Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Wheel of Time

Started by Miss Placed, September 24, 2005, 11:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Placed

Anyone else here a Wheel of Time reader?

I love the world Robert Jordan has created, but I am not a big fan of his writing, particulary the way he deals with Love.

Although I have written elsewhere that it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I actually dared to think to admit that the 'real me'/'other person' in me was a woman, I have often over the last year+ daydreamed of entering The White Tower as a very young Novice, becoming an Aes Sedai and rising to become the Amyrilin Seat.

It is one of the fantasys I use to take my mind off of my crappy real life, and thus help me get to sleep at night... although lately I've not needed it.

•  

Shelley

I haven't read wheel of time but from your desciption it sounds like it is in the fantasy vein. I personally love Raymond E Fiest and when I feel a little down I often escape into the world that he has created and let the real world just travel on by.

Shelley
  •  

Miss Placed

Yes Shelley you are correct.

The difference with these books though, is that at the start of the series only females can safely wield magic, they are called Aes Sedai. Male magic wielders (who can also sometimes be termed 'Aes Sedai', but very rarely) are dangerous, so are hunted down by the female Aes Sedai, captured and the ability to use magic taken away from them.

The Aes Sedai have their own city that sits on island in the middle of a huge river. Within this city they have their compound/campus, the predominant building of which is a huge white tower, called, oddly enough, The White Tower.

Within the White Tower the Aes Sedai are formed into seven 'societies', called Ajah, each named after a colour, each one has a specific job/area of interest (i.e. Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah are Healers, the Grey Ajah are Politicians, Red Ajah hate men and are usually the ones who hunt down the male magic wielders). There is a secret seventh Ajah, the Black, members of this underground Ajah are evil and are also members of one of the other seven Ajah as 'cover'.

The White Tower is led by the Amyrlin Seat, who on being raised (elected) into the position, becomes of no Ajah and all Ajah at the same time (hence should have no favouritism for any Ajah, but represents them all). The White Tower and the Amyrlin Seat hold no real power in the world, yet nearly every major monarch or ruler on the main continent bows down to them. Imagine the Pope and the Vatican, and you get the idea. The Pope holds no real political power in the world, but when he shouts a lot of the world jumps! (not a good explanation, but it will suffice).

I tried to find a primer or synopsis, but all I could find was fan communities which seem to overlook the basics.

The following link was the best I could find for explaining Aes Sedai...
http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/organizations/aes_sedai/index.html

In essence at the start of the series the female Aes Sedai are revered and/or feared, many people respect them and look up to them, many other people despise them and think of them as witches.

Many Aes Sedai have Warders, who are male Ranger/Warrior types, who are magically bonded to their respective Aes Sedai and would lay down their lives for them (and vice versa). Some Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah have more than one Warder. Some marry their Warders (although I dont remember any instances of them having children). Red Ajah members never have warders, and view the warders of other sisters with some disdain.

In my fantasies I'd like to live as an Aes Sedai in their world, but several hundred years before the books begin.

Please don't think that this is part of my real life goal. I know full well what is reality and what is fantasy, I don't seek to be female in real life so I can become an Aes Sedai, I know that is impossible, but it is nice to dream that just gives me another outlet in which to let the female in me live.
  •  

stephanie

Nothing wrong with a good fantasy goal.  I've always wanted to be a mermaid.  :)  Ironic since I have a fear of deep water.
  •  

morr

Ur amazing!iv never met any1 who would so much into wot!i also like the series very much!do u play wot mud game?there u cn be what ever u want and everything is amazingly detailed!even the innkeeper basel in caemlyn is there etc.and u are right,there isnt any real wot community,just unorganised fan sites.. So are u still into wot?cya
  •