Mastodon Mastodon

Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Miss Maryland USA, an Asian American trans military wife, speaks out...

Started by Jessica_Rose, June 10, 2024, 05:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Miss Maryland USA, an Asian American trans military wife, speaks out against hate

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/miss-maryland-usa-an-asian-american-trans-military-wife-speaks-out-against-hate/ar-BB1nYm9v?ocid=windirect&cvid=23bc9f296a32444cafa6e028c7f38d8b&ei=17

Story by Sakshi Venkatraman (10 June 2024)

Newly crowned Miss Maryland USA, a Cambodian American trans woman and a military wife, is speaking out against transphobic hate comments she received after winning her title.

Bailey Anne Kennedy, 31, who immigrated from Cambodia when she was 11, said she was inspired to compete in beauty pageants after last year Miss USA lifted restrictions on contestants who are married and over the age 28. She won the state's title last week and celebrated the win Saturday at Washington, D.C.'s Capital Pride Parade.

"Sometimes the underdog does win in the end," Kennedy said in an Instagram post following her victory.

Some on social media criticized Kennedy and the Miss USA organization, making transphobic remarks about her inclusion and saying she didn't deserve to win over the pageant's cisgender women. She addressed the comments in another Instagram post.

"Not everyone has to agree with the spaces that you occupy, and it doesn't mean that you aren't worthy of these opportunities," she wrote. "The work that I will do for the remainder of my life is to make sure that children who feel like me will never have to worry about the consequences of being who they are by simply being myself and being a positive contribution to society."
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower, Kay226

Kay226

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on June 10, 2024, 05:07:47 PM"Not everyone has to agree with the spaces that you occupy, and it doesn't mean that you aren't worthy of these opportunities," she wrote. "The work that I will do for the remainder of my life is to make sure that children who feel like me will never have to worry about the consequences of being who they are by simply being myself and being a positive contribution to society."

I love how she explains this!!!

Thank you for posting this Jessica, it made my morning!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •  

Robbyv213

That's awesome! Love to hear about positive stories first thing in the morning.
  •