Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Subtle Cues: Body Language

Started by LoriDee, May 04, 2024, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoriDee

I will state right up front here that I am no expert. I was speaking with my neighbor and our conversation made me think about things I need to work on so I decided to share what I discovered.

My neighbor has severely bowed legs, one knee replacement and the other is due for replacement. She told me that she was trying to walk without limping. She has walked with a limp for so long, now she needs to unlearn that habit.

This made me think about how I walk. I never gave it much thought before. I am tall, so I tend to take long strides. Women take shorter strides and keep their feet closer together.

Dr. Todd Martin has a couple of videos on YouTube discussing the biomechanics behind male walks and female walks. He pointed out that males tend to sway with their shoulders, and females sway with their hips. You don't have to throw them around like a runway model, (I think that looks ridiculous), but keeping the shoulders steady and adding a touch of feminine energy in the hip sway makes a big difference in how we present ourselves.

Males also tend to "duck walk", that is with toes pointing out. Females tend to walk with their toes pointing straight forward. I think there is a psychological factor in this. When I was attending the College of Hypnotherapy, we learned about different personality types. I don't mean like a narcissist or introvert or whatever. There are two primary types: physical and emotional. Don't get wrapped up in labels. They just help us identify which type of person we are observing, or treating.

In my practice, before I would give my client a demonstration of hypnosis, I would first have them relax with their feet up. Like relaxing in a recliner chair, or feet on an ottoman or footstool. They were unaware of it, but when they were relaxed I noticed their feet. Physical types tend to rest with their feet in a V (toes out), while emotional types tend to rest with toes straight up or even pointing in. I suspect that physical types also walk with their toes out, and emotional types walk with their toes pointing forward. It is just a theory.

As I said, do not get wrapped up in the labels. It has mostly to do with psychology and one's environment growing up. There are physical women and emotional men. And it can change. For most of my life, I was a physical type. Recently, I discovered that I am now an emotional type.

My point here is, notice if you duck walk. Some women do, but that is considered a masculine walk. If you are FtM, maybe work on adopting that style with a shoulder sway. Ladies walk with their elbows tucked in and their arms swing more freely to the side, behind, or in front of them.

Anna Bey has several YouTube videos on feminine body language and how to present oneself as an elegant woman. Things like how you sit or stand, or gesture. Making slow, smooth, and deliberate movements. These are all things we can do in the privacy of our homes. Practice them enough to make them a habit and you can send those subtle cues without realizing it. When that happens, we will get more positive reinforcement when people address us, and that builds our confidence and self-esteem.

Although I mostly addressed the things I am working on as MtF, the same techniques can be used by FtM. Just realize what your body is doing and shift to doing it the other way. For our intersex and non-binary friends who might wish to be more stealthy or unisex, notice your body language and adopt a different approach to subdue the cues that you do not want to send.

I hope this helps. I am still learning and practicing, so take this with a grain of salt.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower

Maid Marion

Walking around in high heels typically forces more feminine shorter strides.
On certain floor types the sound of high heels is quite distinctive.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I purposely take shorter strides.  This makes me think it is taking me longer to walk because it does.  My point is that I notice this no matter what, so at the same time I am walking shorter strides, I must not think that I am.  Just do it in other words.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Maid Marion on May 04, 2024, 11:25:00 AMWalking around in high heels typically forces more feminine shorter strides.
On certain floor types the sound of high heels is quite distinctive.

I have never tried to any real extent walking on high heels.  I tried some on and stood up and just did not like it.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

LoriDee

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on May 04, 2024, 12:11:49 PMI have never tried to any real extent walking on high heels.  I tried some on and stood up and just did not like it.

Chrissy

I never tried it because I am just under 6 feet tall. Heels would put me at 6'2" or 3". Nope, not doing that.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

LoriDee

Quote from: Maid Marion on May 04, 2024, 11:25:00 AMWalking around in high heels typically forces more feminine shorter strides.

In one of the videos I mentioned, they talked about that. Also walking in heels causes more hip sway. I think it has to do with shortening the calf muscle. It forces you to raise the hip as you bring your leg forward.

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jessica_K

On other forums, there are many threads of mtf not passing and I mention that I should not passs but I do. I explain how to observe cis women and their mannerism and copying them (practicing first) and being confident goes a very long way to passing. It's speech patterns, it's hand movement, it's head position, it's the way one sits. It works for me.

One can look perfect but if one still has male mannerisms then it's quickly picked up whereas as the visual range of cis-women is so large, mannerisms become the divide.

An analogy was an advertisement in the UK. A beautiful perfect sophisticated looking woman that could grace high society talks with a cockney accent.

