Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How do you know when you're really hungry?

Started by mina.magpie, January 18, 2009, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mina.magpie

I know that must sound really weird, but I've had a disordered binge/fast kinda eating pattern for years now, and so I find it's very hard for me to actually judge when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I try to control my weight through calorie counting, but that's really not ideal, and if I'm a bit rushed or stressed, it tends to kinda fall apart.

So how do you identify those, and do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Mina.
  •  

Nero

when i'm really hungry or have forgotten to eat, my stomach will start to hurt and sometimes it feels nauseous.
other than that, i just make sure i eat regularly so that i have enough fuel.
if you eat breakfast every morning, that will take care of the serious hunger usually. usually when i start to feel sick is because i haven't eaten all day.

you're full when you don't feel hungry anymore. you won't want to eat and nothing looks appetizing.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

mina.magpie

Quote from: Nero on January 18, 2009, 08:24:31 PMyou're full when you don't feel hungry anymore. you won't want to eat and nothing looks appetizing.

LOL. You see, that's never happened for me. ;)

Mina.
  •  

je

Quote from: mina.m>-bleeped-<ie
So how do you identify those, and do you have any advice?

Damn, I wish I had some awesome advice or something. I think you are trying to lose weight as well. :-\ Damn, I'm sorry that this post isn't helpful in the least.

•  

Alyssa M.

Hey Mina,

I'd ask a similar question -- how do you know when children are hungry? Well, they get whiney and lethargic and ill-tempered. The same goes for me -- even aside from normal hunger pangs and feeling woozy, I can usually see my behavior change after I'm hungry. I think most adults are the same; we just hide it better than children (which is why I asked about children).

As for feeling full -- well, that's just when you're full. Some people just don't feel it very well. The one thing that helps is to eat slowly. I usually eat very slowly, because I'm occupied with something else -- either conversation with whoever I'm eating with, or doing a crossword, reading, or something like that if I'm alone.

As for not calorie-counting, I'd suggest portion sizing as an alternative. I'm a bit the opposite of you with vaguely similar results -- I can certainly tell when I'm hungry or full; it's just that I don't really care. I can be ravenously hungry for a long time, and just ignore it, not out of any eating disorder, but because I just don't particularly care -- laziness, basically. But if I have food I like, I can just go on eating it. I'll tear through a bag of potato chips in half an hour. Baked goods diappear quickly.

So I get proper nutrition by keeping my as diet diverse as I can, and having a standard portion -- a medium bowl
of cereal or a small plate of eggs, toast, etc. for breakfast (usually two eggs is enough for me -- as opposed the French, for whom one egg is un oeuf :P); for dinner, a full but not overflowing plate, a sandwich for lunch, only one drink most of the time in the evening. Sometimes coffee and a patry in the afternoon if I am feeling down.

Anyway, the point is, the calories you get in any one day alone don't matter for maintaining a healthy diet -- it's the long-term average. So you can do a rough calorie count ahead of time by knowing what portion sizes are right.

And here's the key: I prepare at least part of what I eat when I eat it. So if I'm having rice, I make just enough of it for that evening; everything else I serve in proportion to it. If I prepared more, I'd have seconds -- because it's there. But once the rice is gone, well, I'm done. If I'm really hungry, I'll make something else, but that takes more effort, so I don't unless I really need it.

Anyway, that's how I do it. That and regular fun exercise -- hiking, skiing, pickup games of frisbee with friends, at least once a week. Hope this helps. Good luck, and best wishes!

~Alyssa

p.s. This doesn't work when you're in grad school. :-\
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

mina.magpie

Quote from: Alyssa M. on January 18, 2009, 11:19:26 PMwell, that's just when you're full. Some people just don't feel it very well.

LOL. that would be me. :P

QuoteI can certainly tell when I'm hungry or full; it's just that I don't really care. I can be ravenously hungry for a long time, and just ignore it, not out of any eating disorder, but because I just don't particularly care -- laziness, basically.

Grrrrrrrrrr. :P

QuoteThis doesn't work when you're in grad school. :-\

LOL. That didn't even work for me when I was just getting my B.Sc:D

Thanks for the tips sweetie, some really useful ones in there that I'll definitely give a try.

Mina.
  •  

Nicky

I'd agree with the whole portions thing too.

Maybe if you eat at regular times you might get your sense of hunger back. Instead of eating at random times, plan to eat 3 times a day - around the exact same times, figure out some portion sizes and go from there. If your body is expecting food at a certain time and your not getting it then it will tell you you are hungry. Maybe that would work. Might be worth a try. 
  •  

RebeccaFog

I haven't the faintest idea anymore. I eat like a freak. I take zantac every day and I think it makes me not feel hungry.  I may be ready to wean off the zantac.

Before the zantac, I used to eat whenever my stomach started burning.

Don't be like me.                :eusa_naughty:

Post Merge: January 19, 2009, 05:29:47 PM

If you're dieting, eat high protein stuff.  It keeps you from getting hungry again too quickly.  Stay away from bread. It's for people who need to get their weight up.
  •  

noxdraconis

One of the most important things to not feel so hungry is to keep busy.  I tend to feel hungry more often when I am doing something that does not require much movement or attention such as surfing the web, watching television, or reading a book, but when I do something that is mentally and or physically engaging such as walking my dog, tidying up the house, or even writing a report or playing videogames, I tend to be so focused on those tasks that I do not even notice any feelings of hunger until a while after I finish.  Also keep food out of sight.  Like Alyssa M. was saying, if you see it, you will eat it just because its there.  Out of sight, out of mind.

As for when are you hungry/full, I try not to consider any craving to eat as hunger unless my stomach burns with need, and I eat slowly so that my stomach has enough time to signal my brain that it is full.

•