Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Peru classifies trans people as ‘mentally ill’ after government decree

Started by LoriDee, May 15, 2024, 06:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoriDee

Peru classifies trans people as 'mentally ill' after government decree
Full Article
Pink News - Amelia Hansford
May 15, 2024

Trans, non-binary, and intersex people in Peru are now classified as "mentally ill" following a decree from the government's health ministry.

The decree, signed by Peruvian president Dina Boluarte, defines "transsexualism" and "gender identity disorder in children" as mental illnesses.

It also categorises "dual-role transvestitism," "fetishistic transvestism," and "other gender identity disorders" under the same bracket of mental illness.

The country's health ministry reportedly claimed following the decree's announcement that it was the only way it could "guarantee full coverage of medical attention for mental health."

The decree will change language in the Essential Health Insurance Plan (PEAS) to reflect the view of trans and intersex people as a mental health disorder.

The health ministry stressed in a statement on Friday (11 May) that despite the decree, LGBTQ+ people should not be subjected to so-called "conversion therapies" and pointed to a 2021 resolution which protects against conversion therapy practises.

Trans groups across Peru have loudly condemned the decision as a step backwards for the country's already complex relationship with LGBTQ+ rights.

----------

In general, this looks like a bad thing in that it stigmatizes us all as "mentally ill". On the flipside though, it was supposedly done to guarantee LGBTQ+ health care. That should prevent any laws prohibiting such care. Who doesn't want to help the "mentally ill"?
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

BlueJaye

How are intersex people included in this? I don't understand.
  •  

LoriDee

It is quite confusing. Some of it is our own fault.

L=Lesbian
G=Gay
B=Bisexual
   are sexual orientations.

T=Transgender
Q=Queer
+=Everyone else who is non-binary
   are gender identities.

By lumping everyone together, we create confusion in those who don't understand what the terms mean.
They assume that every one that is not "straight" is automatically in the LGBTQ+ category. Of course, we accept everyone because, as a group, we are more inclusive than those who are hetero and/or binary.

Then we have all the possible combinations of gender identities coupled with sexual orientation, including heterosexual. How can we expect anyone to understand when we get confused ourselves?

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

SoupSarah

If you go to the source here:
https://busquedas.elperuano.pe/dispositivo/NL/2287398-1

you will see (if you translate it) that this is about national insurance for health care, and not allowing insurance to exclude any conditions.. It uses the ICD-10 diagnoses, that are used worldwide to classify disorders and states that anything in these classifications is legally covered.

For example one of the codes covered, F64.0 ( https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/F01-F99/F60-F69/F64-/F64.0 ) transsexualism, is now covered under state law. It is a shame that the ICD.10 still indicates that these are mental disorders. A mental disorder is not a mental illness BTW, but it is biased reporting to state that this was something the Peruvian government has stated or some 'backwards step' as posted by the pink news.. This is a case of checking your facts before getting offended.. many people are too easily offended.. I think most people in Peru will welcome this move forward in what is a country with a lot of other issues.

As a side note, intersex is in the ICD-10 - The ICD-10-CM diagnosis code for indeterminate sex is Q56.4. The World Health Organization (WHO) lists this code under the range of congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities. Again, bad reporting by Pink News stating that this was being listed as a mental disorder.. when it is clearly not, just a disorder also included in the new legislation.
Beware the darkness of dragons, Beware the stalker of dreams, Beware the talons of power and fire, Beware one who is not what she seems.
  •  

LoriDee

I was talking to a friend about this. He wasn't speaking about Peru in particular, but politics in general. He said,

"There is only one reason to declare someone mentally ill. To control them."

That made me think.

2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Devlyn

But the ICD 11 has moved gender incongruence out of  "Mental and behavioural disorders" and into "Conditions related to sexual health".

Progress  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee