find what works for you by trial and error. Keeping your skin clean is huge.

I exfoliate twice a week. I use a chemical exfoliator. Do not use the cheap gritty stuff on your face. I am still looking for a brand I love.

In the morning, I still need to shave. sadly. I use Origins brand mushroom resiliency lotion after. Yep. pricey. One bottle will last over a year because a few drops go a long way. I also use after electrolysis.

Morning and evening I use a serum then a hydrating moisturizer. I use a vitamin c serum in the morning, a hyloronic acid one at night. The Ordinary is a good, inexpensive serum I like. I rotate between a few moisturizers, CeraVe and Cetaphil make good moisturizers that work for me.

Good routine and finding what works on your skin are my take aways. Remember this is my routine, everyone needs to find what works for themselves.

Jenn

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

LoriDee

I think a lot of my problems are due to sun damage. I have had seven skin cancers removed (all benign), five on my face/neck, one on my forearm, and one on my back. I grew up in the California desert in the 60s and nobody told us about sunscreen. I have always been outdoorsy, from hiking and camping to military service, and now gold prospecting and rock-hounding.

The plastic surgeon who did my eye surgery suggested I use Retin-A for fine lines, rosacea, etc. I tried using it, but it works by kicking skin cells in high gear, so you get breakouts and sloughing to reveal the new skin underneath. Then exfoliating to remove that so shaving doesn't rip holes in your skin. But shaving afterward still irritates the skin from all these things rubbing and scraping the surface. I stopped using the Retin-A until I see my new Dermatologist next week.

My previous Dermatologist suggested BBL (Broadband Laser) to reduce the rosacea and smooth things out. But it is considered "cosmetic" and I couldn't afford the $500 price tag. I want to get into a good skincare routine so I will wait and see how my appointment goes. I'll ask many questions and come back here with more information.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

BlueJaye

I use Neutrogena Hydroboost products. From spring through autumn, I use those which have sun protection.
  •  

NancyDrew1930

Quote from: LoriDee on May 01, 2024, 09:11:33 PMI had a similar issue. The problem turned out to be powder makeup like Bare Minerals. I have since switched to liquids and apply LIGHTLY. I was taught that if you apply it with your finger, you get a more natural look. If you use a cosmetic sponge, you get better coverage, but it can look caked up close.

In one of her posts, Faith mentioned using aloe vera After Sun gel as a shaving cream. It is fantastic! And it is a great moisturizer. I apply it after a shower and let it soak in for a few minutes. Then wash it off, pat dry, and you are ready for makeup.

Maybe give some of these ideas a try. Let us know if you find something that works for you.

Hugs!

I've never used powder foundation, only cream and liquid.  The liquid I have been applying with my finger.  Overall I've not been that happy with how liquid looks on me.  Once I finish this jar I'll be switching back to the cream.

And I do exfoliate, with both a chemical exfoliater and I also have a hand held machine by Braun.  However the spot is close to where my CPAP machine rests (it's also right on my dimple), so I wonder if there's an issue there.
  •  

big kim

I've used Simple day & night creams & eye cream for 33 years. Never use soap on my face but use Clean & Clear liquid cleanser & Simple toner. I spray water on my face & neck after cleansing & toning. Never worn make up for years, though I'm 67 in October I still have good skin
  •  

LoriDee

@big kim

I turn 67 in September! I don't use soap on my face either. I like the idea of spraying water on it after cleansing and toning. I am going to try that.

Thanks!

2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: big kim

ChrissyRyan

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

NancyDrew1930

Quote from: LoriDee on May 01, 2024, 09:11:33 PMI had a similar issue. The problem turned out to be powder makeup like Bare Minerals. I have since switched to liquids and apply LIGHTLY. I was taught that if you apply it with your finger, you get a more natural look. If you use a cosmetic sponge, you get better coverage, but it can look caked up close.

Hugs!
Turns out that that spot that I had was from infection.  The doctor is figuring that I scratched my face at one point in that area and I somehow got an infection.  So I have been using Ozonol to clear it up.
  •  

LoriDee

Thanks for the follow-up!

I was wondering if the CPAP was irritating, as you suspected. Could that also be the cause of the infection? I know most users are meticulous in keeping their equipment clean. Hope it clears up quickly.

2024 - Voice Training
  •