Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

One personal decision can create a mess of financial challenges for transgender

Started by Jessica_Rose, May 30, 2024, 10:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

One personal decision can create a mess of financial challenges for transgender Americans—'it takes a lot of courage'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/one-personal-decision-can-create-a-mess-of-financial-challenges-for-transgender-americans-it-takes-a-lot-of-courage/ar-AA1o2WB2?ocid=windirect&cvid=fb2ce814925e4a7db3dcb4df9b2114a6&ei=42

Story by Kamaron McNair (May 2024)

Changing their name may be an important step a transgender or nonbinary person takes to embrace their identity.

... Even if you get through the lengthy and complicated process to legally change your name, there are often more hurdles ahead.

"You have a new name that doesn't match your driver's license, or the name on your lease for your apartment, or the name on your credit cards, so it becomes an issue where these [financial] institutions think that we're fraudulent," Leo Aquino, a personal finance journalist and educator who founded Queer and Trans Wealth, tells CNBC Make It. "You're automatically sort of looked at as...a person who's trying to get one over on us, which is simply not true."

Trans and nonbinary people may face additional challenges than those changing their name for other reasons.

"There are clear processes for updating the change of last name because of marriage and divorce — our legal system is built to support those changes," Shelby Anderson, executive director of wealth planning and advice at J.P. Morgan Wealth Management, tells CNBC Make It. "But the U.S. has been slow to develop [policies] to address other changes, like [gender] identity and first names."

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee, Sarah B

LoriDee

When I changed my legal name here in South Dakota, I challenged the requirement to post a Notice of Hearing in the local paper. It shows the old name and the new name and must be published once per week for four weeks. Not very private.

I was told that the reason is to prevent identity theft, people dodging warrants or child support, or maybe they are listed as a Sex Offender. The date of the hearing is published so that anyone wishing to challenge the name change, (for any of those reasons), can appear in court and present the challenge to the judge. Since it is a hearing, the petitioner has the opportunity to provide the court with an explanation. All of this is done in a public hearing and becomes a part of the public record.

I have heard of people requesting the record be sealed, but I don't see any reason to do that. Once I had the court order there was nothing anyone could do about anyway.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: LoriDee on May 30, 2024, 11:55:01 AMWhen I changed my legal name here in South Dakota, I challenged the requirement to post a Notice of Hearing in the local paper. It shows the old name and the new name and must be published once per week for four weeks. Not very private.

As a man, my spouse did NOT like attracting attention. We appreciated that the lawyer arranged for no newspaper notice and the sealed court record. Besides, no newspaper announcement saved us money and sped up the process.

As a woman, my wife LOVES advocating for transwomen. She is stressed out by subtly hostile people, but believes that she undermines their transphobia as she presents an example of a pleasant, mature, reasonable transwoman. She believes that being "out" is her responsibility as a transwoman.

I am amazed that she is enthusiastically getting us to places to change her name in person.

QuoteI was told that the reason is to prevent identity theft, people dodging warrants or child support, or maybe they are listed as a Sex Offender.

Her court petition stated that she was not stealing anyone's identity, not dodging anything, and never any kind of a criminal, etc. I understand that each state handles such risks differently.
:icon_wave:
1999 we met and married :icon_archery:
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for gender surgery!

Welcome, to Significant Others
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247396.0.html

Our transitioning blog, "Opening The Cage"
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,241591.0.html
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B