Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Social Media Algorithms

Started by Allie Jayne, May 28, 2024, 08:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie Jayne

I have been noticing that I am getting friend suggestions on social media, and some of the suggested people are people from Susan's who I'm not sure I have even interacted with. The algorithm seems to have identified me as associated with this site, and is suggesting friends from this site! So much for anonymity!

The only ways I can imagine it happens is maybe facial recognition, and maybe these people are on the friends lists of one or more of my social media friends. In any case, I see the pages of some people here, and no doubt, they get to see mine!

I thought members here who are also on social media sites should know this.

Hugs,

Allie

Sarah B

Hi Everyone

Now you know why I'm not on any social media.

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
Feb 1991 Surgery.

LoriDee

I didn't experience this until I "Friended" a member. Then it suggests that maybe I know their friends, and friends of friends, etc.

This site is indexed by Google, so posts and such are indexed in the search engine. I did a reverse image search on my profile pic and all of the results were posts from here. I do the reverse image search occasionally to ensure that scammers are not using my photo.

On my website, I do not allow Google or other search engines to index the site. So my profile pic (same as here) on my website does not show up in the search results. It only shows up here.

The reason for allowing Google to index this site is so other people looking for information will find this site first. I think we all agree that we would prefer to get our information from experts on the ground, rather than political or scam sites.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training

ChrissyRyan

I think there are other services that scour or index this Web site, not just Google.

They may have the same access as any other member.  If so, that means that no subject area is hidden from them.  But supposedly private messages sent here are not visible to anyone or any indexer except to intended recipients and some staff here.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

LoriDee

Yes, Private Messages are not displayed on a webpage, so they are formatted differently. Search engines can't see them.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

davina61

I taped over the camera on my laptop as it was snapping me randomly for product placement ads. Smart TV is linked as well , I watch something on telly and next day associated links come up on FB.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

LoriDee

I don't give the TV internet access.

I watch movies in my digital library via the Internet. It goes internet > computer > TV. I also have my network secured by MAC address. So the TV has no access and is blocked if it tries.

Home girl don't play that game.

•  

Jessica_K

I have 3 laptops, the TV, the audio streamer, and my phone all Internet connected. I use Facebook and >-bleeped-<, and the only request I get are men wanting to connect (o wonder why?), or friends of friends in the hifi groups. I never friend the former and only friend the later that have a high number of other friends I have. Never had anyone from here with one exception a good friend.

Also I have managed to keep my deadname account (not used but still exists) completely separate from my me account we are two totally un-related people.

Jessica. Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

ChrissyRyan

Televisions are priced so low in part because they can capture so much data about you and sell it.  They may make more money on the acquired data than by selling the TV to a wholesaler.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Facebook has always recommended "friends of friends" as potential new friends.  I never follow up on its friend recommendations. 

Generally, I pick friends that I actually know in some context.  If I have looked for them and want to interact with them, I will 'friend' them.  Unsolicited friend requests generally get rejected.  My settings are such that only friends of friends can send me a friend request, but some of my friends are indiscriminate in who they allow as friends, so being a friend of my friend is no guarantee that they are someone I want to talk to.

Then you get the trolls ans bots who try to get around the rule of only accepting friend requests from friends of friends.  If I make a public post, they will post that they "like what I post", and that their friend request wouldn't go through, and would I please send them a friend request.  The wording is so vague that it is obvious that they have never read any of my posts.  They are just trying to get around my block so that they can harvest my friends list.  The profile is always a middle-aged white guy, usually military or ex-military, with lots of photos and no text.  All stolen, of course.  Those posts get deleted and the poster blocked.

By wary of friends who have public friends lists.  They are how the randos find you.  I know of people who will un-friend anyone who has a public friends list, no matter how well they know the person, just because of the security risk.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •