Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is No Op (no gender conforming surgery) a viable option for you?

Started by ChrissyRyan, May 14, 2024, 12:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie

Quote from: Jessica_K on June 08, 2024, 01:57:44 AMTrans health care is available but waiting times can be decades.

I'm sorry things are taking so long to get resolved and approved for you.  We have a bunch of politicians here that keep pushing for Canadian and UK type health care here in the US.  Idiots!

Paulie.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Gina P

At 61, my doc didn't even think age is a factor. Weight/bmi could be a factor, but I fell within parameters.  Having my full depth vaginoplasty on Wednesday. Insurance covers it though I have a max copay which will cost me $9500. I think op, or no op, orchi, or whatever depends on what is important to you. For me it was all or nothing. I couldn't think of myself as a woman with anything less than full depth.

Kay226

So much of my life has passed by me living by others expectations and societal standards. I grew up and lived pleasing others as my own needs were pushed way down. I am working with my therapist about my needs and who I am. So it is hard to answer this question at this time. When I was young, I heard about sex change operations like Caroline Cossey. I dreamed of a life where I was a beautiful woman. But I lived by everyone else's terms. At this moment, I am defining what my authentic life will be. Surgeries might not be necessary. Time will tell.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

SoupSarah

Wo
Quote from: Paulie on June 08, 2024, 02:37:41 AMI'm sorry things are taking so long to get resolved and approved for you.  We have a bunch of politicians here that keep pushing for Canadian and UK type health care here in the US.  Idiots!

Paulie.
Wow, Idiots?... very strong from someone who I expect has never experienced the NHS at first hand. I recently emigrated to the USA.. I have experience of both systems.. and both are deeply flawed all be it in different ways. If I had my way, I would have a free at the point of service health care anyday over the minefeild and expense that is health insurance. Who's in plan, how much copay, how much oop?.. boggles the mind and then pick the wrong hospital, or ambulance and you are levelled with a crippling invoice that the insurance won't pay..  And that is if you can even afford insurance.. as a huge amount of US citizens can not and go without any secure healthcare options, using emergency services or charity.

As for waiting times in the UK.. for urgent care they are about as long as the USA, unfortunately there is an issue with transgender care, that is 5-6 years at the moment.. but, I did not want to wait, so I paid private for my surgery. I had it done within 3 months of getting the paperwork finalised.. Its either get the money or wait 5 years.. choice is yours.. sell your car, mortgage your house, use your pension.. it depends on how important now is. If your in the USA, you probably have a few thousand dollars pre-pay on your insurance, so even though your covered and waiting lists are about 6-12 months (some surgeons are more popular than others) its still going to cost most people a substantial out of pocket.. in the UK, 5 years to surgery from application and it is done without any cost to you, including all follow up care and lifetime support.
Idiots indeed..
Beware the darkness of dragons, Beware the stalker of dreams, Beware the talons of power and fire, Beware one who is not what she seems.
  •