Hugs
Jessica xxx   
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

ChrissyRyan

•  

Maid Marion

But, when walking around, you need to be checking everyone out to avoid dangerous people.
Women normally do that to avoid predators when they are young and vulnerable.

Men, especially big men, aren't conditioned to do that.

Of course you are going to make occasional eye contact.
So just do it and move on. 
  •  

Jessica_K

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on May 05, 2024, 07:37:19 AMAvoid doing head nods.
The correct response is to look at the stranger and smile as you pass

•  

ChrissyRyan

Some days I am sure I blow these important body movement details.
It is like I am scatterbrained.  I wish they would all be "correct", every day, every time. No matter what.
  •  

LoriDee

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on May 06, 2024, 11:02:38 PMSome days I am sure I blow these important body movement details.
It is like I am scatterbrained.  I wish they would all be "correct", every day, every time. No matter what.

I hear ya.

But the only way to make that happen is to practice until it becomes a habit. I go for a short walk four or five times a day. I practice. I don't always get it right, but I am getting more comfortable with it so it is almost automatic. Then my blonde scatterbrain kicks in ...  ;D

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jessica_K

Living stealth for so long, I know one mistake and I am blown so I am so careful. But recently I have been so stressed at work that I feel I am going to explode, I am worried I am letting my guard down. 

•  

LoriDee

@Jessica_K

I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Did something specific happen to cause you to worry? Or is it the stress is piling up to make you overthink your concerns? Your concerns are valid either way, but how you handle them may differ.

If it was a specific event, (someone commented, or you noticed something you let slip, etc.) then you can deal with that specific event. But if it is a general concern that when you are stressed you are less cautious, that can add more stress. Just relax. You got this.

Is there some way we can help? We are here for you.

Hugs!

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jessica_K

That's the same advise I get from my friends. Thank you

It's work pressures, I have been under great stress to finish the design and layout of a new processing PCB for the optical comms satellite. But at the same time I have to work in commercial to make money.

The PCB has been built and has some errors due to oversight caused by the stresses and I am having difficulty fixing them due to the extreme density of the board and most of the tracking not visible due to them spread over 20 layers.

Now I am under extreme pressure to come up with fixes.

If you are interested this is what it looks like: Pcb

Jessica xxx

•  

LoriDee

I am familiar with PCBs, but 20 layers. Wow
That would be difficult to track. If you find the issue, how do you fix it? A new board? Or is the problem in one of the components or their socket?

I started old school with discreet components. I liked the concept of being able to put 30 - 50 transistors in a single chip, but that just meant replacing the whole IC chip. You are doing design, so I see how that could be pressure, then piling the stress of deadlines on top. I don't blame you. Just try to take your breaks and chill as much as possible. Do a Sudoku puzzle or something on your phone to give your brain a break. Then attack it fresh.

I wish I could be there to help out. A) hug you and remind you that you got this and B) because I would be fascinated by some newer tech. I haven't worked in electronics in about 20 years, but I love it!

Hang tough, Sis.

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Maid Marion

Hi Jessica,

Good luck on getting that sorted out.

When I got out of school I did simple RF circuit boards.
Just one layer and a ground plane.

I did microwaveRF  boards. Teflon supported by a brass frame.  It was a challenge because I needed AutoCad but my employer was too cheap so I had to improvise with a program that wasn't designed for creating 50 and 70 ohm traces.  If I had that someone else would have donated a program that would work with AutoCad. Maybe I already had that one, I don't remember.   I used Touchstone and Microwave Harmonica to design microwave circuits.
  •  

Jessica_K

The big silver chip has over 200 million transistor equivalents inside  it lol. A bit of progress from the old days.

My problem however is a simple LDO regulator that does not meet spec, or I should say the spec does not meet the device in that it's missing information, is non standard, but does not say so. So annoying.

•  

Maid Marion

I designed a lot of stuff for battery operation out in the field, so I used lots of LDO regulators.

I helped a guy with a low noise preamp powered with a garden variety 7805 regulator.
I looked at it on a spectrum analyzer and saw a whopping 1MHz oscillation!  No wonder it didn't work!

Needless to say I'm always making sure my regulators are properly bypassed.

I like to troubleshoot stuff with spectrum analyzers as I think in the frequency domain.
They are sensitive enough that I can pick up signals without an actual galvanic connection.
I may not even have to "pop open the lid" to see what is wrong!
If I can do that I may be able to avoid breaking stuff  while trying to fix stuff.

I learned to fix stuff without schematics.  Most of the time they aren't required if you just want it to work again.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Years ago I discovered the secret to solid state devices, it's the special smoke they use during the manufacturing process. Once you let the smoke out, they'll never again work properly.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: D'Amalie