Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Distinguishing between real hunger for calories and mere desire to munch

Started by Hypatia, March 19, 2008, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypatia

Since I've started counting calories for weight loss, I've found that it isn't hard to keep within my recommended daily limit! Hunger is when it's mealtime, when it's been long enough since the last meal, so that my blood sugar has dropped to where it signals I need more food. I need to feed that for real. If I eat enough healthful food to satisfy that need, it still keeps me within my caloric limit.

Desire to snack is just a habit of placating my mouth that for some reason wants to be savoring some treat (oral fixation as the shrinks call it), but now I'm starting to see how that is a separate desire from my actual nutritional needs. It doesn't hurt to say no to that. Or just tell it to be happy with celery or green tea. Or, if I really really have to have a snack, an apple suffices.

As long as I can distinguish between the two, that seems to be the main issue in weight loss. Just my impressions after the first 10 days of counting calories. Am I on the right track with understanding how this works?
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

lady amarant

Ah, I think you have it in the right dear-heart. Sadly I find that the knowing and the doing are two wholly seperate things though. If you can manage it, I you are my new role-model. Food and I have a very love-hate relationship. I love it, and it hates me.  ;D

Being vegetarian, and now vegan has helped, but really, I'm only pretty when I'm exercising enough to offset the bad habits.  ;)
  •  

Just Mandy

You should pick up a copy of Dean Ornish's book on weight loss (he has several and I'm not sure
which one I read) but he talks about high-glycemic foods that affect blood sugar levels and
also hunger and he explains it very well.

I started following his advise off and on several years ago and fairly strictly about a year ago.
I'm down to just under 150lbs  and my body fat has dropped to the low teens and I'm never hungry,
but unfortunately I have a lot more muscle to lose especially from my biceps and back to have any
chance of wearing short sleeves. If I could lose 10 pounds from my biceps I'd be golden :)

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: lady amarant on March 19, 2008, 06:27:19 PMBeing vegetarian, and now vegan has helped, but really, I'm only pretty when I'm exercising enough to offset the bad habits.  ;)
Glad to hear it-- I'm vegetarian too (formerly vegan until I went on HRT), and I agree it's one of the most helpful ways to trim down-- as long as you eat good veggie food. I once knew a self-proclaimed vegetarian who wolfed down junk and was obese. My one sister is a gourmet and has been fat all her life. Except when she was a teenager and became vegetarian. She instantly slimmed down to svelte and that lasted until she started meat again. In my case, the last time I switched to veggy was over 12 years ago, and it was good for dropping 20 pounds pronto (to my present weight). But since then my metabolism has gotten a bit the worse for wear... I still need to drop another 20 to get to BMI perfection.

I have made a decision to avoid arcane dieting concepts and stick with the tried and true method of counting calories. I found a cool site that makes it easy to keep track of calories in and calories out-- http://caloriecount.about.com/ So far, it's working!
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: Ashley Michelle on March 19, 2008, 06:43:15 PM
Quote from: lady amarant on March 19, 2008, 06:27:19 PM

I'm only pretty when I'm exercising enough to offset the bad habits.  ;)

lies, lies lies! 

boys and girls, simone is hot!

when the hrt really kicks in, she is gonna be drop-dead gorgeous!

remember, you heard it here first! ;)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

:icon_lemon:

My BMI hovers around 26 Ash. Thanks hon, but we both know that is too much.
  •  

funnygrl

i've got ya beat ladies, but i'm not going to say how much i weigh right now other than i have already lost 250 lbs and i did all that w/ exercise and the "South Beach Diet", which more or less if you've read the book is a Mediterrainean diet.

It works, alas i'm a very impatient person though as i am still very dude look'n and sometimes i get so depressed when i look into a mirroe that i don't workout for a week or two sometimes. :(
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: funnygrl on March 20, 2008, 02:15:45 AM
i've got ya beat ladies, but i'm not going to say how much i weigh right now other than i have already lost 250 lbs and i did all that w/ exercise and the "South Beach Diet", which more or less if you've read the book is a Mediterrainean diet.

Wow dear-heart. THAT is an accomplishment of note. If you can manage that, the last few kilos will come off easily, and once you get on HRT and the muscle-mass starts melting away, you won't be dude looking at all!
  •  

Nero

if i quit drinking, i'll be thin again. and pasta. got to stop eating heaping plates of pasta.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Hypatia

I'm Sicilian... and the hardest thing of all was to let go of my bread, pizza, & pasta addictions... minghia! But I'm succeeding at it. After all, Sicilians love vegetables too... and ceci...
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •